Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Max68

"Freelance courier" is likely to be an horrendous job. I gather, the amounts of drop-offs are huge, for very little money, using one's own vehicle, which will need business insurance and so on, so not a quick or necessarily cheap option.

Interestingly, we had a delivery a couple of weeks ago, brought by a young man. As he turned and left, I though,... "I know you", but couldn't quite work out where from.

When he delivered to us again (yes, we're like everyone else - have been buying online), I asked him where I recognised him from. It transpired, he used to live up the road, but had moved to a house better suited to their requirements a few years ago.

He told me he was doing deliveries to keep sane in lockdown, and on furlough (so he is one on furlough support, plus additional income). He reckoned the work is brutal (by comparison to his usual Programme Manager role), but they would use the money to do some home improvements when the dust settles and hopefully he is back in his old job.

I wish anyone doing that job the best of luck.

Delivery jobs can be savage depending on who you work for. In the past I worked for one of the supermarkets as a driver and it was ok to be honest although I had to quit after injuring myself at work, that was the main problem. Tried lifting a crate of, what I didn't know was milk, from a height I couldn't see, and ripped all the ligaments in my shoulder and elbow. Then I worked for an Electrical Company as a driver for two years and again it was fine bar the hanging around at the end of the day. Problem with both Covid wise is you tick off and load your own van which means you have to go indoors with others, if it is the same set up now of course. Companies may now have pickers, loaders and drivers rather than just drivers who do the picking!

However both had their own van and insurance and as DCUKMod says if you have to use your own car and insurance that's expense straight off although not sure if you get your petrol expenses back. You are then spending pretty much more than you make. I looked into working for one of the national carriers at one point and that was the case and it just wasn't worth it. With a bit of luck now home delivery is a real earner for companies "hopefully" they will stop cutting corners and purchase fleets of van's and cover insurances or they need to be regulated but wouldn't hold my breath.

RE post above talking about modes of travel to and from work that's what worries me about the school where I work. It's in the middle of nowhere so whilst staff can use their own cars to go in all students generally use taxis. It isn't going to be that taxi drivers only pick up and drop off so those kids are going to be sitting in an enclosed space where 20,30, 40 people a day may have sit so whilst they could be in a clean environment at home and at school the travel they sue is a possible mode of transmission.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I’ve been shielding after initially getting a NHS letter way back when followed by a letter fro government extending it. I tried to go back to work at end of June but was told I wasn’t expected until 3rd August. I am cautious about returning to my job as I have to get a bus as it’s too far to walk,there’s no parking facilities and I’m too old for a bike . I’ve not handled it well, my physical health is ok, I walk most days but mentally I’m struggling with the solitude. I try to do things to occupy my mind but sometimes I just drift and my mind wanders into seemingly darker places. Going back to work will be a blessing. Anybody else struggled like this ?

Reactions: JRT

JRT

Hi, I’ve been shielding after initially getting a NHS letter way back when followed by a letter fro government extending it. I tried to go back to work at end of June but was told I wasn’t expected until 3rd August. I am cautious about returning to my job as I have to get a bus as it’s too far to walk,there’s no parking facilities and I’m too old for a bike . I’ve not handled it well, my physical health is ok, I walk most days but mentally I’m struggling with the solitude. I try to do things to occupy my mind but sometimes I just drift and my mind wanders into seemingly darker places. Going back to work will be a blessing. Anybody else struggled like this ?
Hi Alan. Firstly I understand your concerns about public transport. The most useful piece of advice I received off my Union was about The Infection Control Fund. The government set this up so employers can fund taxis to work rather than use public transport. Any transport poses a risk other than your own car. I dont drive and would have to access two buses to work so a 7 minute taxi ride with windows open probably less risky .
No you are most certainly not on your own. From personal experience I dont know anyone regardless of age,health issues,financial situation whose mental health hasn't been affected in some way even if only briefly. I think its actually caused the Coronavirus rollercoaster where you can feel positive one day and lost and drifting the next. I've probably had 3 days when tearful and anxious and unable to focus on anything in particular. Everyone's circumstances are different. Share your concerns with your work place . The environment should be Covid Safe and they should work with you as someone who has been shielded on an individual risk assessment to further reduce your risk. To quote a popular saying Its okay not to be ok! There are lots of places that can provide support and reassurance including the Disbetes.Uk helpline.

