My head is spinning. First real post.

Jennji

Hello all, (long thread)

Well, I got diagnosed yesterday with T2. It has all gone so fast. A shortened version of my story is as follows:
About 2 years ago had a a1C done after having my ‘over 40’ check up with my local GP and my blood sugars were 11.3. I had explained that I hadn’t eaten in two days, however an hour before my check up I finally ate some bread hand and cheese. But they wanted a test anyway. I get a call saying: your test says 51 so the docs want you to take another test. I said, “what does 51 means?” Only to get ‘I don’t know.” No one actually gave me any info about my test at all. So, not being happy and not wanting another label, I watched my diet carefully but waited almost 1 year before testing my A1C again. I did test my glucose before and after meals and the readings weren’t great but not too bad, for a few months. Highest was 7.8 post meals. However this time I got 47 on my A1C. But the call just said, ‘your blood tests were all fine’. Mind you no one actually said i was prediabetic or anything. Now we come to the present. I had been noticing small signs like needing the loo at night a few times a week and being tired, since covid started, but just put it down lockdown etc. However, by chance Saturday, I decided to check my blood about an hour after dinner and it was 16. I was shocked! So, I tested all Sunday determined to speak to my GP Monday. The readings all day were awful. Never dropping lower that 11 or 12 and highest up to 16, which stay that was through my sleep and fasting and was the same in the morning. Luckily, my GP is good and I managed to request the blood test and get it done the same day.So, Tuesday morning I get a call to ask me to come in to ‘discuss’ my blood test. Well, I knew what as coming. Seeing as T2 runs in my family (grandmother, uncle, aunt, cousin and brother all have it) and I also have PCOS which is highly linked to insulin resistance, I knew I didn’t stand much of a chance.In the meeting, the GP gave me My A1c of : 99. Well I was in shock. I think I thought maybe 60 but wow! What a shock! But at least now, I know where I am and so I can move forward. I think, I spent most of yesterday, trying to get my head around actually realising it was bad news, but that I knew it had been caught ‘early’. However, now, it is knowing which route is best to take.

I started metformin yesterday, the slow realise, which to be fair I had been on for a short while years ago when trying to conceive; with the usual trips to the loo side effects. And years later it seems to be no different.

I know me, I know that once I find the right path I will be fine. But I cannot get my head around how to deal with all of my stuff in one go.

Diet I know is key. However, I don’t smoke, I don’t drink, in fact I only drink water 24/7, no soda, juice etc only the occasional lactofree milk. I don’t eat much in the way of processed foods or biscuits, cakes etc. I do have rice, pasta and breads, but again usually brown, which I now know are just as ‘bad’ as white. I don’t have big portions as I am generally never hungry enough. I am happy to consider vegan and currently am just doing low carb /low fat/reduced calories. Because I use mynetdiary to keep track of my glucose reading and all my vitamins. I am perfectly aware my weight is an issue as it has been for many many years. Like many women I yo/yo’ed for years.

I’ve got my sister in law telling me to do fasting daily for 18hours. My brother telling me to go vegan /plant based for a while to get hold of things ( he is a trauma nurse in the US and also has diabetes- which helps him) I am reading good results for keto/keto vegan) and it just all seems like so much. I’ve read about 15 different international studies, full papers on the internet , showing all kinds of results for so many variations of all kinds of ‘diets’.. Plus, I also have to deal with having no gallbladder, which at the moment seem to be causing issues, as now with my recent diet changes over the last few days and since metformin, I am producing larger amount of bile ( unless the metformin is flushing my liver) which hadn’t been an issue for me except for a short period after the removal. It is all so much to take in. And to top it all, I’ve chosen to start back on my adhd medication, which helps me focus and removes any hunger, it also means that I have no inclination to actually want to eat, which is obviously an issue too for my metformin and keeping my sugars stable. If i eat when not hunger, I physically want to be sick and that will not be good either.

So for now, at least till I see the nurse on Friday, I am just ensuring I have reduced cals, reduced carbs, tracking my sugars , fats and proteins and trying to exercise a bit more where possible. I figure, I will try vegan for a few weeks once I am fully established on my meds, but I just find this whole thing a lot to take in. Like someone just handed me a giant box of rubbish and said ok, you sort it out or you’ll regret it, missus!

My brother is optimistic and so am I in that, I know any regime I chose, I will be able to stick to without issues. But I too know, that as I also have a numberic OCD and with all this ‘counting’ I may be in danger of adversely effecting my mental health. There is umpteen things to consider and knowing that my poor aunt recently lost her leg due to complication of diabetes, I don’t want to go down that road.

So onward and upward from here. Fingers crossed the docs don’t want me to go to a ‘group’ I don’t do groups.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I went keto when I was diagnosed. The best thing about it is you lose your appetite and cravings.

Get yourself a meter. Test before you eat and 2 hours after. You are looking for a rise of 2 or less.

I believe a vegan can be done, with some difficulty.

Get hold of The Diabetes Code by Jason Fung. It's an eye opener. Low carb can also help with PCOS.

