Should I switch to an insulin pump?

I’ve been working with my diabetes nurse to bring my hbA1c down further and she often mentions switching to an insulin pump. My husband and I have been discussing having a child recently and I know that I have to bring my levels down further to reduce risks during pregnancy. My blood levels are not horrendous but they are not baby perfect either. My nurse tells me that having an insulin pump will help me manage my blood levels better but I don’t like the idea of something being attached to me, I worry that I’ll catch it. But at the same time I’m 28 and feel like time is running out, if any fellow diabetics are on an insulin pump, can you share your experiences with me? I need help making up my mind.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @BeckyBumbleBee I was a bit nervous when my nurse mentioned it to me, and had similar concerns, personally I didn't want to rely on a machine.. When I look back now 4-5 years ago I can't believe I didn't push for it sooner, it's completely changed my control and management, I can use smaller units of insulin to cover the 14g of carbs, rather than a round up to the nearest unit, hypos are less severe, I exercise alot more now and confidently, if I am going low I stick a temp basal on the pump, it's a game changer and more so as you would like to conceive, if I was you i'd be on the phone now, it sounds like you are in control of your management, using a pump will require input but you sound as though it would really work well for you, yes get on the phone, good luck and let us know how you get on ? x

Reactions: MS6502

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Forgot to mention, on MDI my HbA1c's were always around 65, using the pump got me down to around 54, then using a CGM system, the Dexcom G6, I am now around 45.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @BeckyBumbleBee I waited around 47 years to be put on a pump. I had the same reservations as @Juicyj such as trusting a machine to give me insulin and the how will I manage with something connected to me 24/7. I had got my A1C down to 65 and could not get it down any further while on MDI. Since pumping I have gotten a 42 and 45 BUT my DSN wanted me back upto 50, so my last A1C was smack on 50. I would be totally lost without it now and wish I had pushed for it a lot earlier. All I can say is "GO FOR IT"

Reactions: MS6502 and Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Completely agree with @In Response go for it but if you don’t like it then just hand it back, but give it a chance to adjust with your ratios before making that decision, takes a bit of time to get ratios sorted but once you get there then see ?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because it is more flexible and responsive to changing requirements, a pump should help during pregnancy. I would be inclined to get one now and review using it if/when it is not required anymore.

To me a big advantage of pumping was getting a better understanding insulin requirement/dosing dynamics. My situation has changed and, having gone back to MDI, I am enjoying being free of the pump.

Reactions: EllieM

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I switched to an insulin pump during my first pregnancy. It was a total game changer for me - I use very small doses, and I was really able to fine tune my basal requirements to smooth out the spikes. On Lantus I always seemed to be fighting against it.

I’ve now moved on to an Omnipod which is tubeless - check which pumps your area provides as it might be an option.

I’ve always been able to hide my pump pretty well using Hid-In bands. I’m also fairly slim (at least I was before the kids, they’ve fixed that!)

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum.

Like most others i was sceptical about having a pump after 35+ years of MDI. Even after the first few months I hated it because it was not giving me the results I wanted. My BG was all over the place at times and I wanted to hand it back.

However I kept faith, kept adjusting the dosage until I get it just about right. Dont get me wrong its not perfect but my overall BG has come down. I love the way you can make small adjustments if you can see yourself going high/low

Dont worry about being attached to it, you really do forget its there after a week or so

In my health board area, pumps are like gold dust and you need to show a real commitment to want to help control your diabetes. I would say if you get a chance of 1, go for it.Whats the worst that can happen, you dont like it give it back

Let us know how you get on

saders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve been working with my diabetes nurse to bring my hbA1c down further and she often mentions switching to an insulin pump. My husband and I have been discussing having a child recently and I know that I have to bring my levels down further to reduce risks during pregnancy. My blood levels are not horrendous but they are not baby perfect either. My nurse tells me that having an insulin pump will help me manage my blood levels better but I don’t like the idea of something being attached to me, I worry that I’ll catch it. But at the same time I’m 28 and feel like time is running out, if any fellow diabetics are on an insulin pump, can you share your experiences with me? I need help making up my mind.

Hi Becky, it sounds like we are in a similar boat! I am 27 in September, T1 Diabetic since I was 10 and had a pump fitted back in March in the hope that my bloods would be better pre-conception. My hba1c is 55mmol/7.5% which is still too high but much better than ever before. The pump isn't too much hassle. I still wear tight dresses if I want and show it off in my bikini on holiday I always see it as a little quirk of me and often a good talking point its helped my bloods to become much more level overall and we are well on our way to trying for a baby over the coming months. I'd love to talk more about the pump with you if you like? I've read a few books that I can recommend too

Reactions: 35yearsofType1

tigrib

I had the opportunity to test a pump. Instead of insulin it was filled with water, just to get the feeling what it was like being on a pump. I decided against it because I hated the tube. What really convinced me was a patch pump, which comes without a tube. I love it. It is so convenient and I don't feel embarressed to inject insulin in public any more because nobody notices it. You just press a button on your remote control and that's it. To me that's perfect.

35yearsofType1

Hi Becky,

I’ve had two brilliant planned pregnancies (diabetes control wise) and honestly could not have done that without a pump. Through pregnancy your insulin requirements change really quickly so it’s easy to tailor your insulin to specific time of the day. Good luck with getting pregnant - generally I have such a different life due to my pump honestly it was the best thing I’ve ever had to help with diabetes.

Like you I was bothered at first about it being visible and I found ways to hide it - so with a skirt or dress I hang it from my underwear (not my bra as that’s a faff to get to when you want to give insulin in public!) But now I sort of wear it with pride I don’t care if people see it - I absolutely love it it’s allowed me to love a more free life! Good luck and keep us posted xx