Does an increase in muscle mass mean a higher demand for insulin?

Oxyinnes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys,

Another question that I've been meaning to ask.

Does anyone know if increasing your muscle mass- therefore a quicker metabolic rate requires more insulin?

Oxyinnes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know but ...
I have gained muscle mass through exercise and my insulin requirements have lowered.
This may be due to the extra exercise and I am only a sample of one so may be insignificant,

I've gained quite a bit of muscle because I do a lot of HIIT workouts- and seems it might of impacted on my requirements.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys,

Another question that I've been meaning to ask.

Does anyone know if increasing your muscle mass- therefore a quicker metabolic rate requires more insulin?
Hypothetically no since bigger muscle mass means you are more insulin sensitive. Your bigger muscles can store more glucose and therefore there is less in the blood stream to be managed with insulin.
Doing high energy demand stuff like HiiT or heavy lifting or sprinting may produce a surge of that glucose so it appears you need more insulin but usually blood sugars go down again after exertion.

Reactions: LaoDan and Oxyinnes

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find the Diabetes Strong site inspiring. Christel who runs it is a T1 who trains with weights and looks fabulous. Lots of articles about every aspect of living with T1 as an active person: https://diabetesstrong.com/category/excercise/
I'm sure you can find answers to your questions there.

Oxyinnes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find the Diabetes Strong site inspiring. Christel who runs it is a T1 who trains with weights and looks fabulous. Lots of articles about every aspect of living with T1 as an active person: https://diabetesstrong.com/category/excercise/
I'm sure you can find answers to your questions there.
This is great thank you! I've had a look and there's lots of T1 diet plans too which is awesome! Christel is great :)
Hypothetically no since bigger muscle mass means you are more insulin sensitive. Your bigger muscles can store more glucose and therefore there is less in the blood stream to be managed with insulin.
Doing high energy demand stuff like HiiT or heavy lifting or sprinting may produce a surge of that glucose so it appears you need more insulin but usually blood sugars go down again after exertion.
Hey! Thank you for your response :)

It's tricky! Body pump (so weight training) spikes my levels, whereas HIIT cycling (such as spinning) sends me low!