Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, took my first trip to the Post Office and our local greengrocer today. Went early, nice & quiet, going to the greengrocer in person was a mistake. He's brilliant and the display was just too tempting, so I came home with some fat black cherries (I just can't resist), a beautiful bulb of fennel, and strawberries, all unplanned, along with all the things I actually went for.

@kev-w yep, it just gets more confusing. And I have to keep listening carefully to see if we're talking about England, Wales, Scotland or NI.

In terms of judging risk, I've just been reading an article about how PHE counts Covid 19 deaths which kind of puts a new slant on things for me. For 'out of hospital deaths' apparently anyone who's ever tested positive is subsequently counted as a Covid 19 death, even if they've recovered and die from something else. The article says that if PHE continue to do a search on everyone who dies to see if they've ever tested positive, we could still be counting anyone who ever tested positive as dying from it however far in the future they die. Matt Hancock's ordered an urgent review.....and I wish someone had shouted the fact that in the entire south-west the number of cases in the past week was in single figures.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Yes I saw the revision of deaths was underway too @hh1, but I think that a proper analysis would need to include the long term effects of COVID that may have contributed.
I find statistics and numbers impossible to see as anything significant without information about the criteria behind the gathering and recording of them.
I also find myself taking all statements with a big dollop of salt when they’re made in the face of mounting criticism.
It’ll be a historian’s delight to try to analyse.
That aside, it’s heartbreaking that so many have died.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning! I'm utterly confused by the world out there and have retreated back home.

So, I'm not allowed to sing in church for the foreseeable future, (and this caused a lot of angst last Sunday amongst those who assumed it would be business as usual, despite all the warnings it wouldn't be) but the staff in the supermarket can sing along to the music whilst they are ignoring any kind of distancing whilst shelf stacking.

It's possibly just as well I was masked up, ready for when it's mandatory, as I have one of those faces which gives my thoughts away clearly in such circumstances. It's also just as well I'd really only gone in for a few items to celebrate the official end of the academic year!

I'd already had a brief conversation with one of my church's irregular regulars about how weird it was he'd allowed back in the pub before we were allowed back in church!

Still, I had a great early morning 5 miles walk before going into the supermarket, I've re-jigged my sitting room furniture so it's feeling more holiday mode-ish (I'd created a "video call" very neutral corner. and I've reclaimed it back now.), and I'm now going to have lunch and enjoy the new DVD (Little Women) I decided I needed to recover from the singing in the supermarket moment!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Singing’s a prime projector of droplets! Maybe a letter to the supermarket manager?
I do feel sorry for everyone who’s been working to feed us all, and sympathise with the need for a joyful singalong.

Reactions: kev-w and Marie 2

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Singing’s a prime projector of droplets! Maybe a letter to the supermarket manager?
I do feel sorry for everyone who’s been working to feed us all, and sympathise with the need for a joyful singalong.

Oh, I had a quick word with Customer Services before I left as the best person was on duty and as soon as I said what the problem was, she sighed, said they'd been having trouble with several staff members about this and she was seriously considering asking for the music to be turned off.

I feel utterly justified in my decision not to play any hymn tunes whilst providing background music in church, as the temptation to sing is too strong for many people.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I saw the revision of deaths was underway too @hh1, but I think that a proper analysis would need to include the long term effects of COVID that may have contributed.
I find statistics and numbers impossible to see as anything significant without information about the criteria behind the gathering and recording of them.
I also find myself taking all statements with a big dollop of salt when they’re made in the face of mounting criticism.
It’ll be a historian’s delight to try to analyse.
That aside, it’s heartbreaking that so many have died.
I agree @Fairygodmother that deaths arising from non-treatment of other conditions due to Covid is something to be considered; it doesn't take away from the fact that deaths may be currently attributed directly to Covid when they're plainly not. Frankly the whole situation seems to stagger from one 'issue' to another, and as I've said before I'll continue to abide by whatever the rules are (as long as I can keep up with the changes!) and within that I'll decide how how much risk, as I perceive it, I want to expose myself to. My big concern about these stats is that their unreliability, along with other questionable information, means it's not easy to make a sensible assessment of risk. As a result of that, I'm spending the rest of the day in the garden :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, I had a quick word with Customer Services before I left as the best person was on duty and as soon as I said what the problem was, she sighed, said they'd been having trouble with several staff members about this and she was seriously considering asking for the music to be turned off.

I feel utterly justified in my decision not to play any hymn tunes whilst providing background music in church, as the temptation to sing is too strong for many people.

Now oddly, My sister teaches "The arts" to kids? (We were having a discussion the other day regarding this..)
They're not allowed sing, however they can puff like dray horses in a dance class..

I feel you will always get a few "Kevin Bacons.."