Reactions: lucylocket61

kevsmith75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1. And I was on furlough from start of April to mid July. I did work in a hotel but with all the covid going on the hotel have made some redundant and I was one of them because I was only there 1 year. But luckily for me I got a job. Its a factory place on night's. So I have been there 4 weeks now and I like it. I wasn't getting any redundancy pay off with only being there 1 year so I needed a job asap. It's strange because I was putting my money coming in before my health. What other options did I have. I had to go back to work or i would be screwed. Mortgage and bill's still have to be paid.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am type 1. And I was on furlough from start of April to mid July. I did work in a hotel but with all the covid going on the hotel have made some redundant and I was one of them because I was only there 1 year. But luckily for me I got a job. Its a factory place on night's. So I have been there 4 weeks now and I like it. I wasn't getting any redundancy pay off with only being there 1 year so I needed a job asap. It's strange because I was putting my money coming in before my health. What other options did I have. I had to go back to work or i would be screwed. Mortgage and bill's still have to be paid.
Well done on getting a new job that you like. I would agree with you that you need to work but I think if you are washing hands and taking care of your blood sugars then why not go to work? Follow the guidance on what to do with symptoms. There is no such thing as a risk free work environment which I why I've gone back to work too! Irrational health anxiety does not pay the bills!

JRT

Glad you managed to get a new job when theres so much worry associated with those who are furloughed being made redundant. Good luck and hope goes well.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Optimistic and based on incomparable data. These are schools with just a few pupils maintaining distancing, particularly with the older children that are believed to be able to spread more efficiently than the younger ones.

In September there will be 30 teens in a small room sat cm’s apart and changing groups 5 times a day whilst being told they are not allowed to wear masks in the way the rest of us are being told to wear them when we can’t distance indoors. Somewhat different data set eh?

Reactions: Picci

StamfordMan

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Optimistic and based on incomparable data. These are schools with just a few pupils maintaining distancing, particularly with the older children that are believed to be able to spread more efficiently than the younger ones.

In September there will be 30 teens in a small room sat cm’s apart and changing groups 5 times a day whilst being told they are not allowed to wear masks in the way the rest of us are being told to wear them when we can’t distance indoors. Somewhat different data set eh?[/QUOTE]

But first, I want to share my disappointment regarding epidemiology with its models that have performed no better than astrology - Sanjeev Sabhlok

Based on the worst-case scenario generated by Neil Ferguson's terrible software, the government decided to do the sheep thing after all and follow the WHO's recommendation to destroy the economy and create vast damage to the mental health of millions of children. And there's no way to exit from the lockdown that will guarantee the safety of anyone. At best, the lockdown kicked the can down the road by delaying the inevitable.

Now we have the catch-22 situation where, having scared the bejeezus out of the British public, parents, unions and teachers are resisting all efforts on the part of the government to return to normality. So, if you want to guarantee the safety of your child, be very clear that you will have to keep them under house arrest and home school them until they are 18.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But first, I want to share my disappointment regarding epidemiology with its models that have performed no better than astrology - Sanjeev Sabhlok

Based on the worst-case scenario generated by Neil Ferguson's terrible software, the government decided to do the sheep thing after all and follow the WHO's recommendation to destroy the economy and create vast damage to the mental health of millions of children. And there's no way to exit from the lockdown that will guarantee the safety of anyone. At best, the lockdown kicked the can down the road by delaying the inevitable.

Now we have the catch-22 situation where, having scared the bejeezus out of the British public, parents, unions and teachers are resisting all efforts on the part of the government to return to normality. So, if you want to guarantee the safety of your child, be very clear that you will have to keep them under house arrest and home school them until they are 18.

I’m not looking for guarantees. Just equity in the protection being afforded to all. School pupils will have far less protection than the rest of society and forced to exposure of whatever risks there are by compulsion (criminal not to send children to school)

edited by moderator to sort out the quotes

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Picci and JRT

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
There is one solution that is obvious. In a school setting you have a percentage of clinically vulnerable staff. You will also have a percentage of clinically vulnerable children or children with vulnerable parents. Rather than declare "all back to school" allow those children whose parents "want" them to remain at home to continue their home schooling which would be run from home, by the clinically vulnerable staff. If working from home is a continuous option for other companies why not schools?

Our school has done this home schooling part brilliantly whilst also remained open for other students. When teachers have home lessons I have been supporting them in zoom, so why this can't be a continuous ongoing option "for those who want it" baffles me.

