fiasp tailing off quickly - switch to novorapid?

AlanaPerrin

Morning!
I was diagnosed last summer and spent a month or so on novorapid before switching to Fiasp as I was struggling with pre-bolusing long enough.
I’m now finding that for an hour and a half after eating certain meals my levels are fine, but then I shoot up.
I asked my diabetic nurse for advice and she said my ratio must be wrong, so I tried changing it last night by eating the same meal as lunchtime but giving slightly more insulin. I had a short hypo (didn’t treat us as I was expecting to shoot up again, which I did). Pic below showing lunch and teatime spikes - I gave a correction unit both times as I hate going high.
Both meals were two slices of bread, salad, cheese, hummus and a spoon of cous cous. I weighed, carb counted etc.
It seems for me Fiasp doesn’t last very long, and I’m having to inject twice for meals.
Has anyone else experienced this, or ended up switching to a different insulin?
Sorry for the long post!

upload_2020-7-19_8-19-37.jpeg

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you sure you have adequate basal cover? I would test basal between meals before changing anything. You test basal by skipping a meal and watching blood glucose until the next mealtime. If blood glucose goes up without eating, more basal insulin action is required.

Reactions: Struma

AlanaPerrin

Are you sure you have adequate basal cover? I would test basal between meals before changing anything. You test basal by skipping a meal and watching blood glucose until the next mealtime. If blood glucose goes up without eating, more basal insulin action is required.

Thank you - I increased my basal this morning (before posting) to see if that helps. I should have tested it first really!

Reactions: MarkMunday

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also be aware that, as T1 onset was recent, your injected insulin requirements may vary while you still make a fair amount of your own insulin.

AlanaPerrin

Also be aware that, as T1 onset was recent, your injected insulin requirements may vary while you still make a fair amount of your own insulin.

I think I’m still on a low dose, so I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me before now to try increasing my basal. Hopefully this will work ... otherwise it’s back to two injections for meals

Reactions: MarkMunday

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I would guess basal check I use fiasp and work well it starts working quicker but the life in the body is about the same

Bolus is only really intended to drop your levels for food it’s not intended to keep it there, that’s what basal is for

I guess if you had a slower acting insulin the error would be less obvious

I use tresiba and my basal is quite good so the length that fiasp works is fine

AlanaPerrin

Thank
I would guess basal check I use fiasp and work well it starts working quicker but the life in the body is about the same

Bolus is only really intended to drop your levels for food it’s not intended to keep it there, that’s what basal is for

I guess if you had a slower acting insulin the error would be less obvious

I use tresiba and my basal is quite good so the length that fiasp works is fine

Thank you. I think because I was very active at the time I was diagnosed (training for a half marathon), my basal was fine. Now that I’ve been working from home for four months with my children here, I haven’t been able to exercise as regularly so I guess it could have resulted in my basal needing to be adjusted until we’re back to some sort of normal!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Yes that would make a difference

I struggle Day to day a have a physical job so fine all day then struggle after work when I’m less active and at weekends

To the point I sometimes have to take more fiasp

Still I have a pump appointment next week

AlanaPerrin

Yes that would make a difference

I struggle Day to day a have a physical job so fine all day then struggle after work when I’m less active and at weekends

To the point I sometimes have to take more fiasp

Still I have a pump appointment next week

Oh good luck! I think a pump would really help. Some days I decrease my basal as I plan to go for a run, then life gets in the way and I don’t manage to go, or work is super busy and I don’t move from my desk all day. I’d love to be able to temporarily suspend basal etc to get around it.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@AlanaPerrin you are more than likely still in your honeymoon stage of your type 1 story and will be producing insulin randomly for a while. Honeymoon last for different amounts of times for different people. Also different foods will spread their carbs out over a longer time, usually fatty foods

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AlanaPerrin ,

I'm another advocate of basal testing first before finding out what's happening with the bolus.

Are you still taking Lantus on a split dosage? (A previous post of your's suggests you do?)

We are individual, my personal experience, with changing dosage for whatever reason (sick day, prospective heavy day or heat wave.) is it can take noticable effect on the consecutive day? & can get tricky with lows in the early hours or late afternoon. (But I do one shot at 10pm'ish.)

Be safe.

AlanaPerrin

Hi @AlanaPerrin ,

I'm another advocate of basal testing first before finding out what's happening with the bolus.

Are you still taking Lantus on a split dosage? (A previous post of your's suggests you do?)

We are individual, my personal experience, with changing dosage for whatever reason (sick day, prospective heavy day or heat wave.) is it can take noticable effect on the consecutive day? & can get tricky with lows in the early hours or late afternoon. (But I do one shot at 10pm'ish.)

Be safe.
Hi! Sorry I only just saw this. I am splitting my dose morning and night. I’ve increased it slightly this week, but also have been a lot more active and it’s made a huge difference to my levels. I think it might have been a month off from running that was the problem.

CE1965

I have been T1 for over 35 years now and I don’t have any issues with Fiasp, which I have used for the last few years. Yes it does work quick and tails off fast but this will give you your very saw tooth levels. The important thing here is the food that you are eating and it’s glycemic value. Some foods turn to sugar faster than others and this is where Fiasp works well. You may have to start double blousing when you eat foods that sugar more slowly. This is where a pump with a dual or delay bolus really works.

to me the biggest game changer in my life was the pump, and secondly a Dexcom G6.