Any benefit of GF diet on BG

TypeZero.

Non-coeliac here just wondering if anyone has seen better BG control while abstaining from gluten.

Seen a number of claims online about a leaky gut syndrome and how these can cause bacteria,viruses and toxins to enter blood stream which triggers autoimmunity.

Gluten seems to be suspect number 1

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As someone is Coeliac as well as T1, stuff like gluten free bread and other gluten free stuff (that would normally have gluten in) tends to have more carbs than normal gluten-y stuff, its also quite a bit more expensive for bread at least.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Non-coeliac here just wondering if anyone has seen better BG control while abstaining from gluten.

Seen a number of claims online about a leaky gut syndrome and how these can cause bacteria,viruses and toxins to enter blood stream which triggers autoimmunity.

I have no Coeliac diagnosis, but do use a strictly gluten diet, on the instructions of my Endo.

My feeling is if a person has issues with gluten (whether Coeliac or non-Coeliac Glutn Intolerance), they may see a margin of improvement, due to a lowering of their inflammation markers, pushing bloods up a bit, but that could easily be countered by an increase in carb consumption if gluten-free variants are consumed.

Personally, being someone who eats a reduced carb lifestyle anyway, I decided that I wasn't eating bread or pasta before going GF, so there was no reason to eat them after. I just carried on with that, but then avoided the residual gluten in my diet.

For anyone thinking a GF lifestyle is easy, I urge them to think again. The impacts go way, way wider than just avoiding "normal" bread and pasta. For example, there is gluten in cola drinks, soy sauce, and so on.

I feel a definite benefit from being gluten free, but if I didn't actually need to, I'd avoid it. It takes quite a bit of headspace for the first several months. Not days, or weeks, but months.

Just to add, finally, a reminder that I am neither T1 nor an insulin user.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gluten has actually been a help to me in controlling my BG as I make low carb rolls of which the main ingredient is vital wheat gluten. Obviously if you are celiac or gluten intolerant that wouldn't work.

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach
My husband has had NCGS since 2013 and we've been completely gluten-free and quite happy on that. Because I missed having something to spread cream cheese on, I bought some Atkins crispbreads, which are about 1.8g carbs per crispbread IIRC. Tasted a bit salty, but otherwise fine. After the second day, I felt nauseous and had a terrible rear end incident. The rest went out to the birds.

I don't know whether our gut microbiome adapts to the foods it gets regularly, or whether I was gluten-intoleant and didn't know it. But no crispbread is worth that lol.

Removing all flour, cereals, grains and gluten from your diet probably helps blood glucose numbers. Beware gluten free products. The alternatives can be just as carby, if not worse, with loads of additives and weird ingredients.

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach

My husband has NCGS and we have been eating gluten free since around 2012. Difficult to say re: BG, as we went organic and I went low carb, all in the same time frame. He bought gluten-free products a lot, at first, but now makes his own gluten-free bread. About the only gluten-free products he buys now, are GF organic granolas and GF beer.

Modern wheat has been bred and genetically modified out of all recognition from ancient wheat. so it's likely that it's not great for gut health.