If the Government wants to protect the NHS then protect the vulnerable - simple!!

Yes - totally agree. This could be a practical means of safeguarding the vulnerable, especially over the coming autumn and winter when the virus may surge. Remote teaching works brilliantly. I've been teaching from home via Zoom since lockdown and my pupils have made better academic progress than they would have in the classroom - particularly those who are easily distracted in a busy environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Picci

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remote teaching works brilliantly. I've been teaching from home via Zoom since lockdown and my pupils have made better academic progress than they would have in the classroom - particularly those who are easily distracted in a busy environment.
Wish the same could be said more widely. Some schools have outdone themselves. Others not so much. And it’s not always the ones you’d expect in either category.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
unions and teachers are resisting all efforts on the part of the government to return to normality. So, if you want to guarantee the safety of your child, be very clear that you will have to keep them under house arrest and home school them until they are 18

or, as anyone with teenagers will know, it may be better to keep them AT SCHOOL until they are 18.

Themis789

I'm not surprised with all the anxiety floating around.
I understand why it's very overwhelming at times.
Take measures to protect yourself whilst at work and keep yourself as health as you can. Even for other illness/conditions not diabetic related. Of course diabetes in por control comprises your immune system so you can catch more than this virus so your lifelong aim is to keep yourself health the best way you can. As us all.
You can do this. Don't doubt yourself. This is doable. :) :) :)

im in a similar position. I was shielding for 13 weeks and went off sick for 2 weeks sure to stress anxiety panic attacks offsetting my asthma. I was at the time off meds as the gp was going to put me on a new med. I returned back to work and was issued, a return to work followed by a disciplinary, which took place yesterday. They have issued me a written warning, the stress is affecting my health, and I feel that they’re not listening and taking into account my medical history. I’m ringing around organisations trying to get help to no avail. I will be appealing the decision, who can I turn to for support and advice?

Max68

im in a similar position. I was shielding for 13 weeks and went off sick for 2 weeks sure to stress anxiety panic attacks offsetting my asthma. I was at the time off meds as the gp was going to put me on a new med. I returned back to work and was issued, a return to work followed by a disciplinary, which took place yesterday. They have issued me a written warning, the stress is affecting my health, and I feel that they’re not listening and taking into account my medical history. I’m ringing around organisations trying to get help to no avail. I will be appealing the decision, who can I turn to for support and advice?

You have my sympathies as bar work itself, any Union you may be in or your GP I find advice for anyone with health issues that affect work very limited. Not sure what sort of GP practice you are with but if your GP is unsympathetic maybe try another GP as they are always all different with their approach. If you haven't already I would also try your local Citizens Advice and see if they can help or point you in the right direction.

Have you had a risk assessment? If not request one. I also don't know the legality of it but maybe design a letter that suggests that it's your company who are requesting that you return to work and ask for confirmation in the letter that the workplace is Covid safe? Maybe suggesting to them that this is "their" risk not yours and that sort of stance may be enough for them to play ball. Not sure though so probably discuss something like this with the CAB. I think what we ALL need to do is make it clear that it is the employer "requesting/demanding" that you return rather than it being our decision.

Themis789

You have my sympathies as bar work itself, any Union you may be in or your GP I find advice for anyone with health issues that affect work very limited. Not sure what sort of GP practice you are with but if your GP is unsympathetic maybe try another GP as they are always all different with their approach. If you haven't already I would also try your local Citizens Advice and see if they can help or point you in the right direction.

Have you had a risk assessment? If not request one. I also don't know the legality of it but maybe design a letter that suggests that it's your company who are requesting that you return to work and ask for confirmation in the letter that the workplace is Covid safe? Maybe suggesting to them that this is "their" risk not yours and that sort of stance may be enough for them to play ball. Not sure though so probably discuss something like this with the CAB. I think what we ALL need to do is make it clear that it is the employer "requesting/demanding" that you return rather than it being our decision.

My GP and nurse are understanding, but their hands are tied. Unless the govt change diabetics from clinically vulnerable to extremely clinically vulnerable theres not Much they can do. She gave me the sick note for 2 weeks, (this was at the time their was an outbreak in my workplace).

