Carnivore questions

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Do you carnivores worry about other micros? Need to take supplements? Or does that steak have everything a body needs?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you carnivores worry about other micros? Need to take supplements? Or does that steak have everything a body needs?

I take supplements but not through worries about deficiencies caused by carnivore:

- Folate because of an identified deficiency
- Magnesium and potassium to ward off cramps, which are a long-standing issue.
- Vitamin D3 / K2
- Have been taking vitamin c during Covid, but that’s not a regular thing

You might find this article (and the blog in general) interesting: https://zerocarbzen.com/vitamin-c/

E
dited to correct typo

Last edited:
Reactions: LaoDan

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I've understood it for the moment, organ meat has just about everything you need when it comes to vitamins/minerals (Liver, yum!), and while I am usually deficient in Vit D, I've been keeping that up to par with fatty fish for the last few years. If I forget to eat it for a week or so, I'll feel it. But everything I need should be in the meats... I hope. But then, I am just starting out on this journey and I'm only a few weeks in, with a lot of guesswork. ;)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really. I sometimes add a teaspoon of magnesium to a glass of water as we are all alleged deficient but apart from that mainly meat oh and salt in coffee too.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Eating carnivore can provide you with every nutrient you need - providing your body can make use of those nutrients. Liver is supposed to be the most nutrient dense food on the planet - to the point that you can eat too much and overdose on Vit A. There are also other carni 'superfoods' such as fish roe (salmon caviar :wacky:), brawn, and so on. The fats are all healthy, and usually unprocessed. Some people believe that eating dried fermented meats (traditionally made dried sausages) are also very beneficial.

Having been carni for... um... two and a half years, ish, I am certainly healthier than I was while I was eating veg, which were doing horrible things to my gut.

Unfortunately, several bouts of gut rot during the last 50 years seem to have left me with a reduced capacity to absorb some nutrients (folate B12 and Vit D), so I supplement a few things, and during Covid I have added Vit C in too. I also supplement collagen, to help my creaky joints. The Vit C helps with the collagen absorption, because they work in synergy. To be honest, with the amount of bone broth I inhale, the collagen is probably redundant, but I ain't taking any more chances with my knees. :hilarious:

I'm confident that someone without my medical history of gut problems/malabsorption would be easily able to get every nutrient from a carnivorous way of eating - and could thrive on it.