Diet sodas

Caprock94

In the US soda wise there is all Zevia sodas sweetened with just stevia. Reeds or Virgils zero soda sweetened with just stevia. Blue Sky sugar free sweetened with stevia and erythritol. And then they are Spindrift sparkling with only fruit at 4 carbs. Also sparkling waters with no carbs and essence of fruit, nothing artificial flavor wise in Mountain Valley, La Croix, Perrier, Polar. I'm sure there is more out there too.

Worth a try!

Reactions: Marie 2

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to work with someone who drank 20 cans of diet coke a day. That was 40 years ago. I'd be very interested to know how he is now.

20!

Diet coke has been my preferred fizzy (along with mineral water, a habit born of many visits to Italy) for decades. The other half has the very unscientific opinion that is what "gave me diabetes" as, according to his logic, "your body will think you are eating sugars and respond to that even though there are no sugars".

I think that's superficially attractive nonsense, but then that's a good definition of why I married them.

As others have said, in moderation I don't think it's an issue (except for people with specific allergies/reactions).

JRT

I tend to drink them rarely and usually as a mixer when obviously better than full sugar. There have been questions over sweeteners for years,probably best to aim for most natural. For me I did hear one argument against diet drinks. It was on a BBC programme about how/ why diets work or dont work. Apparently we crave something sweet, drink the diet drink and your brain recognises the sweetness but the body doesnt so craves more. I've tended to avoid it since!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I tend to drink them rarely and usually as a mixer when obviously better than full sugar. There have been questions over sweeteners for years,probably best to aim for most natural. For me I did hear one argument against diet drinks. It was on a BBC programme about how/ why diets work or dont work. Apparently we crave something sweet, drink the diet drink and your brain recognises the sweetness but the body doesnt so craves more. I've tended to avoid it since!

I think "they " must be right I had a diet Pepsi a while ago and then found myself eating 4 or 5 olives and half a pickled cucumber slice :angelic:

Mind you the cucumber did have dill in it.