Sugars rising in evening

briony1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone! So my sugars have been rising for seemingly no reason late afternoon and in the evening? They’ll go up before dinner and then again before bed? Can’t work out the reason why, doesn’t seem to correlate with meal/food types etc. Can anybody suggest the reason this might be happening or something to try? I have been more stressed and anxious recently but would that make a difference to my sugars in just the evening? I currently take 12 units Lantus AM and 12 before bed then apidra with meals 1:10g ratio! My current hba1c as of yesterday is 46

Thanks guys!!

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... Can anybody suggest the reason this might be happening or something to try? ...
Sounds like you are running out of basal action in the afternoon. I would first test basal to confirm this, by skipping lunch and then supper on different days. If blood glucose continues to rise after these skipped meals, increasing the morning Lantus dose should help. If it causes lows in the early morning, switching to Levemir may help. It has a bigger peak and shorter action period.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, to echo the post above, maybe talk to your diabetes team about trying to shift some of the lantus you inject in the eve to the morning. You might simply need 13 units in the morning and 11 at night for example - though obviously discuss this with your team! I use levemir and only need 3 units in the evening then 9 in the morning at the moment. My liver seems to like releasing lots of glucose during the day but not so much at night!

It might also be a change in daily routine with lockdown means your meal ratios are different for different meals. Perhaps you need a 1:8 ratio for lunch but 1:10 is fine otherwise for example. Is there any correlation to activity level? Is it the time when you're sitting watching something or readding in the eve when they're rising?

Well done on your HbA1c :)