Type 2 Reactive hypoglycaemia

Mete90

@Mete90

I had a rather unfortunate incident with a burger and fries from a motorway services, once.
Started with bg around 6, rose to a little over 12, and then took less than half an hour to drop down to below 5mmol/l
Rather an unpleasant experience, and I very nearly fell asleep at the wheel driving through the Peak District.
Not something I will EVER repeat.

Moral of the story: I ate too many carbs, my body dealt with the sudden rise by pumping out a lot of insulin which drove my bg down quickly too. I didn't hypo, although it felt horrible.
Easily avoided in future by avoiding the carb overload that set the up>down process off.
What I should have done was have a low carb meal, perhaps meat and salad, or crustless quiche and coleslaw, or egg mayo with a spoon. That would have kept my bg nice and low and steady, with no sudden rises or drops, and no nasty symptoms. I would have also felt a lot less tired, and arrived at my destination feeling great, instead of like a limp dishrag.

(I do have RH, and have recorded a number of well below 4 RH hypos, but the example given above didn't take me down to below 4, so wasn't a hypo)

Thanks for the advice I had a small boil of a avocado and egg salad on Monday for lunch and still my sugar dropped no carbs there

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice I had a small boil of a avocado and egg salad on Monday for lunch and still my sugar dropped no carbs there
I think you're looking in the wrong direction with thinking it's reactive hypoglycemia. You haven't described dropping quickly after eating carbs (which is RH).

You have described what happens when you lower your blood sugars to more healthy levels after getting used to high levels.
When your body is used to higher levels, like the 7 to 12 you mention, it's expected a 5 or 6 will feel like a hypo.

With your monday lunch you didn't eat carbs so you dropped to healthy levels because you had no carbs to make your blood sugar go as high as you're used to.
Exercise can bring down your blood sugar levels as well, which is perfectly normal.

Can it be you're simply getting your diabetes under control and lowering your numbers instead of RH? It may be just your body needing to get used to the new normal.
Like needing time to get in a hot bath to get used to the temperature. First it feels like it burns (the hypo feeling) before finding out the temperature is actually pretty comfortable.

Reactions: Mete90

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @JoKalsbeek

My last post above was in response to your question about whether anyone had experienced a rapid blood glucose drop. It wasn’t intended to suggest you have RH.

none of us here can give you a diagnosis of any kind, but the descriptions you give fit false hypos more than RH. You would need far more testing for anyone to get a clear indication.

Please do not use RH as a red herring to keep your blood glucose high.

Reactions: Mete90 and Antje77

Mete90

I think you're looking in the wrong direction with thinking it's reactive hypoglycemia. You haven't described dropping quickly after eating carbs (which is RH).

You have described what happens when you lower your blood sugars to more healthy levels after getting used to high levels.
When your body is used to higher levels, like the 7 to 12 you mention, it's expected a 5 or 6 will feel like a hypo.

With your monday lunch you didn't eat carbs so you dropped to healthy levels because you had no carbs to make your blood sugar go as high as you're used to.
Exercise can bring down your blood sugar levels as well, which is perfectly normal.

Can it be you're simply getting your diabetes under control and lowering your numbers instead of RH? It may be just your body needing to get used to the new normal.
Like needing time to get in a hot bath to get used to the temperature. First it feels like it burns (the hypo feeling) before finding out the temperature is actually pretty comfortable.

I’m really hoping it is jo,I will not treat my “hypos “ tomorrow and see the outcome the only thing I fear is that from a 6 it can drop even lower quicker

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
,I will not treat my “hypos “ tomorrow and see the outcome the only thing I fear is that from a 6 it can drop even lower quicker
emoji22.png
What about seeing what happens, and if you feel horrible treat with a very little bit of carbs?
That way you may not shoot right back to high levels but nudge them up enough to feel comfortable.

That should give your body time to get used to lower numbers without the dreadful feeling.

Good luck, and let us know how you're doing!

Reactions: HSSS and Mete90

Mete90

Hi @Mete90
I'll just tell you about my experience with my RH and how carbs have a direct effect on your blood levels. The same symptoms effect both RH and T2.

