Diet only
Latest HBA1c results 35

LC-HF + IF (intermittent fasting) for 2 years, weight 67 Kg BMI 24.2

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had result of A1c done the other day it is just slightly up at 44 mmol/mol so happy with that.

The only thing is potassium level is a little high at 5.7 and eGFR has dropped further now 44.

Also Serum creatinine level 139 umol/L which is on the high side.

Was surprised to read the other day that low potassium can affect insulin produced by the pancreas people with lower levels of potassium tend to produce lower levels of insulin.

Congrats, @JohnEGreen. Really, really good results given the challenges of having to stay at home due to COVID-19 and being on steroids.

Also interesting fact linking low potassium to lower levels of insulin.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done @JohnEGreen! I'm always far more impressed with reasonable results from forum members having to struggle with other issues, than those who appear to be able to reach much lower levels with apparent ease.

And like @ziggy_w I was intrigued by your potassium comment, as I've scoffed potassium rich foods for years - ny motto in pre diabetic days being "A banana a day keeps my leg cramps at bay"...

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Very well done @JohnEGreen! I'm always far more impressed with reasonable results from forum members having to struggle with other issues, than those who appear to be able to reach much lower levels with apparent ease.

And like @ziggy_w I was intrigued by your potassium comment, as I've scoffed potassium rich foods for years - ny motto in pre diabetic days being "A banana a day keeps my leg cramps at bay"...
As long as you don't overdo it high levels of potassium can have some pretty serious health risks too. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As long as you don't overdo it high levels of potassium can have some pretty serious health risks too. :)

Agreed, but isn't it the ratio between potassium and sodium that matters most? Please don't ask me what the ratio is supposed to be!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @Robbity,

Sorry, I had no idea about this myself. I was just responding to a comment by @JohnEGreen made in his original post. It definitely was all news to me.

I agree with you though, making sure to get enough potassium is important. About a year ago, I had problems with my legs, (actually went through a couple of sheets, guess they call it restless leg syndrome). Since I started supplementing potassium, this issue has fortunately been resolved.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Bluetit1802 I almost certainly know less than your self about this I was just trying to find out about how my pottasium levels would effect my diabetes.

I just found this on my travels not much detail.

"If your potassium levels are too low, your body may make less insulin. That could lead to high blood sugar. Studies show that people with low potassium levels release less insulin, have higher blood sugar levels, and are more likely to get type 2 diabetes than those with normal potassium levels.
There isn't enough evidence to prove that low potassium directly causes diabetes. Still, it might be a good idea to have your doctor check your potassium level if you're already at risk for diabetes."

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/pota...levels are,those with normal potassium levels.

And then this.

"All cells in the body maintain an uneven distribution of electric charges—mostly carried by ions such as potassium, sodium, and chloride—across their outer membranes, which are therefore polarized. Changes in membrane polarization act as signals for various cell functions. In β-cells, a reduction of the transmembrane charge difference, called depolarization, triggers insulin release. The molecule that links membrane polarization to insulin release is the ATP-dependent potassium channel. The channel sits at the β-cell's outer membrane and keeps the membrane polarized by maintaining a sharp gradient of potassium distribution across the membrane. As long as the membrane is polarized, β-cells keep insulin trapped inside secretory vesicles. But as β-cells take up glucose, they transform the sugar into ATP, a small energy-carrying molecule that closes the potassium channel. The resulting membrane depolarization causes a massive influx of calcium inside the cells, which in turn allows the vesicles to release insulin to the outside."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1334240/

lindisfel

Expert
Agreed, but isn't it the ratio between potassium and sodium that matters most? Please don't ask me what the ratio is supposed to be!

Hi bluetit,
Its a seesaw affect controlled by the aldosterone/renin ratio.
Aldosterone receptors are in most organ systems. When sodium goes into tissue as controlled by aldosterone, potassium is lost and peed out.
Normally the human body balances the two by homeostasis.
If you have too much of anything it gets outside the limits of control and does damage.
Most medics believes the diet is too high in sodium, hence all the high bp.
The pancreas cannot produce insulin if potassium is low and taking extra sodium will make the situation worse.
Taking both sodium and potassium to my mind is like driving blind with ones feet both on the accelarator and brake.

