Type 2 and statins

aard

So my Dr is constantly trying to push statins on me due combination of high bad cholestal/ high blood pressure and diabetes.

He ssts I have 20% chance of dying in 19 yrs although I like to point out I have 80% chance of not dying.

Everything I’ve read about statins makes me want to stay well clear of them and Tbh my h1bc of 48 and bp of 120/90 doesn't seem that high.

Not looking for advice on taking as I wont, but am curious about other peoples thoughts/experiences on taking statins due to diabetes/high blood pressure?

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Statins treat neither diabetes nor high blood pressure.. maybe time for a proper doctor yours sound well past the sell by date?

Reactions: RGJ1970 and HSSS

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If you are sick of having your Dr push them on you, then put your foot down and make it clear you will not take them. It's your decision, not your doctors. I also find that sometimes when you reject a doctors advice, they can resort to fear tactics to try and get their way. Good luck putting and end to the pushing.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So my Dr is constantly trying to push statins on me due combination of high blood pressure and diabetes.

He ssts I have 20% chance of dying in 19 yrs although I like to point out I have 80% chance of not dying.

Everything I’ve read about statins makes me want to stay well clear of them and Tbh my h1bc of 45 and bp of 120/90 doesn't seem that high.

Not looking for advice on taking as I wont, but am curious about other peoples thoughts/experiences on taking statins due to diabetes/high blood pressure?
Kind of nonsensical, as nothing you mention relates to statins (which is a cholesterol drug) in any way, shape or form. Blood pressure's pretty much fine, your HbA1c certainly isn't half-bad either, you're in the prediabetic range now. You are entitled to your "No, thanks".

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
What dosage of statin was being pushed. What is your lipid profile like. I've never heard of statins for hypertension before. Just curious. BP isn't high anyway. Diastolic is getting into the worry zone for some GPs but systolic is perfect. I admit that my GP is also very watchful of BP with his diabetic patients as well but mine is OK so no worries on that one. He did talk me into a statin after many months of vacillating and thoroughly explained his reasons. He's been a fantastic Dr for half my life and my dose is the lowest he could go at 2.5mg. I have zero side effects. With my fat heavy diet my cholesterol went from 6.5 to 3.9 but I'd have to go and look up the exact profile. I'm not unhappy with the decision.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your GP needs re-training or retiring. As others have said your BP is just fine and so is your diabetes, Statins are not a diabetes drug and should only be offered if your various LDL/HDL/Trig ratios are bad and then you should be started on a minimum dose to see how it goes.

Jaysull

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So my Dr is constantly trying to push statins on me due combination of high blood pressure and diabetes.

Everything I’ve read about statins makes me want to stay well clear of them and Tbh my h1bc of 45 and bp of 120/90 doesn't seem that high.

Statins have no impact on diabetes or BP, which in your case are both OK. Ask your Dr. about your cholesterol levels and if these are not in the normal category then you might well be advised to take statins, but of course it’s your choice. I’ve taken Atorvastatin for the last 20 years ( due to familial hypercholestereamia) and, having had my 73rd birthday a while ago, think it’s been a good bet!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Statins have no impact on diabetes or BP, which in your case are both OK. Ask your Dr. about your cholesterol levels and if these are not in the normal category then you might well be advised to take statins, but of course it’s your choice. I’ve taken Atorvastatin for the last 20 years ( due to familial hypercholestereamia) and, having had my 73rd birthday a while ago, think it’s been a good bet!
Unfortunately Statins do have an impact on diabetes albeit an adverse one. My hba1c increased from 48 to 54 after I started taking them - within 6 months of coming off them it had reduced to almost normal levels.

aard

oops my mistake I missed off the high cholestal, it was the combination of high choles plus high bp/diabetes for statin. Post corrected.

My trigs ard bad, as is my hdl/ldl ratio.

and the h1abc was wrong, what a doofus!

Last edited:

aard

Unfortunately Statins do have an impact on diabetes albeit an adverse one. My hba1c increased from 48 to 54 after I started taking them - within 6 months of coming off them it had reduced to almost normal levels.

This one of the reasons I worry about taking statins but my Doctor dismisses statins making blood sugars worse.

aard

Your GP needs re-training or retiring. As others have said your BP is just fine and so is your diabetes, Statins are not a diabetes drug and should only be offered if your various LDL/HDL/Trig ratios are bad and then you should be started on a minimum dose to see how it goes.

The 120/90 is only with drugs and exercise othewise its 130/100. It was a long night, hence the many mistakes in my post

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oops my mistake I missed off the high cholestal, it was the combination of high choles plus high bp/diabetes for statin. Post corrected.

My trigs ard bad, as is my hdl/ldl ratio.

and the h1abc was wrong, what a doofus!
what are your cholesterol figures please?

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
This was my experience too. I went from 36 to 41. I lowered my carb intake further and have settled to around an average of 38. I'm only on 2.5mg but the reduction in cholesterol levels in my case seems worthwhile. All a juggling act. I'd rather not take them but so far the benefits outweigh the downside.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
This one of the reasons I worry about taking statins but my Doctor dismisses statins making blood sugars worse.
They certainly increased mine but it is quite manageable with vigilance.

Last edited:

Dark Horse

This is the calculator used to estimate risk of coronary heart disease or stroke in people who have had neither:- https://qrisk.org/three/

It takes into account current blood pressure and whether someone is on treatment for high blood pressure. It also takes into account whether or not someone has diabetes, but not how well controlled that diabetes is.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
This is the calculator used to estimate risk of coronary heart disease or stroke in people who have had neither:- https://qrisk.org/three/

It takes into account current blood pressure and whether someone is on treatment for high blood pressure. It also takes into account whether or not someone has diabetes, but not how well controlled that diabetes is.
They don't take control into account. Apparently it makes little difference. Diabetics are prone to Atherogenic Dyslipidemia. I'll try and find the reference later when I get a spare nanosecond.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
The following paper discusses cardiovascular events and glycemic control in a bit more detail.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3480668/

Their findings were that tight control was fundamental to microvascular health. Unfortunately, macrovascular health wasn't significantly altered meaning that for diabetics good glycemic control alone is insufficient to lower the risk of cardiovascular events. There doesn't appear to be any rock solid reasons given but the statistics are compelling enough to say that diabetics have a higher risk even with good glycemic control.

Reactions: Dark Horse

Dark Horse

The following paper discusses cardiovascular events and glycemic control in a bit more detail.

Their findings were that tight control was fundamental to microvascular health. Unfortunately, macrovascular health wasn't significantly altered meaning that for diabetics good glycemic control alone is insufficient to lower the risk of cardiovascular events. There doesn't appear to be any rock solid reasons given but the statistics are compelling enough to say that diabetics have a higher risk even with good glycemic control.
Very interesting, thanks.

Not particularly related to that but also interesting is this discussion of risk prediction tools such as QRisk:- https://www.prescriber.co.uk/article/cardiovascular-risk-prediction-for-primary-prevention/

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

They don't say how glycemic control was achieved for the Type 2 diabetics.
What you say is only true if you make the assumption that good glycemic control can only be achieved by the medications used on the subjects of the studies. I would be extremely surprised if any of the studies included anybody with good control achieved either by surgery or by diet.

The paper isn't that new, so its probably safe to assume that good glycemic control means use of Insulin rather than SGLT2s.
Isn't hyperinsuinemia (as well as Hyperglycemia) known for damaging the endolthelium?
Hence Insulin users may well be at higher risk of cardiovascular events than non-users which may well cancel out the beneficial effect of good glycemic control.

Reactions: HSSS