I restrict my activities these days to home studio & recently discovered the joy of a disused somerset cow farm. :)
...I'll probably get Anthrax! :nailbiting:

Reactions: Japes

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, no joined up writing on this at all @Jaylee. Wear your mask, not for COVID but for asbestos, anthrax, cowpox, foot and mouth, and your wellies for old manure. Just can’t be too careful on those old farms ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, no joined up writing on this at all @Jaylee. Wear your mask, not for COVID but for asbestos, anthrax, cowpox, foot and mouth, and your wellies for old manure. Just can’t be too careful on those old farms ;)

Yep, I'll add that to the list of nasty things that can happen in a 1970s public information film when kids play on a farm..
I was going to post an example up. But it looked like schlock horror extracts from the "Omen?" :banghead::D

Reactions: porl69

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning Karen, mornin’ all. It’s Sunday lie in time, a good hangover from working life.
4.3 on waking, another cause for a slower start to the day, but not low enough to make it a bad beginning, just a relaxed one, so I’ll take that.
Younger daughter sent a breakfast pic from their Norfolk escape-break; grandsons in hot tub (no food) daughter’s croissants and dog, out of shot, watching cows. Luckily dog can’t get to cows, just watch them. After all the juggling of work and boys learning at home, which led to some weird science experiments as well as the more traditional stuff, they need this break. The best boys-involved science and engineering style bits always seemed to involve big constructions and potential for lots of drama: a volcano in a bottle, cardboard geometric shapes you could get into and roll, or stagger round the garden in while your brother chased you. Goodness knows what Ofsted would have made of it all.

Reactions: hh1 and karen8967

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Apparently my liver has really decided it wants to help me nowadays. Besides DP at either 3 in the morning or 5 in the morning, when I went snorkeling today after about an hour I swam far enough in to get a reading and I was at 8.3 so I went back out for another hour. I should have known something was up as I went in at a nice 7. When I finally got out I was a 7.5 and within 20 minutes I climbed to an eleven. It was more work today and longer than I usually stay out, which I guess triggered the liver deciding I needed help. And of course extra insulin to get myself in a normal range about 2 hours later. A nice lunch/dinner of vegan pasta primavera and a large green salad topped off with a half of a chocolate taro donut. Yum.................All dosing went to plan, but I am wondering what my liver will throw at me tonight! I can't see it behaving nicely. But watch me drop all night because of the extra swimming.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Goid morning everyone
FB_IMG_1594467240067.jpg

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, 4.6 waking and 3 walls to grout, I had a sleep in this morning as I was tired at 7 but the smell of porridge woke me at 9 :p

I've had a month off from all exercise and I guess I better start looking at getting back on with that, my gym will be reopening soon so I better get a plan on board with my moves for safe gym usage.

Do we think underwater swimming will be safer than swimming breaststroke or will Boris be offering tips? :p

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Morning all....woke to a 6.2, pretty happy, had breakfast and now sitting on a 12.8. :banghead::banghead:.

Reactions: kev-w

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

Haircut achieved. But, as I have informed friends who want evidence, I'm more than capable of going 4 months without a haircut in more usual times, so today was nothing unusual in Japes' world. However, it was a different experience. I was not that comfortable with the very public Track and Trace "sign-in" sheet and my phone number then being on display. If I'd thought fast enough, I'd've put my music work mobile number on there, as that is public information. I did make sure I was sanitised before I signed it. However, I was the last on the sheet, so hopefully, it will be filed for the requisite 21 days then destroyed....

My first since lockdown started events theme of the day is about to continue with a long walk, taking my lunch with me, and staying out for longer than a couple of hours!! I've got the long days walking backpack out and set up, for the first time since about early March and am good to go. It's slightly larger than my working days backpacks, and I can put the crossbody bag known to students as the "Japes Meds Bag" into it, just keeping glucose tablets, snacks and blood meter in a side pocket.

I'll report back later....

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, very busy couple of days, virtual meetings and stuff - why is there always so much 'stuff' to do? My time seems to evaporate at the moment. Grocery shopping this morning after dog walking, just written a report and replied to some emails and at last I might get in the garden.

Puppy classes restart tonight and I'm taking my now 13 month old monster. It will be good for her to get used, again, to going in the car regularly and mixing with dogs and people in a controlled way rather than the haphazard meetings that happen when we're walking. Class is I think only 6 and it's outdoors, 8-9 pm so I hope the weather's kind.

Have a good day all, good walking @Japes, and hope the grouting went well @kev-w. Will you have finished all your decorating soon?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good afternoon :) @hh1 :p no, when the bathroom's done it's back to the living room/back room which is 'on hold', the bathroom refurb jumped up the job list as the shower packed up, it was supposed to be a temporary fix up that when I saw the issues became more involved :banghead: so I thought I'd make a job of it, and there's the hallway and a new bedroom for the youngest child before venturing back out into the real world job hunting :)

It's all go :p the grouting's done and I'm starting the flooring with the silicone caulking yet to do...

Reactions: karen8967

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had grandson back for the day today. It was absolutely wonderful. He has moved on in the last 4 months big time, but he came into the house and just picked up where he’d left off. One thing hasn’t changed-we are pooped!

Reactions: karen8967 and kev-w