About to start (ok, next week)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, after much time fretting with much pacing back and forwards I think I'm actually about to start with my pump next week (admittedly this is what I thought back in March but nevermind - disorganisation (not by me) followed by covid delayed it somewhat).
But now at least I have all the stuff (ahem - ignore the new washing line in the pic - that wasn't meant to be in the pic - oh well)

But yeah I have all the stuff cos it's now going to be done via a WebEx call from Medtronic so that should be fun and games :) - does mean I've been able to unpack everything and have a good look around (you can see I've been really busy with work this morning right? :))

So yeah, I think I'm finally good to go :)

Any advice on insurance, and any other really useful accessories for the Medtronic 670g (or pumps ins general) appreciated :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200722_121815.jpg
    IMG_20200722_121815.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 361

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Rokaab

That is great news. Good luck with everything. I am in a similar position to yourself. My pump start date should have been May. I have been contacted this week by the Pump team based locally. They are currently planning remote training for me. The provisional date for this is the end of August, early September. I will be really interested to hear how things go for you

Good luck

Reactions: Rokaab

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Fab news @Rokaab :)

Keep us updated please ? I am supposed to be moving to that one some time this year.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fab news @Rokaab :)

Keep us updated please ? I am supposed to be moving to that one some time this year.

Will do.

For the moment I'm without the sensors that go with it (that I really wanted), apparently it was easier to get approval for the better pump without the sensors than with for the initial funding.
Whilst I have hypo awareness during the day (unless I've been drinking) I don't when asleep but the consultant reckoned the pump may mean I don't go hypo overnight anymore anyways (uh-huh) so I've gotta try without sensors for the time being - but am still getting the libre at least.

Reactions: porl69

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nice one @Rokaab. Mio Advance is brilliant. Pump insurance.....
Pump belt is a defo as well
Yeah that was the insurance place I thought I'd seen mentioned, but I figured double-checking was wise :) So thanks for linking.
Will go looking for a pump belt (Amazon is doing very well from me during lockdown/wfh lol) - ah didn't notice your link when replying - will check it out.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Yeah that was the insurance place I thought I'd seen mentioned, but I figured double-checking was wise :) So thanks for linking.
Will go looking for a pump belt (Amazon is doing very well from me during lockdown/wfh lol) - ah didn't notice your link when replying - will check it out.

I only use the belt at bed time as I clip my pump to my jeans waistband or pocket during the day and tuck the tubing in the waistband as well.

CE1965

To you all, the pump will be a life changer and you will never want to be without it.

I’ve been a T1d for over 35 years and had 3 pumps over the last 10 years. It really is so easy, and don’t worry about bed time, mine just roams free as I found it got to warm in a belt. You will get used to it.
BUT, do keep a track of your cannula sites and rotate all the time, it will help you in years to come, trust me.
If you use Fiasp, then you will soon get used to the dual bolus which allows you to delay part of the insulin, it is useful, especially when eating foods that sugar slowly.
Another trick is keep talking to other users, they are one of the most valuable resources to your learning.
With regards to insurance, get it as a single named item on your household insurance, it will probably cost you less, not that you are going to lose something that’s connected to you.
After the pump the second most valuable thing to me is my Dexcom G6 CGM

Good luck and ask questions.........

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, after much time fretting with much pacing back and forwards I think I'm actually about to start with my pump next week (admittedly this is what I thought back in March but nevermind - disorganisation (not by me) followed by covid delayed it somewhat).
But now at least I have all the stuff (ahem - ignore the new washing line in the pic - that wasn't meant to be in the pic - oh well)

But yeah I have all the stuff cos it's now going to be done via a WebEx call from Medtronic so that should be fun and games :) - does mean I've been able to unpack everything and have a good look around (you can see I've been really busy with work this morning right? :))

So yeah, I think I'm finally good to go :)

Any advice on insurance, and any other really useful accessories for the Medtronic 670g (or pumps ins general) appreciated :)

Good luck with it all, @Rokaab - A new adventure begins. :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Rokaab ,

Looks like you're on the home straight with it all. Seems like you've had a long wait..

Best of luck.

& hi @CE1965 '

Welcome to the forum. :) Great to have you onboard..
You sold the idea to me!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all :)

With regards to insurance, get it as a single named item on your household insurance, it will probably cost you less, not that you are going to lose something that’s connected to you.
I think its more in case I drop it or break it somehow :)
I think I may go for the separate insurance that has been suggested though, the last time I had to deal with my contents insurance it took too long for them to deal with it (and the only thing that had been stolen was a tv - literally that was the only thing that was stolen)

Rokaab - I hope the pump works out as helpful as you hope. As others have said, it may take some perseverance to set it up for your body's needs. It is not about luck - it is definitely perseverance and more brain power than you would hope at first.
Well it probably helps that I can be very persistent, and can persevere when its to my advantage

Looks like you're on the home straight with it all. Seems like you've had a long wait..
Yeah, I initially got approved at the beginning of November - so it feels like forever - and yes I am now counting down the hours :) - 1 day 13 hours to go :)

Reactions: In Response

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I initially got approved at the beginning of November - so it feels like forever - and yes I am now counting down the hours :) - 1 day 13 hours to go :)

I'm a patient guy.. Sending all that kit you pictured. They can't back out on you now..
Believe in yourself & you will be brilliant.! Don't count the final hours. Don't look at the boxes. Your Christmas will come.
I understand the difference twix "cup half empty" & full. ;)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a patient guy.. Sending all that kit you pictured. They can't back out on you now..
Believe in yourself & you will be brilliant.! Don't count the final hours. Don't look at the boxes. Your Christmas will come.
I understand the difference twix "cup half empty" & full. ;)
I used to be patient, when I was younger :)
And yeah last time (just before lockdown), I didn't find out I wouldn't be starting til the day before the appointment that had been set, so I'm very much crossing my fingers still.
And too late, already been through the boxes completely - well it was staring at me! It had been staring at me since I'd collected it from my hospital clinic

Reactions: porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to be patient, when I was younger :)
And yeah last time (just before lockdown), I didn't find out I wouldn't be starting til the day before the appointment that had been set, so I'm very much crossing my fingers still.
And too late, already been through the boxes completely - well it was staring at me! It had been staring at me since I'd collected it from my hospital clinic

To be fair I suppose.. It's always wise to check the contents.! :D

What day is your appointment?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Rokaab have a fiddle with the pump buttons to get used to them. It wont do any harm!
Also house insurance can take an age to "pay up" whereas pump insurance get you a new pump in 24 hours (on average)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be fair I suppose.. It's always wise to check the contents.! :D

What day is your appointment?

Given that I'm a bit of a geek there was no way whatsoever it wasn't getting looked at :)
My appointment is tomorrow morning - so yeah less than a day to go :)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I'm now a cyborg :):):)

The training went well over the internet, including when the first inserter (for the cannula) didn't work (I think I just didn't give it enough welly)
Have had to hide the pens before I go into autopilot mode for when I have lunch

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Well I'm now a cyborg :):):)

The training went well over the internet, including when the first inserter (for the cannula) didn't work (I think I just didn't give it enough welly)
Have had to hide the pens before I go into autopilot mode for when I have lunch

I found not carrying a pen around really difficult for the first few days and not doing a basal shot in the evening was hard as well. Good idea hiding the pens.....also take the needles off them as well

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Rokaab forget to say, you will soon see why a lot of people put down that they are having a "naked" shower :) When your set change and Libre change is due on the same day.......its the best shower ever :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: