Weight gain advice

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I agree with JoKalsbeek, I am/was a Thin Outside Fat Inside Type 2. I have been on Low Carb High(er) fat way of Eating for over1yr now.
I chose LCHF because I felt I didn't need to lose much weight, however as a side effect I lost 23lbs - but it's all fat I lost, not muscle.

I'm only 69yrs old, but all my investigations lead me to believe that
A). Muscle retention is both important and more difficult as we age.
B). Lots of protein AFTER weight Bearing (or resistance) exercise is the way to achieve that.
C). People who don't lose weight on LCHF are usually eating foo much fat e.g. adding 'fat bombs to their meals rather than eating real whole foods with the natural fat they contain. So it makes sense to think that eating higher amounts of fatty protein combined with enough exercise to build/retain muscles should do the trick!

tmule4

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social media
Thoughtless drivers
Modern jazz.
Oh, sorry, wasn't done yet and clicked post. I'm seeing a lot of carbs, but very little fats. You might want to cut down on the carbs and up the fats considerably, as well as the protein. Just an idea for weight gain. ;)
Yes, I didn't mention the fats. I eat quite a lot of butter already, but if I eat much more then my cholesterol will probably go through the roof. I didn't mention two or three other things, like salmon fillets and white fish in cheese sauce. And two beefsteaks per week - the total protein should be OK I think. Also I didn't mention my exercise - walking the dog in local country park, over quite rough ground, for half an hour every day. There's also the lawns, quite extensive and in this weather needing frequent attention. At 83, I don't do very much, but I don't really have a sedentary lifestyle. There's always plenty of DIY to do.
Anyway, thanks very much for your interest. I think I'm luckier than most T2's.

Poohbear616

Hi. It's up to to decide whether you look and feel overweight. A BMI of 22 is the same as me and I feel fine. GPs have tended to think GAD rather than C-peptide but knowledge is changing. GAD only tests for one aspect of the cause of T1 in adulthood whereas C-Peptide measures actual insulin production regardless of cause. Your GP may not be up to date on this.
Finally spoke to my doctor today about this after asking the receptionist repeatedly to get him to phone me.

He didn't do a C-peptide test but did 2 others that give the same information. They came back as me being definitely Type 2 which is a bit of a relief. He was also pleased with how much I got my HbA1C down in 4 months.

Reactions: MrsA2