Type 1'stars R Us

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As promised, the report back...

It wasn't quite as long a walk as planned, as the shop where I get the walking boots and other walking items was well and truly open for business, with everything I needed to get from there in stock! So, two pairs of new boots, one new sunny days hat, one new travel flask and one pair of a new brand of walking socks to try out needed to be bought home. The stock in this lovely little independent shop can be a bit erratic, so when the boots are in, I often get two pairs after the crisis a few years ago when my size was completely out of stock anywhere for ages. But, I did stop and have my picnic lunch before I lugged it all home.

I got home to find the council have finally decided what to do about the long-standing problem of fly-tipping/other unseemly behaviour at the disused garages at the back of my house and work will be taking place sometime over the next two months! Also means I will get a new fence at the bottom of my garden and that other than keeping the grass cut I will put off any more serious gardening at the back until other decisions around the rest of the fencing have been made. (Because that's a decision which has been regularly put off until it was known what was happening about the garages....)

So, as I had a bit of excitable energy to wear off, I went out again to check the local blackberry bushes and also discovered a fabulous load of wild raspberry bushes with plenty of berries for picking! It's a small grassy area, just off a path I walk along quite often, but rarely walk around the grassy area as it's often busy with dog walkers/football games.

And, diabetes has behaved itself all day - even after the mega yummy fresh off the bushes raspberries and blackberries for pudding.

Reactions: kev-w

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good afternoon :) @hh1 :p no, when the bathroom's done it's back to the living room/back room which is 'on hold', the bathroom refurb jumped up the job list as the shower packed up, it was supposed to be a temporary fix up that when I saw the issues became more involved :banghead: so I thought I'd make a job of it, and there's the hallway and a new bedroom for the youngest child before venturing back out into the real world job hunting :)

It's all go :p the grouting's done and I'm starting the flooring with the silicone caulking yet to do...
Crikey I was going to say when you've finished there's plenty to do here, don't think I can wait that long! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Must be really satisfying to be getting through such a lot all at once. All my decorating/gardening ends up being a bit piecemeal. You go, Kev!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning! It is 6am and have been awake since 4! Sat in beautiful, newly decorated for grandson bedroom reading. We worked like trojans to get it done for his return yesterday. Have only one room left to do now after 6 years in residence. Bloods settled after an epic roller coaster day yesterday. Parents coming on Friday and staying over. Things are starting to feel more normal. Hurrah!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning :) coffee beans ground and half drunk, waking blood of 6.1 but have dropped to 5.6 since getting up, porridge & poachies to come shortly and need to remember to drop my prescription in today so I'll try leaving me a reminder on here as I've forgotten about it so far this week.

It's all go :p

Reactions: karen8967 and hh1

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, a few emails today, a report I can put off till tomorrow, so then the day's my own, lots of gardening I hope. Puppy class was interesting, think I've forgotten more than my dog has, I also got stung by a wasp :eek: Only a very small one but it hounded me for at least half the class.

Have a good day all and hope you get to do at least something you'd like to!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I got a new sewing machine! Now I have to figure it out lol.....it should be easy. (hopefully) But I've had mine for 41 years and it needed repairs and cleaning etc. I had been using tailors for years before we moved, but who would have thought we have a huge shortage of tailors on this island? There is only 2 and both are by appointment only. So I've been back to sewing.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Mornin’ all, you’re all really busy: great, lovely.
I’ve not been on here for a couple of days so a bit of catching up and it was joyful.
Good luck with the sewing machine, refurbs, more walks, visits, fruit finding: nearer ‘normal’ life.
I had an outdoor lunch in old friends’ garden on Monday. They’re old friends in both ways, in their eighties and I’ve known them since the eighties. The husband’s cognitive and physical decline’s worse than it was when I last saw them: the wife and I conversed for six hours which didn’t begin to fill the face to socially distanced face conversing she, and I, missed while isolating. FaceTime and zoom really aren’t the same. It was fantastic to drive that far to catch up with them after what now seems like years but is in fact just five months.
My car’s getting crammed with stuff we’ll take to the dump tomorrow. It’s an estate, and even though I’ve got a load that included two self-assembly double beds, suitcases, tools, various appliances, cleaning stuff, garden kit and a camping chair in it before I think I’ll need to book another trip to the tip for the rest of the junk.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have pretty much the same routine every morning so why is it that THIS morning, I walked with the missus to her workplace and then started a slightly longer period of exercise when I suddenly thought to myself, "I haven't tested my blood glucose or taken any insulin ":banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: Sure enough the bagel I had for breakfast had done it's work and I was up at 12.9mmol by the time I got home. Can't understand how I simply 'forgot' the usual routine.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I did that the other day @urbanracer In my case I hadn't put on a new CGM yet and for some reason made myself a sandwich ate it and then realized I hadn't taken any insulin. I always prebolus meals, so I took some insulin and purposely didn't test as there was nothing I could do about it anyways. It would have just aggravated me knowing lol.................

