Anyone any alternatives to Lemsip?

stephenT2

Hi,

I've just started my first cold of the season. On buying my usual tipple of Lemsip, I noticed one of the main ingredients was sucrose. On checking all the other similar types of medication, this seems to be a main ingredient in the lot.

Is there a sugar free alternative that works?

Stephen

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am new to this and have yet to have a diabetic cold however childrens meds are often sugar free and may be worth trying, or ask the chemist. I will be interested in the answers myself as generally I get a lot of colds! Will be first ion the queue for a flu jab this year.

Hope you feel better soon!

Louise

chocoholic

Hi Stephen,
Personally I can't stand Lemsip. I hate them as much as I hate Pot Noodles. Both seem like flavoured powdery chemicals, that taste disgusting.
Most of these sachet style things seem to be full of sugar in some form or another. I'd like to bet a glass of hot water with a slice of fresh lemon, probably works just as well.
Hubby is a big Lemsip fan but I tell him he's wasting his money. Actually I think my hubby is really the actor in the "man flu" film on You Tube. Any woman who wants a laugh....you have to take a peek at this on you tube. Brilliant!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Stephen. I think the cold would be better for you than the Lemsip to be honest!
A couple of aspirin and a large malt whisky, now that's the solution :wink:

Get well soon,

fergus

ChocFish

Lemsip capsules are sugar free, make your own lemon drink either with water or with tea, add sweetener, use a bit of Vicks vapo rub on your chest/throat (external of course), grab your teddybear, cover up with a snuggly soft blanket, a box of tissues and the remote control next to you and a bell so that you can summon your other half if you need a refill or your pillow has slipped, there there you will be better in no time? It works best on men, women are used to working their guts off till they fall over and even then they dont give up (ah ooops, I can see my PM box overflowing already, I darent go and look)

Please remember to be careful not to accidentally overdose on paracetamol (or any remedy), my best friend died 2 years ago, for a whole week she took Lemsip and as well as a painkiller containing paracetamol and died of liver failure. She didnt read labels and never realised that there is paracetamol also in the sachets.

All the best

Karen

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lemsip is very simply paracetamol dressed up in artificial finery.

The trick to buying over the counter stuff is to read the labels. Most places sell unbranded medicines at a fraction of the cost. The last 16 tabs of paracetamol I bought were about 30-40p.
Always look for the chemist/supermarkets own brands.

wiflib

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lemon tea, Aspirin and an anti histamine tablet are quite good for soothing cold symptoms

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
Many years ago I had a very bad cold and a now long dead colleague advised that I should buy a half bottle of rum and a pint of milk - inferring some kind of odd hot toddy. He then set out the methodology - pour the milk into a pan, place on the cooker and bring slowly to a rolling boil. Then pour the contents of the pan down the sink, drink the half bottle of rum, get into a warm bed and sweat it out.

Beats Lemsip, but not if you are driving.

chocoholic

Buachaille forgot to mention that even if the cold doesn't go, his remedy will lift your mood. You'll wake up with a Yo-ho-ho!!!!