Feeling overwhelmed

Elizabeth__m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2, high BP, and IBS. I have calcification in my hip joints due to my diabetes and am in constant pain. I lecture in a university, and am currently trying to organise my course for the new semester-online/offline delivery, live lectures and recorded ones with captions. I am on a temporary contract and feel pressure to deliver face to face teaching, even though I am worried about that. I just feel as if I am drowning and don't have the energy or ability to do anything at all...

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
We are living through a difficult time, everything uncertain, old habits and assumptions being broken, but you are clearly an intelligent and capable woman so will understand that last year's expectations cannot apply to this year. Recorded lectures may not have quite the buzz of the live version, you will not be able to spend lots of time talking things through with individual students. It will, simply, not be the same. Everyone is in the same boat and most are worried about some aspect of it all (not necessarily the disease itself).
I do wonder if you have ever looked at / considered / tried a low carb diet? I certainly found that it helped make me a happier person, it also has a reputation for lowering blood pressure, giving people more energy and sorting out gastric issues. Perhaps you are feeling that you have lost control in your life, diet is something you can control and, I know from personal experience, one where you can and do see results. Lots of information on this site and elsewhere.
I hope you can sort yourself out, I expect you are a valued member of your university community, don't let yourself "drown".
Sally

Reactions: JRT

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

We live in strange and scary times so it is not surprising that you are feeling overwhelmed.

How do you manage your diabetes? It is pretty firmly established that stress impacts our blood sugar levels so in my view it is even more important to manage your levels when you are stressed.

My son is a teacher and also has autism - I think he found the remote teaching very difficult- luckily he is now back in the class room. He is also on a contract so I understand how much harder that is.

Don't be too tough on yourself- I think that there are many people who are struggling and I think it is easy to expect too much of others as well as ourselves.

Come here and vent if that helps.

Good luck.