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning Diabetnam!

Been a lucky birthday boy today. My Wife got me one of those Watlaa watches.
Currently got the thing on charge.

@porl69 @Fairygodmother . Is it possible to set this thing up with an existing running sensor. Or will it throw it all out??

Regarding my lovely wife, I must remember to clear my browser history.. ;)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Happy birthday @Jaylee
Watlaa watch... Ensure the watch is up to date (firmware version 0.5.1) you can check that in "settings" , "system Info". Make sure your MM is not "connected" to anything ie Xdrip, or whatever programme you are using. You may have to reset the MM BUT give it a try without resetting first.

Edited to add - a couple of calibrations and it will be fine

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had been using tailors for years before we moved, but who would have thought we have a huge shortage of tailors on this island? There is only 2 and both are by appointment only

Sounds like a stitch up to me :p

Reactions: urbanracer

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy birthday @Jaylee
Watlaa watch... Ensure the watch is up to date (firmware version 0.5.1) you can check that in "settings" , "system Info". Make sure your MM is not "connected" to anything ie Xdrip, or whatever programme you are using. You may have to reset the MM BUT give it a try without resetting first.

Hi yep, & thanks.
I use XDrip. I was kind of figuring get the phone to forget the MM, then set up with the watch. The phone already sees the watch...
Lol, the "destructions" don't give a lot to go on.. It said tap the bottom pannel? I couldn't work out which way up the watch was..
Thanks for the tip regarding the firmware..
I did get it to light half charge. & a familiar but blank XDrip screen came up. Starting to look promising
I'll wait till 100%.

Reactions: porl69

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy Birthday @Jaylee !

@kev-w - don't forget the Prescription! I'm reminding myself to go and get mine after the piano lessons for the day.

I don't normally do music lessons much out of term time, but it's been such an odd year and the enthusiasm is there to get going properly again, so we're making the most of it all. The pupils are both old enough to be sensible about current rules about distancing and cleaning - and we've reverted to them coming to me, as I have more space and a spare keyboard I can demonstrate at rather than us swapping around at the piano! Plus, they get to play the "CoronaVirus Etude" with the cleaning wipes. Some one's cleverly written the music out for the sounds of cleaning piano keys, the scoosh up then down the keyboard on the white keys, then the crunch of notes as you wipe from the back of the keys to the front of the keyboard from the bottom to the top. - It was very funny putting the music in front of them and watching the penny drop as to how easy it was to "play" as it looks horrendously difficult.Then, I do it properly with hot soapy water when they've gone, as the build-up of residue from the cleaning wipes is... not pleasant!

More further afield shopping today. I think I've finally re-stocked what was my usual stocks of various household and store cupboard food items, the last few months with only essential food shopping and occasionally other items proving in a crisis, I nearly always have about 6 months worth readily available. But, I had run my supplies down whilst I was avoiding using public transport.

Reactions: karen8967 and kev-w

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning Diabetnam!

Been a lucky birthday boy today. My Wife got me one of those Watlaa watches.
Currently got the thing on charge.

@porl69 @Fairygodmother . Is it possible to set this thing up with an existing running sensor. Or will it throw it all out??

Regarding my lovely wife, I must remember to clear my browser history.. ;)
happy birthday jaylee have a good one x

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A happy birthday @Jaylee proper spoilt!
Those of you handing prescriptions in. Have you resisted the move to online via the Gp. It’s the best thing I ever did. Order one day, usually in the chemist the next. We have been discouraged from using paper prescriptions.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A happy birthday @Jaylee proper spoilt!
Those of you handing prescriptions in. Have you resisted the move to online via the Gp. It’s the best thing I ever did. Order one day, usually in the chemist the next. We have been discouraged from using paper prescriptions.

Becca - Our pharmacy here has gone to free home delivery for those having repeats, during COVID. I was a bit miffed as I quite enjoyed the stroll to the village pharmacy, but they have been excellent.

My last 2 I have ordered online in the morning, and received the meds, at the front door, during the afternoon.

In normal times, it used to take 2 days, to get the paperwork to the pharmacy, after an online order, so there have been some positives out of this. That said, I will go back to pick up when possible.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Happy birthday @Jaylee. Sorry I didn’t reply earlier. Yes, you can get the watlaa going with a MM that’s running no matter how much time’s left for it, and the watlaa will keep going for the 12 hours’ time after the sensor ‘dies’ so it’s good to make that 12 hour gap a socially acceptable one (I start the new sensor 8.30 am and pm).
Have you bound it to the mm? You don’t need the phone to do that, just CGM and then firm press, then light press through to bridge. Wear it on the same arm as the sensor/mm to aid connection.
Calibration and alerts are also in the CGM section.