Covid Question

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope I’m in the right place to ask, and that I’m never in the position to find out...
If you are T2 but get things under control and maintain a healthy weight does that reduce your level of risk re Covid complications?
I’m still early days (for the 2nd time) and in consultation with my GP have stopped Metformin as it was making me feel so rotten, so for now it’s me and my monitor.
The whole Covid situation is an added worry.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are T2 but get things under control and maintain a healthy weight does that reduce your level of risk re Covid complications?
As there has been no double blinded, random control trial on this, nobody can give a fully informed answer. However, if you ensure that you are in the best possible health, without too much extra weight, you are starting from a good position. It's never a bad time to sort out your blood sugars.
Sally

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that there is no definitive answer. The best we can all do is to try to keep our blood sugar levels in the normal range and to keep as healthy as we can be. The only thing else I feel we can do is to take precautions about where we go and what we do- keep social distancing self isolate if necessary etc.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In several of the other long running covid threads there have been links to studies in China, I think the U.K. and somewhere else?? that do support having good glycemic control (defined from memory at below 58mmol hb1ac) is associated with better outcomes in hospitalised patients. Similarly for being of normal weight v obese. Perhaps do some searching on here and you’ll find the links.