Libre and Miao Miao

angie92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m getting the libre next month and just wondering what are people view on the Miao Miao, I’ve just ordered Apple Watch ready. I’ve heard there is 2 and wondering what are the difference between them both as I’m unsure.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m getting the libre next month and just wondering what are people view on the Miao Miao, I’ve just ordered Apple Watch ready. I’ve heard there is 2 and wondering what are the difference between them both as I’m unsure.

Hi,

I'm a Miaomiao2 user. Did you mean the MM2? from my understanding. The mk2 is teady for when the Libre 2 is available.? The Libre 2 on anouncment is supposed to be Bluetooth but not compatable with some of the more versatile 3rd party apps that can be used with MM. Or Dexcom? (Hopefully, someone will put me straight if I'm wrong..)

I use Android but I do know @Brunneria uses the Miaomiao set up with an Apple Watch.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi :)

I use a Libre/iPhone/Apple Watch/tomato combo.

honestly, I don’t think Tomato is that great, and if I were a T1 and using the Libre every 2 weeks, I would be using another app.

the Tomato screen Colours are irritatingly wishywashy and difficult to see, with absurdly pale small font - that is my biggest gripe.

the website setup instructions lack clarity

the Facebook support page was useless when I tried asking for help

Of course, there are good things too - but I think all the apps have alarms, calibration, etc.
And the joy of seeing my bg on my wrist never gets old.

if I was setting up a new Miaomiao Tomato would not be my choice, but since I self fund my Libres and only use one every couple of months, I haven’t bothered to switch.

angie92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I'm a Miaomiao2 user. Did you mean the MM2? from my understanding. The mk2 is teady for when the Libre 2 is available.? The Libre 2 on anouncment is supposed to be Bluetooth but not compatable with some of the more versatile 3rd party apps that can be used with MM. Or Dexcom? (Hopefully, someone will put me straight if I'm wrong..)

I use Android but I do know @Brunneria uses the Miaomiao set up with an Apple Watch.

I’m seen online that there is Miaomioao 1 and two and just wondering what the different is and which one will be better with my Apple Watch

angie92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi :)

I use a Libre/iPhone/Apple Watch/tomato combo.

honestly, I don’t think Tomato is that great, and if I were a T1 and using the Libre every 2 weeks, I would be using another app.

the Tomato screen Colours are irritatingly wishywashy and difficult to see, with absurdly pale small font - that is my biggest gripe.

the website setup instructions lack clarity

the Facebook support page was useless when I tried asking for help

Of course, there are good things too - but I think all the apps have alarms, calibration, etc.
And the joy of seeing my bg on my wrist never gets old.

if I was setting up a new Miaomiao Tomato would not be my choice, but since I self fund my Libres and only use one every couple of months, I haven’t bothered to switch.

I’m going stood thick but what is the tomato??im type 1 and I just wanna get more control out of my blood levels.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m going stood thick but what is the tomato??im type 1 and I just wanna get more control out of my blood levels.
Tomato is the name of the app I use to send my bg readings from the Miao Miao to my phone and then my Apple Watch.

Don’t worry about needing to ask questions. It is very frustrating when ppl talk jargon and every word needs to be translated. :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m seen online that there is Miaomioao 1 and two and just wondering what the different is and which one will be better with my Apple Watch

The mk2 version is a little slimmer I have nothing to compare it to on that front.
It also meant to be more stable with connection? I've certainly left my phone in the other room & its reconnected when reunited after a couple of hours, back tracing the missing data..? (Pending on how long it been out of contact it may take a couple of seconds to back pedal.?)
I wear mine inside the arm to avoid knocks & sleeping on it, which may cause the mythical "pressure lows?"

I certainly feel more engaged with my BGs & general T1 management.. Lol, up until resently, I had a realy intense boss? (Bustling busy target driven environment.) My colleagues used to marvel at how calmly I handled the guy. I noticed correlations of BG spikes during our discussions..

I have to admit, my thought process was a little like yours "what's the difference other than the shape & price?"

Take your time with a choice & budget that suits you. Keep asking, by all means..

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

An Apple watch will require an Apple phone and the available software options are limited, off the top of my head I can think of 3 'Apps', tomato (as mentioned and I didn't think much about it other than the ease of setup, a shame tomato updates the Miaomiao firmware but it's possible to undo it) xDrip for the iOS (NOT xDrip+ which is an Android app) and Spike which I know nothing about other than it's said to be the best one (but...)

xDrip can use the phones calendar to send readings to your watch but is limited in what it shows (this is how far I've got having had an Apple watch 3 for 2 weeks), Sugarmate (another app) can create an Apple watch face but you'd need to create a Nightscout** account and again there are some 'watch faces' to use if you can set nightscout up.

**Nightscout, can be a little complicated to set up but a decent free web based tool if you can.

Edit, I actually plan to sell my apple watch and buy a Garmin one as for me there's far too much going on on a wrist watch with the iWatch for my liking :p