My HBA1c and bloods are back - glad and sad!!

Max68

So,,,, no appointment via phone with the GP until next week and I didn't have the bravery to check for my latest HBA1c results until today when I contacted surgery and they sent a copy to me via email.

Why the terror?! Well I haven't been on this website that long and had noticed some no no's on here that since my last HBA1c in December of 58 they had crept into my diet. The no no's - I have been eating a lot more fruit, punnets of black/red grapes, apples and the odd banana and no matter how hard I try, especially since lockdown, I have had too many potatoes/chips/crisps (a lifelong weakness!) although have cut down massively on bread, rice and other carbs and when I rarely do have them I have brown. No lectures would be appreciated - I know!! Have eaten a lot more protein, with bacon, eggs and sausages the norm and generally eat meat several times a week. On the plus side, since lockdown certainly, I have been walking most days and am back into the golf so more walking!

The goodish news is the HBA1c is down from 58 to 51. After a 10 point jump from 48 to 58 between June 19 and December 19 to drop from 58 to 51 between December and July despite my no no's is reasonably pleasing.

The bad news is my cholesterol is up from 3.5 in June 2019 to 5.6. Good cholesterol remains static at 0.8 and for some reason the bloods haven't shown the bad LDL levels since 2018 so will check with GP on that. Concerningly Triglycerides have jumped from 2.6 to 6.7 in a year and not 100% sure what the "Se non HDL cholesterol level" is although it's up to 4.8. Lymphocyte count up 1.0 at 3.1 and Mean corpusc. haemoglobin(MCH) up 0.9 to 32.9 although GP has labelled them as normal as they have always been in that area.

So pleased to an extent with HBA1c as I know I can definitely make improvements on that and whilst disappointed with cholesterol and triglycerides I was told over the phone when I booked the test that they wouldn't be taken as it was a NON fasting test for the HBA1c so they will be up considering they usually take those as a fasting test. My triglycerides jump around anyway for some bizarre reason. They were 8.9 at start of June 2017 and when retested at end of June they were 2.8. Maybe cutting out more carbs and having more fat has contributed I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised it's the NON fasting test that hasn't helped.

So all in all a learning curve and happier with the HBA1c than I was with it at 58 although surprised it came down with all those grapes and strawberries!! Better than cakes and pastries I guess!!

Have attached bloods since 2011.

Attachments

• HBA1C Word-converted (1).pdf
    100.8 KB · Views: 127

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So pleased to an extent with HBA1c as I know I can definitely make improvements on that and whilst disappointed with cholesterol and triglycerides I was told over the phone when I booked the test that they wouldn't be taken as it was a NON fasting test for the HBA1c so they will be up considering they usually take those as a fasting test. My triglycerides jump around anyway for some bizarre reason. They were 8.9 at start of June 2017 and when retested at end of June they were 2.8. Maybe cutting out more carbs and having more fat has contributed I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised it's the NON fasting test that hasn't helped.
What had you eaten/drunk before the bloods were taken?
A non fasted full lipid panel isn't usually done.

Max68

What had you eaten/drunk before the bloods were taken?
A non fasted full lipid panel isn't usually done.

I know it confused me as you say it usually isn't done. I know I had a couple of coffees that morning and ate late the night before as I got back late from golf but can't remember what I had. Usually you don't have anything but water after 8pm the night before if I remember correctly for a fasting.

Wondered to start with if it was actually my results as it had an O/E - blood pressure reading reading of 127/69 down for 17th July plus body mass index, body weight and standing height which I haven't had done in the surgery for years! The GP may have taken a reading from my BP monitor results last year or the details could have been grabbed from my last hospital appointment back in November as they always take your BP, height and weight at that time. Had a QRISK2 cardiovascular disease 10 year risk score 26.8% as well which I have never seen before. Maybe this GP does things differently! I'll ask her next week.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it confused me as you say it usually isn't done.

Conspiracy theory blah blah but the more times tests are done unfasted then I'm guessing the more statins are prescribed and the more the surgery benefits financially...

Max68

Conspiracy theory blah blah but the more times tests are done unfasted then I'm guessing the more statins are prescribed and the more the surgery benefits financially...

Be interesting what she says then cos I'm already on statins!! :eek:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Be interesting what she says then cos I'm already on statins!! :eek:
Do you know why you are on stains and was the dose increased gradually to a point where the blood test showed your lipids were OK? Yes, do a fasting test if you want a more reliable lipids 'panel. Also do ask to be added to your surgery online access for tests results. Much more use to be able to go to your annual review knowing your results and not wasting time being told them; use the time to discuss actions if any.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
surprised it came down with all those grapes and strawberries!
Did you realise that strawberries are MUCH lower in carbs, (being one of the lowest carb fruits along with most other berries) than grapes, which are one of the fruits highest in carbs (bananas are the highest)? A quick look at Diet Doctor's pictorial presentation of the highest and lowest carb fruits might be helpful:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

Max68

Do you know why you are on stains and was the dose increased gradually to a point where the blood test showed your lipids were OK? Yes, do a fasting test if you want a more reliable lipids 'panel. Also do ask to be added to your surgery online access for tests results. Much more use to be able to go to your annual review knowing your results and not wasting time being told them; use the time to discuss actions if any.

Think it was 2011 when I was put on them looking at my results at the top. 40mh Pravastatin daily. Think it's always been that dose. 500mg Metformin one tablet twice a day from 2011 until 2013 I think then two tablets twice a day since.