I personally cannot very easily stop sodium damaging my tissue because I have an aldosterone producing tumour in my right adrenal, producing 20x the normal amount of aldosterone so my feedback system doesnt work.
We also have the R.A.A.S : the renin, aldosterone, angiotensin, system. This is designed to elevate aldosterone if sodium is scarce in famine, so more sodium is retained. It keeps bp up and retains sodium and one stops peeing it out. Aldosterone causes artery restriction which is not good but retains bp in healthy. Hence the use of ace inhibitors and ace2 receptor blockers in those with essential hypertension.
regards
D.
Re: Conn's syndrome.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had result of A1c done the other day it is just slightly up at 44 mmol/mol so happy with that.

The only thing is potassium level is a little high at 5.7 and eGFR has dropped further now 44.

Was surprised to read the other day that low potassium can affect insulin produced by the pancreas people with lower levels of potassium tend to produce lower levels of insulin.
That's awesome, well done!
Also didn't know that low potassium levels can effect insulin levels, interesting!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have looked back at all the previous tests I have had over the last year or so and the potassium levels on every one was the same 5.7 this is the first time it has been queried.

Today I had another phone call telling me they are concerned about my eGFR and requesting I have another blood test done in four weeks.

Judith related to me a post on line by a GP saying he and many of his colleagues have been sat around twiddling their thumbs because no one is coming to their surgeries we came to the conclusion that they now have time to actually read their patients notes and are coming up with things that have thus far gone un-noticed.

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats fantastic!

Mine are down from 58 to 51, which isnt bad. Could be stress, its all very tedious.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@bkr 58 to 51 is good so congratulations, I know it can be tedious but keep going it will be worth it in the end and it's such a good feeling if and when eventually you see those normal levels and there is every good reason if you keep your carbs down that you will soon get to see them,:)

Best of luck John.

Reactions: ziggy_w

LindiePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Well done on the HBA1C result . My eGFR dropped to 39 recently. It's not the first time it's been on the low side but apart from when I had DKA, it's the lowest it's ever been. I was told to get retested a week later and to make sure I drank plenty of fluids beforehand. So I stopped taking my diuretic for a couple of days and drank so much water I felt like my back teeth were floating! When retested it showed my eGFR had risen to 50. So the secret is, drink plenty of water

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@LindiePops I am glad that your eGFR has risen back up to 50 from what I assume was a pretty scary 39 I have now had several tests over the last 2 or 3 years and the eGFR has steadily dropped from the first one I knew of of 60 to now 44 and shows no sign of going back up no matter what I have tried regarding hydration though I am hoping for better result on the retest in a few weeks it is not often that dropping levels recover but as in your case it does happen one thing I am going to do though even before the retest and consulting with my doctor as we were both a bit wary of continuing it last we talked of it is cut out the Metformin as it does not help with CKD.

Reactions: LindiePops

LindiePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't know if you are on high blood pressure meds too @JohnEGreen as some of these can affect your kidney function. I've sat around the 42-44 mark for my eGFR for years, hence my shock at it rising to 60 last year. However, it was more shocking when it nosedived to 39 to this month. Just goes to show how it can fluctuate. Hope yours improves soon :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes I do take Losartan as well I know it can have an effect also, I am having the repeat blood test next week so will see how things go after that, so far my eGFR has only gone in the one direction I would be very happy if it recovers somewhat but am not counting on it.

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Home made Keto yeast bread, 2 grams of carb per slice.

Here is the recipe:

zwY68gRUaX1NLS6PA

Attachments

• bread.jpg
    bread.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 237

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well had the retest this morning and for the first time my eGFR has actually gome back up from 44 to 51 so a bit of improvement for once happy about that.

eGFR using creatinine (CKD-EPI) per 1.73 square metres 51 mL/min

though Urea and Creatinine are a little raised so doc wants urine test done.

Serum urea level 8.2 mmol/L [2.5 - 7.8]
Above high reference limit
Serum creatinine level 122 umol/L [70.0 - 120.0]
Above high reference limit

Reactions: Tophat1900