Sukkarto and carbs?

beckynan

Hello. I've just been started on Sukkarto and have read the leaflet which says "you should make sure you eat carbs regularly throughout the day".

Lowering my carb intake feels right to me and I enjoy the diet. So how do I square the advice with a reduced carb diet please?? Thank you!

Reactions: Juicyj

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. The majority of us avoid carbs as much as possible.

Reactions: beckynan

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sukkarto is Metformin SR which many of us take. It's absurd if the leaflet says to take carbs regularly during the day. What is the point in taking Metformin if you have lots of carbs? My generic Metformin SR leaflet does not say this. It's your decision to take carbs regularly or not. Note the leaflet doesn't say how many carbs to take regularly during the day. If it was me I would contact the pharma company and challenge their advice?

Reactions: HSSS and beckynan

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I've just been started on Sukkarto and have read the leaflet which says "you should make sure you eat carbs regularly throughout the day".

Lowering my carb intake feels right to me and I enjoy the diet. So how do I square the advice with a reduced carb diet please?? Thank you!
That's.... Weird. Most metformin-esque leaflets tell people to try and change their diet first for 3 months before starting on it, to see whether they can get blood sugars down that way, and here they're telling you to eat carbs... That's pretty nuts.

Go with your gut.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just looked at my leaflet, revised September 2018, I see no mention of carbs.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just Googled the leaflet, and it does indeed advise, as described by @beckynan The link I am looking at is here:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/9563/pil

This is the statement:

".... You should continue to follow any dietary advice that your doctor has given you and you should make sure that you eat carbohydrates regularly throughout the day....."

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sukkarto is a generic variant of Glucophage (i.e. Metformin), SR or slow release versions. It is cheaper than the pharma ones, so has swept the board which our CCG's to prefer to save money. The active ingredient is compatible with Metformin but the pill base ingredients differ significantly. The mechanism used to delay normal Metformin is a form of natural cellulose that forms part of the matrix that is useful for capturing glucose during transit. However, the base of Sukkarto is chemical and does not dissolve and does not form the matrix. More importantly, the enteric coating used to delay the metabolism of the pill is also different. It is made from shellac, which is made from crushed insect bodies It provided them with protection. and does the same for the pills.

BUT shellac is a well known varnish used in the arts and crafts sector and is basically a waterproof shell on the pill. Now my experience with Sukkarto was short lived because I found it did not work for me at all. The pills were coming out the other end intact. Basically, my stomach acid was not strong enough to dissolve the med. I was also taking a PPI med to protect me from ulcers due to blood thinner meds,, which makes my stomach produce less acid.

So the requirement for carbs may be chemical to increase the hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Hydrogen from the carbs, chlorine from salt. This need to increase stomach acid just to swallow a pill is disturbing. and may trigger other problems in itself.

I asked my doctor to change me back, and there was no kickback. I think it was the threat to return the used pills back to him that did it (lol)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sukkarto is a generic variant of Glucophage (i.e. Metformin), SR or slow release versions. It is cheaper than the pharma ones, so has swept the board which our CCG's to prefer to save money. The active ingredient is compatible with Metformin but the pill base ingredients differ significantly. The mechanism used to delay normal Metformin is a form of natural cellulose that forms part of the matrix that is useful for capturing glucose during transit. However, the base of Sukkarto is chemical and does not dissolve and does not form the matrix. More importantly, the enteric coating used to delay the metabolism of the pill is also different. It is made from shellac, which is made from crushed insect bodies It provided them with protection. and does the same for the pills.

BUT shellac is a well known varnish used in the arts and crafts sector and is basically a waterproof shell on the pill. Now my experience with Sukkarto was short lived because I found it did not work for me at all. The pills were coming out the other end intact. Basically, my stomach acid was not strong enough to dissolve the med. I was also taking a PPI med to protect me from ulcers due to blood thinner meds,, which makes my stomach produce less acid.

So the requirement for carbs may be chemical to increase the hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Hydrogen from the carbs, chlorine from salt. This need to increase stomach acid just to swallow a pill is disturbing. and may trigger other problems in itself.

I asked my doctor to change me back, and there was no kickback. I think it was the threat to return the used pills back to him that did it (lol)
My prescription is just for generic Metformin SR; it used to be just for Glucophage SR brand. I'm not sure I have ever been given Sukkarto but have had other brands with Glucophage most commonly dispensed.

beckynan

Thanks so much for your comments and the explanation of how the drugs work. I have a call with my gp today to ask for a different drug that will allow me to reduce carbs without concern. What a great group you are!! Thanks again!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for your comments and the explanation of how the drugs work. I have a call with my gp today to ask for a different drug that will allow me to reduce carbs without concern. What a great group you are!! Thanks again!
(You could just try it without medication. ;) )

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just had my medication changed a month ago after 2 months on 1mg of Glimepiride and going Hypo sub 4 mmol/l a few times also low carbing.
Changed to Sukkarto SR 500 for two weeks and now 1000 for next 2 weeks and probably up to 2000 daily.
But my BG readings are now 5.5 to 7.5 over 1.5 higher than Glimepiride.
I never read anything about eating carbs on the leaflet that came with the medication.
I am due to speak with GP next week and I will bring it up that the Sukkarto is not doing anything to help BS levels, they are just the same as when I didn’t take any medication for the week between the change of medication.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just had my medication changed a month ago after 2 months on 1mg of Glimepiride and going Hypo sub 4 mmol/l a few times also low carbing.
Changed to Sukkarto SR 500 for two weeks and now 1000 for next 2 weeks and probably up to 2000 daily.
But my BG readings are now 5.5 to 7.5 over 1.5 higher than Glimepiride.
I never read anything about eating carbs on the leaflet that came with the medication.
I am due to speak with GP next week and I will bring it up that the Sukkarto is not doing anything to help BS levels, they are just the same as when I didn’t take any medication for the week between the change of medication.
Hi. Those BS readings aren't too bad? Metformin never does much for BS but just helps a bit. I would stay with it and the low-carbing and see what your next HBA1C is and take it from there?