I had asked my employer for a risk assessment, which they have not provided. They’ve just replied back saying the guidance is wash your hands wear mask etc.. I again asked and was given a shirty reply reiterating the same washing hands, mask guidance. I don’t think they’re happy I’m asking for this and are using the full disciplinary procedures to get me fired.

ive read both my conditions are classed as a disability under the equality act 2010. I need further direction and clarity on this as I’m going to quote this in my appeal. My diabetes and asthma were under control until recently, and up until. Ow has had little affect on my work. There are a few other things going on, which I have to deal with, all work related, which is why I’m thinking they are trying to sack me by any means. Withmost helplines it’s hard to get to speak to
Anyone, I’ve made an apt with EAS later this week, I hope they can help, and not pass me around, as I have a limited time to appeal.

Last edited by a moderator:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My GP and nurse are understanding, but their hands are tied. Unless the govt change diabetics from clinically vulnerable to extremely clinically vulnerable theres not Much they can do. She gave me the sick note for 2 weeks, (this was at the time their was an outbreak in my workplace).

I had asked my employer for a risk assessment, which they have not provided. They’ve just replied back saying the guidance is wash your hands wear mask etc.. I again asked and was given a shirty reply reiterating the same washing hands, mask guidance. I don’t think they’re happy I’m asking for this and are using the full disciplinary procedures to get me fired.

ive read both my conditions are classed as a disability under the equality act 2010. I need further direction and clarity on this as I’m going to quote this in my appeal. My diabetes and asthma were under control until recently, and up until. Ow has had little affect on my work. There are a few other things going on, which I have to deal with, all work related, which is why I’m thinking they are trying to sack me by any means. Withmost helplines it’s hard to get to speak to
Anyone, I’ve made an apt with EAS later this week, I hope they can help, and not pass me around, as I have a limited time to appeal.
I think you will find the Diabetes UK helpline would be sympathetic. They seem to be running campaigns aimed at treating diabetics as a different category.
TBH I do not understand why you are feeling so vulnerable given the low rates of infection and low death rates for those of working age even with diabetes, but it is not for me to tell you not to worry. I think you run the risk of becoming ill with anxiety over this so hope you can find a way forward e.g. a staggered return to work to ease you in could perhaps be negotiated as you build your confidence?

Themis789

P. Union rep has not been of much help just tells me to go to the companies website and look through the policies. I’m waiting for the regional rep to contact me, hopefully I can get some clear direction

JRT

Good advice from Max68. I wholeheartedly emphasize! I experienced tremendous difficulties last week. My work situation is very high risk. I self isolated before the shielding letters came out but when the government actually stated those in receipt of flu jab would have to self isolate. It was there in black and white and later removed. Despite actively having Covid in building work have said it's safe,but have refused or blanked requests for individual risk assessments,alternative roles etc. They havent paid me since March. They wouldnt furlough me without a shielding letter. Since May I've bounced between Unison and Work and GP. GP grudgingly supportive although comments such as "this could go on for years and you cant be signed off sick forever " and yes I've got lots of patients in same position one carer just went back to work havent been particularly helpful. That said she has now signed me off until the end of September with "stress caused by risk of returning to work caused by risk of being exposed to covid due to diabetes "!. From a union perspective it's a game,I have to keep submitting the same requests to see if they continue not to comply. Rightly or wrongly it is a process based on pre covid. I did email CAB after spending an hour on hold on helpline.They emailed me back useful links to their website. ACAS may also be healthy. It's true that we are in No Mans Land as not shielded. I've even seen comments on here that we need to just get on with it and cant hide away. Of course the problem with this issue is individual circumstances, age, weight, diabetes control,where you work,how you get there ,who you work with,work environment.
Personally it drove me to point where doubted own judgement. For me the pivotal moment was discovering government/local council workers were told to work from home in March using original government guidelines. They were paid and supported. I used to work for council but a change of employer to the private sector has meant that despite having the same medical condition I have had to battle relentlessly to little good. I have wondered if I'm making an unnecessary fuss and the risk isnt there etc. Fortunately I can afford not to work for a while. After stating he sympathised with my "lived experience" my union rep asked what I wanted. My reply was simple, to be treated fairly and with consideration.
Ironically the only way my workplace may become Covid Safe is the governments opening up care homes to visitors. In Scotland they have stated staff and residents must be covid free for a month. England is less rigorous but it will force more unscrupulous home owners to be more transparent in how they are managing the virus,and if they cant why not?

Reactions: Picci and Themis789