Stress and High numbers?

Olive_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi friends,

My numbers have been wonderful lately (all it took was changing absolutely everything about the way I eat, move, and live my life! lol). I just tested now though and was anticipating a similar reading to what I'd been getting the rest of the week (around 5.5-6). It's a 6.9. My wife suggested it could be because my stress levels are the highest they've been since I started testing. There's some transitions going on in my worklife and today we've hit the peak of it. Is the missus right? Figured I'd ask the experts!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Olive_B Stress releases hormones into your system (fight or flight syndrome) which causes insulin resistance, so yes stress does have a major impact on blood glucose levels. As a type 1 diabetic I can easily hit the teens with my numbers so require alot more insulin to control, deep relaxation is key to good control :)

D

Deleted member 489048

Miserable. Stress off the richter scale and diabetes is okay one minute then rocketing the next. I done good with my diabetes t2 in past and had got down to 6mmol now it seems ridiculous. Changed my meter from a Gluco Rx (price of strips ridiculous) to SD Codefree meter. (affordable strips). Lowest 6.8 to series of 9.9 then highest is 15.4mmol need to get back in control again. Not happy.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi friends,

My numbers have been wonderful lately (all it took was changing absolutely everything about the way I eat, move, and live my life! lol). I just tested now though and was anticipating a similar reading to what I'd been getting the rest of the week (around 5.5-6). It's a 6.9. My wife suggested it could be because my stress levels are the highest they've been since I started testing. There's some transitions going on in my worklife and today we've hit the peak of it. Is the missus right? Figured I'd ask the experts!
You can thank the cave men for this. Back in the sabre-tooth tiger days, when stress meant basically running/fighting for your life or getting eaten, stress hormones (adrenalin/cortisol) started triggering a response from the liver. In turn, the liver'd dump glucose so you'd have energy to either fight the toothy beast, or run like heck. Alas, we see very different kinds of stress these days, (I'd prefer fluffy tigers!) but our bodies still have the same response. Stress? Trigger hormones! Which in turn triggers a liver dump. So yeah, the missus is absolutely spot-on. It also means that this is just temporary. Don't let it be another stress factor. ;)

Olive_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only