Depending on your insulin response, the amount of carbs dictate how quickly you spike, if because of insulin resistance and hyperinsulinaemia which does happen to some T2s. This means that your blood levels rise quickly. If I did this, I would get hyper symptoms, starting with headache and eyes blur a lot. Once I've spiked probably in double figures from normal within an hour, my blood levels would start falling steadily because of a secondary insulin response, this is when I get more symptoms as you describe, when you say you are having a hypo, it's a false hypo.
But because my insulin continues, I go hypo!
Most T2s, only go hypo when meds are involved. Unless they have T2 with RH. Or have another condition which will cause Hypoglycaemia.
A lot of doctors are not trained in the way to treat diabetic conditions and follow NHS guidelines. Which are not tailored to everyone.
I would if I were you would keep a food diary and record the readings you are getting.
I would also limit my carb intake, and persevere with getting good control of your blood levels.

Keep safe

Thanks for the advice

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m really hoping it is jo,I will not treat my “hypos “ tomorrow and see the outcome the only thing I fear is that from a 6 it can drop even lower quicker
Trust in your liver. It'll dump glucose when you're too low. (And especially if you're panicky and stressed, as stress hormones signal the liver to release glucose). Otherwise, if you are really panicking, just eat something. Preferably fats and protein, no carbs, but.... If you feel a desperate need to go for carbs out of sheer panic, have a LITTLE.... Don't go for 15 grams of sugar, but just a little bit. A little nudge. I know it's scary, I remember certain times all too well, where I grabbed a half a roll of Dextro's because I didn't know what else to do. No judgement here if you do. Just don't overdo it, okay? You'd get a massive peak and you want your body to get used to not having to deal with those any more. You want it to get accustomed to normal, healthy blood sugars that don't harm you. So take it slow. ;)

You can do this.
Jo

Reactions: Mete90

Mete90

Trust in your liver. It'll dump glucose when you're too low. (And especially if you're panicky and stressed, as stress hormones signal the liver to release glucose). Otherwise, if you are really panicking, just eat something. Preferably fats and protein, no carbs, but.... If you feel a desperate need to go for carbs out of sheer panic, have a LITTLE.... Don't go for 15 grams of sugar, but just a little bit. A little nudge. I know it's scary, I remember certain times all too well, where I grabbed a half a roll of Dextro's because I didn't know what else to do. No judgement here if you do. Just don't overdo it, okay? You'd get a massive peak and you want your body to get used to not having to deal with those any more. You want it to get accustomed to normal, healthy blood sugars that don't harm you. So take it slow. ;)

You can do this.
Jo

Hi jo
Sadly I had a piece of rye bread with cheese and plain yoghurt and raisins even that took my glucose from 8 down to 5 within 1:30
I just couldn’t risk it as my legs started trembling hate 4 jelly babies sweet to get back on track.
They really draining these fake hypos

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi jo
Sadly I had a piece of rye bread with cheese and plain yoghurt and raisins even that took my glucose from 8 down to 5 within 1:30
I just couldn’t risk it as my legs started trembling hate 4 jelly babies sweet to get back on track.
They really draining these fake hypos
Going from an 8 to a 5 is... Sorry, but it sounds healthy to me. Your body doesn't agree yet, sadly... But it will get better. Take your time. And give yourself a break after you feel like this. Hypo's, whether real or false, take a LOT out of you. You can still feel wobbly the next day. So you go and be gentle with yourself, get some rest if you can.

Mete90

Going from an 8 to a 5 is... Sorry, but it sounds healthy to me. Your body doesn't agree yet, sadly... But it will get better. Take your time. And give yourself a break after you feel like this. Hypo's, whether real or false, take a LOT out of you. You can still feel wobbly the next day. So you go and be gentle with yourself, get some rest if you can.

Hi jo and all
Your advice may come as a miracle for me cause I had a salad for lunch numbers went from 9–11 than felts very hungry an hour and half later had a peanut butter sandwich it dropped down to 6.4 which usually I get fake hypos but didn’t today, so I didn’t have the extra sweet stuff, just kept an eye and for the first time it didn’t go below 6 which for me is win win. I really hope as you said that they just fake and I’ll be fine.
Cause I’m very happy this evening