Lockdown has caused spike in sugars.. can anyone else help!??

Oxyinnes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys- wondering if anyone can relate or recommend what's going on?

I've been T1 now for almost 10 years, and am on the accu check insight pump.

Obviously, lockdown has changed and altered every ones routines and daily lives.

I'm currently working from home- but still doing workouts ( body pump and spinning). I've recently noticed that my muscle mass has increased slightly, and I'm wondering if my basal rates are slightly out- therefore requiring a higher basal rate?

I'm on the pump, and on a u/h of 0.88. Over night, my sugars are fine (going by my libre) - and I wake up around 4/5mmol.

However, after eating my breakfast ( which is the same every day- over night oats) and carb counting as per- my sugars seem to spike around a hour after giving bolus with breakfast and waking up.This stops me from doing body pump before work- as I know this will send my sugars even higher and result in hyperglycemia. My levels then stay around 12/13mmol all day until lunchtime, when I need to give bolus with food.

I'm wondering if the basal rate needs to be altered and whether or not anyone else has realised they need a higher basal rate due to lounging around the house more? I know that the minute I start going out of the house and back to normal that my basal requirements will be back to normal- but this is proving hell at the moment!

I know the dawn phenomenon is something that can happen- but I've not noticed it in 'normal life' up until now.

SOOO many different factors could be causing this and it's really starting to get me down :(

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Reactions: MattH892

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Oxyinnes and welcome to the forum
My basal rates have been up and down for a while now, one day I get everything spot on, the next I am no where near (oh the joys of T1D). The past few days I have been getting DP.....As you are more than aware after 10 years you can do the same thing day after day and get perfect results, then for no reason, your BGs will rocket with no explanation. Could it be time of month? Are you coming down with something? Sorry I am not really very helpful for you in this case

Oxyinnes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Oxyinnes and welcome to the forum
My basal rates have been up and down for a while now, one day I get everything spot on, the next I am no where near (oh the joys of T1D). The past few days I have been getting DP.....As you are more than aware after 10 years you can do the same thing day after day and get perfect results, then for no reason, your BGs will rocket with no explanation. Could it be time of month? Are you coming down with something? Sorry I am not really very helpful for you in this case

Hey ! Thanks for coming back to me :)
Yes very true! Time of the month is actually current, but coming to an end- usually my levels are a bit mad a week prior.

I've just tested on my libre, and on my meter also- can see that the libre is reading 10.3 , and my meter is reading 7.9. I know there's discrepancies, but still. Hmm. Wondering if my Libre has been slightly inaccurate the last week ( maybe I should change!) :rolleyes:

Reactions: MattH892

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hey ! Thanks for coming back to me :)
Yes very true! Time of the month is actually current, but coming to an end- usually my levels are a bit mad a week prior.

I've just tested on my libre, and on my meter also- can see that the libre is reading 10.3 , and my meter is reading 7.9. I know there's discrepancies, but still. Hmm. Wondering if my Libre has been slightly inaccurate the last week ( maybe I should change!) :rolleyes:

Do you totally rely on your Libre? Below 4 and above 10 they are very unreliable. I use the Miaomiao and xdrip+ and am able to calibrate it once daily. I still finger prick 3 times a day minimum BUT I will and often do bolus from the reading off Xdrip+

Oxyinnes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Oxyinnes do you scan your Libre with your phone or do you use the reader?
I ask because there are a number of alternative phone apps such as Glimp, Spike and xDrip.
One of the advantages of these apps over LibreLink is that they allow you to calibrate the Libre readings.
Initially, I found Libre too inaccurate to be of any use. Then I started using Glimp (I subsequently moved on to xDrip+) and by calibrating each morning when I get up and evening when I go to bed, I found my Libre readings are closer and I have more confidence in them.
The downside is it is not possible for me to share my readings with my diabetes team.

If you don't want to go down that route, I would strongly recommend a finger prick reading at least once a day to tell you whether your Libre is doing well or not.

Hey :)

I use my phone (I've been using the Libre for about a month now) - so still getting used to it.

Sounds good to try these apps . Sometimes I've felt lower than the Libre suggests- sometimes reads 16mmol and I'm thinking hang on.. I don't feel that bad!

Yeah, that's a good idea regarding a finger prick once a day- it's often the readings in the morning that are higher and I level out in the day. Especially after HIIT training!

Thanks so much for your advice, I really appreciate it. :)

Reactions: In Response

Oxyinnes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you totally rely on your Libre? Below 4 and above 10 they are very unreliable. I use the Miaomiao and xdrip+ and am able to calibrate it once daily. I still finger prick 3 times a day minimum BUT I will and often do bolus from the reading off Xdrip+

I've only been using the Libre for around a month and so far had little issues with the accuracy. Thanks ever so much for the app recommendation. Do you use MySugr app too? I've been advised to give bolus from entering Libre data- and doing it off that. But, obviously if the Libre isn't right- then I'm going to end up with too little or too much insulin. Hmmmm.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I've only been using the Libre for around a month and so far had little issues with the accuracy. Thanks ever so much for the app recommendation. Do you use MySugr app too? I've been advised to give bolus from entering Libre data- and doing it off that. But, obviously if the Libre isn't right- then I'm going to end up with too little or too much insulin. Hmmmm.

I let my pump do all the calculations for me :). Still work it out in my head to get a rough figure in my head before I press the give bolus button :)
The Miaomiao is an add-on to turn the Libre into a CGM with alarms when used with a 3rd party app.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, as has been said and Abbot themselves say, the libre is less accurate below 4 and above 10. I also do finger prick tests once every few days to check the sensor but have been happy with accuracy for the most part and my predicted libre HbA1c was only 1 mmol lower than my recent actual (47 predicton 48 actual) so it confirmed that I seem to be lucky with accuracy! If you're in the initial NHS 6 month trial you have to scan a certain number of times a day to retain the sensors on prescription for free, so maybe check whether using the apps would be ok as @inresponse said the app meant readings couldn't be shared with your diabetes team? Unless you can manually share them as an email attachment etc?

Re doses - I'm not on a pump but noticed my bolus doses needed to be administered a lot earlier before breakfast and lunch when my usual 'on my feet all day' job became desk based in lockdown. My consultant said this made sense, as your circulation isn't pumping as hard if you're sitting. I usually did some eversize at the end of the workday and noticed my eve meal bolus could be timed as before lockdown.

Interestingly my total basal need has come down loads in lockdown, which I think maybe comes down to being less stressed working from home! I was really confused at the start of lockdown as I kept having hypos eventhough I was less active, gradual reductions in basal solved that.

Reactions: porl69

Oxyinnes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I let my pump do all the calculations for me :). Still work it out in my head to get a rough figure in my head before I press the give bolus button :)
The Miaomiao is an add-on to turn the Libre into a CGM with alarms when used with a 3rd party app.
Ah I see! I think sometimes I might be under calculating my carbs- which would explain why I spike so much after breakfast and lunch..

Just need to try and ensure my readings are correct or I'll end up going to high or low.

Deffo gonna give the Miaomiao app a go - thank you :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Ah I see! I think sometimes I might be under calculating my carbs- which would explain why I spike so much after breakfast and lunch..

Just need to try and ensure my readings are correct or I'll end up going to high or low.

Deffo gonna give the Miaomiao app a go - thank you :)

If I am unsure then I will under estimate and go higher rather than the dreaded hypo. I am hypo unaware and it can cause problems. Luckily the Libre/MM/Xdrip combo alarms me when starting to go low.

PS I am not getting anything for plugging the miaomiao :hilarious:

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was suffering a low a few times and the BG and the sensor read similar things. I mostly go high though!