Diabetes and contraception

Bails112

Hi all,
I am a 19 yr old female and type 1 diabetic, lately I have been getting painful periods which cause me really bad pain and nausea, I spoke to a doctor about going on the combined pill but he said the pill can cause blood clots and he doesn’t want to risk that seeing as I am diabetic. But when I was 16 I was on this pill and been on quite a few but haven’t found the right one for me, he also said I should try the coil but I really don’t want this, are their any other contraception what I could try whats safe for diabetics too? Or any recommendations what anyone is on? Thank you :) x

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, bit of a difficult one as everyone is different, esp family history.
I've personally not found any change to my glucose values when I was on the pill but I'm aware there are also family history/ genetic reasons why doctors might also prefer to avoid certain types of pill, or avoid taking the pill for too many years. Is there a sexual health clinic you can request an initial phone consultation with? They might be able to offer more advice on your options.

Here are some of the contraceptives on offer in the UK: https://www.sexwise.fpa.org.uk/contraception/which-method-contraception-right-me

Personally, although my control is 'good', I didn't want to risk increased chance of infection with higher glucose values and the coil. It is also something to be careful with if you use a menstrual cup. You can still use a cup if you have one but just have to be careful https://www.devonsexualhealth.nhs.uk/using-a-moon-cup-read-this-if-you-also-have-a-coil-in-place/

I had a consultation and did some research and chose the implant after a few different types pills, all of which I've not had issues with :) I appreciate the implant for not having another thing to remember on top of my insulin injections!

There are lots of options to suit different people so do read around and maybe see if there is a local sexual health clinic who can do advice over the phone to help you decide.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I spoke to a doctor about going on the combined pill but he said the pill can cause blood clots and he doesn’t want to risk that seeing as I am diabetic.
Hi @Bails112 , This doctor you spoke to, was this your GP or the one you see for your diabetes? If it was your GP, I'd take it up with your diabetes nurse or endocrinologist. Endocrinology is all about hormones so your endo not only knows more about diabetes than a GP but also about other hormones.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Bails112

Hi @Bails112 , This doctor you spoke to, was this your GP or the one you see for your diabetes? If it was your GP, I'd take it up with your diabetes nurse or endocrinologist. Endocrinology is all about hormones so your endo not only knows more about diabetes than a GP but also about other hormones.
Good luck!

Sorry I have only just need this, and I spoke to my normal GP, Every time I have spoken to my diabetes nurse about it she just tells me to go on the pill but the pill has caused so many problems for me

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I have only just need this, and I spoke to my normal GP, Every time I have spoken to my diabetes nurse about it she just tells me to go on the pill but the pill has caused so many problems for me
Can you ask your endo? If your GP says no to the pill and your diabetes nurse says take the pill, I think it's time to look for answers higher up.
Good luck!

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Bails112 hi there :)

I'm 21 and have been T1 since I was 7 years old.

I'm a bit late to this thread now but why are you reluctant to get the coil fitted?