Please tell me taking Metformin gets better...

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A type 2 newbie here. Received the results of my last Friday's fasting blood test on Monday. GP confirmed HbA1c was 52, and prescribed 500mg Metformin twice a day.

I've read the sheet of text that's tucked into the tablet's pack, and it does say symptoms will subside.

About 3-4 hours after taking a tablet I seem to get nauseous, stomach cramps, diarrhoea, fuzzy head and eyesight.

I guess I've just got to ride the symptoms until my body gets use to Metformin?

Since Monday I've gone very low carb, perhaps this sudden change of diet isn't helping?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since Monday I've gone very low carb, perhaps this sudden change of diet isn't helping?

Long term the dietary changes will likely be better for you than the pills.

I gave up on metformin after 3 weeks of toilet hell.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Long term the dietary changes will likely be better for you than the pills.

I gave up on metformin after 3 weeks of toilet hell.

You've done a great job of fixing yourself.

I'm not sure I could continue like this for the next few months. I've sort of made my mind up to continue with the pills till Tuesday, and if by then I'm feeling as I do now, I'll contact my GP telling him I'd go down the very low carb route without the Metformin.

Reactions: bulkbiker

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've done a great job of fixing yourself.

I'm not sure I could continue like this for the next few months. I've sort of made my mind up to continue with the pills till Tuesday, and if by then I'm feeling as I do now, I'll contact my GP telling him I'd go down the very low carb route without the Metformin.
If metformin side effects don't subside within 2 weeks, they're not going to. So certainly not something you want to continue for months.

You could call your doc and ask for 3 month's grace to try diet first. It is more effective than metformin ever will be. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html have a read, decide for yourself what you're willing to put yourself through. ;)
Jo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A type 2 newbie here. Received the results of my last Friday's fasting blood test on Monday. GP confirmed HbA1c was 52, and prescribed 500mg Metformin twice a day.

I've read the sheet of text that's tucked into the tablet's pack, and it does say symptoms will subside.

About 3-4 hours after taking a tablet I seem to get nauseous, stomach cramps, diarrhoea, fuzzy head and eyesight.

I guess I've just got to ride the symptoms until my body gets use to Metformin?

Jennifer - Did you start on 2 tablets a day? Many find it helps to start on one a day, then after a couple of weeks, start the second. As I say, some find that a bit gentler.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @DCUKMod, it seems to be safest to start on the lowest possible dose. In addition, are you taking the pills with meals? That should help.And have you got the slow release form? These are usually considered easier to tolerate. The branded Glucophage may be easier on the stomach than the generic ones. People here are very divided abut Metformin. If you Google you can find lots in its favour, with beneficial side-effects that go beyond its effect on blood glucose levels. Personally I am very happy to take the maximum dose.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If metformin side effects don't subside within 2 weeks, they're not going to. So certainly not something you want to continue for months.. ;)
Jo

When I feel like this, two weeks sounds a long time. I just can't seem to think straight at the moment, and I hate feeling like this.

Thank you for the reply Jo, your suggestion sounds right! Thanks also for the link.

Jennifer - Did you start on 2 tablets a day? Many find it helps to start on one a day, then after a couple of weeks, start the second. As I say, some find that a bit gentler.

The first tablet was with dinner on Tuesday evening, without any problems, Wednesday I had one with a late breakfast about 10 am, then at about 1.30pm for about an hour I felt bad, really fuzzy head, couldn't think straight, blurry eyes, and stomach cramps that lasted about an hour. I took another tablet at dinner time again, and about a couple of hours later I had the same symptoms, so I took myself to bed. This morning had another tablet with breakfast an hour or so after I tried to keep myself busy by taking the dog for a walk, only my legs felt really week and wobbly. As soon as I got home I had to make a mad dash for the loo.... I won't go into any details :) I'm a bit scared of taking another one, though I could try to just have one at breakfast over the weekend.

Thanks for your reply DCUKMod :)

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @DCUKMod, it seems to be safest to start on the lowest possible dose. In addition, are you taking the pills with meals? That should help.And have you got the slow release form? These are usually considered easier to tolerate. The branded Glucophage may be easier on the stomach than the generic ones. People here are very divided abut Metformin. If you Google you can find lots in its favour, with beneficial side-effects that go beyond its effect on blood glucose levels. Personally I am very happy to take the maximum dose.

Thank you Alexandra, yes I'm taking them with meals. I don't believe the tablets I'm taking are in the slow release form. The brand is TEVA.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will be discussing them with my GP>

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just for context, I was diagnosed at 55. Initially metformin was mentioned but when I said I was determined to treat it with lifestyle changes it was no problem and have never taken them. Next test at 3 months was 44. Lots have come down lower , from higher, without any meds, just low carb.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
With the HbA1c you are starting from, not many on here would raise an eyebrow if you decided to not use Metformin.

I removed Metformin and haven't looked back.

With lifestyle changes, you could reverse this condition, or at worst be pre-diabetic.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I feel like this, two weeks sounds a long time. I just can't seem to think straight at the moment, and I hate feeling like this.

Thank you for the reply Jo, your suggestion sounds right! Thanks also for the link.

The first tablet was with dinner on Tuesday evening, without any problems, Wednesday I had one with a late breakfast about 10 am, then at about 1.30pm for about an hour I felt bad, really fuzzy head, couldn't think straight, blurry eyes, and stomach cramps that lasted about an hour. I took another tablet at dinner time again, and about a couple of hours later I had the same symptoms, so I took myself to bed. This morning had another tablet with breakfast an hour or so after I tried to keep myself busy by taking the dog for a walk, only my legs felt really week and wobbly. As soon as I got home I had to make a mad dash for the loo.... I won't go into any details :) I'm a bit scared of taking another one, though I could try to just have one at breakfast over the weekend.

Thanks for your reply DCUKMod :)

Jennifer, nobody on here can tell you to change your medication, or the doses you take. That would be something to discuss with your GP/Nurse, or if you felt confident, it would be your own call if you decide to make changes.

One other thing is that some folks get on better with specific brands.

I don't take Sukkarto or Metformin at all, but I take medication for my thyroid and don't get on with TEVA brand. I'm not alone in that (for thyroid medications at least).

I would suggest you have a chat with your GP/Nurse. I imagine a telephone consultation could be perfect for that.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just for context, I was diagnosed at 55. Initially metformin was mentioned but when I said I was determined to treat it with lifestyle changes it was no problem and have never taken them. Next test at 3 months was 44. Lots have come down lower , from higher, without any meds, just low carb.

With the HbA1c you are starting from, not many on here would raise an eyebrow if you decided to not use Metformin.

I removed Metformin and haven't looked back.

With lifestyle changes, you could reverse this condition, or at worst be pre-diabetic.

Thank you HSSS and Mbaker, your replies are seriously reassuring! There's such a lot of information to absorb, but I've got a target to aim at now!

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jennifer, nobody on here can tell you to change your medication, or the doses you take. That would be something to discuss with your GP/Nurse, or if you felt confident, it would be your own call if you decide to make changes.

One other thing is that some folks get on better with specific brands.

I don't take Sukkarto or Metformin at all, but I take medication for my thyroid and don't get on with TEVA brand. I'm not alone in that (for thyroid medications at least).

I would suggest you have a chat with your GP/Nurse. I imagine a telephone consultation could be perfect for that.

Interesting about the brands being different! Never thought of that. There's no nurse seeing patients at my surgery, not even for taking blood. For my blood test a friend suggested a free-lance nurse that came to me, she took my blood in the garden - strange times we're living in ;).

I will be booking a chat with my GP, if only to pacify my husband :) But I must admit, life style changes is looking really exciting.

loiphamp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I stay in KETO diet for three years now I can eat anything I like (ice cream,pasta,pizza)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stay in KETO diet for three years now I can eat anything I like (ice cream,pasta,pizza)
To be fair it’s not been unheard of for people in here to get control, be able to eat such carb laden foods - until it all starts to unravel again. Whatever is susceptible in their biological makeup goes wrong all over again after some re-exposure to the same old triggers. For some it’s quick. For others it’s slower but it usually happens. Better not to poke the sleeping bear with excessive carbs ever again.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did keto for 6 months in 2016, why oh why didn't I stick to it! :banghead:
Hey, then you have an advantage: You already know how to do it! ;) Silver linings... You're going to be fine. (And none of us can tell you what to do with your medication. That's between you and the prescriber. But if you happen to forget to take it... Just don't also forget to keep an eye on your blood sugars, a meter is the best tool in this whole diabetes-combat thing.)

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could call your doc and ask for 3 month's grace to try diet first. It is more effective than metformin ever will be. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html have a read, decide for yourself what you're willing to put yourself through. ;)
Jo

Just read your article. Perfect for me, thank you. Have just purchased Dr Fung's book (via Kindle) 'The Diabetes Code - Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally'. He's quite active on YouTube if any one is interested.

Can also endorse your suggestion of the The Diet Doctor, I'd completely forgotten about this site. Didn't this doctor cause a butter 'crisis' in his home country several years ago, raising butter prices 3x times?

When I first did keto; it was viewed as a bit of cranky diet..... it's brilliant to see how it's now flourishing.

Feel as if I've been asleep! But I'm waking up now :)

Reactions: Debmcgee

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read your article. Perfect for me, thank you. Have just purchased Dr Fung's book (via Kindle) 'The Diabetes Code - Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally'. He's quite active on YouTube if any one is interested.

Can also endorse your suggestion of the The Diet Doctor, I'd completely forgotten about this site. Didn't this doctor cause a butter 'crisis' in his home country several years ago, raising butter prices 3x times?

When I first did keto; it was viewed as a bit of cranky diet..... it's brilliant to see how it's now flourishing.

Feel as if I've been asleep! But I'm waking up now :)
Fung's brilliant, and the book is a lifesaver. As for Diet Doctor, I think you mean the Swedish Andreas Eenfeldt; I didn't know about the butter crisis thing until I googled it just now. That's hilarious! But yeah, invaluable resource too. :)

Keto's still a weird, extreme, freaky, weirdo diet. My whole family thinks I'm nuts, and a friend recently expressed concern about suspected anorexia. Nope. Just keto, when he enquired. Just wait till they all find out I've finally gone pretty much Carnivore. (!)

;)

All in all, you're going to be just fine, as you already have a pretty good grasp of the whole diet thing. You'll have this licked in no time at all.
Jo

Reactions: Debmcgee