Reactions: VashtiB and LaoDan

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Phew Jennji, what a stressful time it has been for you. What I do know is that on this site you will find a multitude of people who have the actual experience to help you, rather than the often well meaning but useless 'advice' from those who think they have the answer. Welcome to the forum. xx

Reactions: LaoDan and ziggy_w

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I figure, I will try vegan for a few weeks once I am fully established on my meds, but I just find this whole thing a lot to take in.
As @xfieldok says you can do vegan (and I believe there is a section of the forums for vegetarians/vegan with recipe ideas), but it will cut down on your choice of things you can eat, if you want to go vegan for other reasons such as ethical or just not liking the taste/texture of non-vegan stuff that's fine, but if you're doing it for your diabetes it wont make a difference.

Jennji

Hi
I went keto when I was diagnosed. The best thing about it is you lose your appetite and cravings.

Get yourself a meter. Test before you eat and 2 hours after. You are looking for a rise of 2 or less.

I believe a vegan can be done, with some difficulty.

Get hold of The Diabetes Code by Jason Fung. It's an eye opener. Low carb can also help with PCOS.

Thanks for the advice. I just looked at the link. I am so so torn. I guess if I am being tested every 3 months. Then I will have a chance to see which of the many approaches work best for my body. Appetite and cravings aren't usually an issue for me, luckily. I don't usually snack and have two or one meal a day most days and with my meds I sometimes have to force myself to eat, but I am sure I will adjust as time goes on. Thanks so much for your replay.

Jennji

Phew Jennji, what a stressful time it has been for you. What I do know is that on this site you will find a multitude of people who have the actual experience to help you, rather than the often well meaning but useless 'advice' from those who think they have the answer. Welcome to the forum. xx

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I will no doubt be reading any experiences as I go along. Cheers for the welcome.:)

Jennji

As @xfieldok says you can do vegan (and I believe there is a section of the forums for vegetarians/vegan with recipe ideas), but it will cut down on your choice of things you can eat, if you want to go vegan for other reasons such as ethical or just not liking the taste/texture of non-vegan stuff that's fine, but if you're doing it for your diabetes it wont make a difference.

I am not fussed about which approach I use, there just seems to be so many. I've been reading so much about all of the ideas and all seems to have pros and cons as well as umpteen studies proving this way and that which are all subjective. It just seems like there are so many things to consider and I guess I am concerned choosing badly will have a great impact. But at the end of the day, I need to get this weight off and so, I'm eager to start with that and fingers cross this time next year there will be a lot less of me:) Thanks for your reply. xx

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Click on the link in my signature.

Do you research. Your body, your health. Have a look at the success stories thread.

I read loads but kept coming back to low carb/keto.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum!
I was diagnosed a bit over three years ago now in 2017. I was started on Metformin and after finding this forum that night I went low carb. I lost over six stone and have had non diabetic HbA1c readings since 4 months after diagnosis. However I particularly wanted to tell you about my gall bladder issues. I had my gall bladder removed in 2000, it was chock a block with stones. From shortly after removal until I went low carb I suffered from chronic diarrhoea, an effect I think you’ve hinted at yourself. Since eating low carb my diarrhoea has disappeared, I’m hoping you find the same if you choose the low carb route too.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I went low carb (not very low) on diagnosis and was surprised at how fast my blood sugar went down.
I was worried about the fat because even after getting my gallbladder out a few years before I had issues if I ate much fat in a single meal - but that has actually improved since cutting carbs. And my triglycerides improved.
I cut out rice, potatoes and most root veg, most fruit, cereals and I only eat very limited amounts of lower carb bread - and not every day.
It was a huge change at first, and took a lot of time to adjust as I weighed everything, cooked from scratch and carefully counted carbs - now I can judge how much to eat, know what is good to eat from a menu, and as I got into remission allowed myself a few more carbs.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Only go low-fat if you need to because of the missing gall bladder, otherwise have fat as part of your low-carb diet together with proteins in some form. Forget Calories as they are irrelevant despite slimming companies using them for marketing. The body metabolises each food group in different ways so measuring them in food is of little use. Just keep the carbs down to a level that keeps weight and BS in range and then have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full

Jennji

Hi and welcome to the forum!
I was diagnosed a bit over three years ago now in 2017. I was started on Metformin and after finding this forum that night I went low carb. I lost over six stone and have had non diabetic HbA1c readings since 4 months after diagnosis. However I particularly wanted to tell you about my gall bladder issues. I had my gall bladder removed in 2000, it was chock a block with stones. From shortly after removal until I went low carb I suffered from chronic diarrhoea, an effect I think you’ve hinted at yourself. Since eating low carb my diarrhoea has disappeared, I’m hoping you find the same if you choose the low carb route too.

Thanks so much for your relay:) That is very encouraging info. Fingers crossed I will get there too. Yes, I intially had bowel issues right after too but it was only for a short while, as I started to look into oxbile. But then I started to take natural digestive enzymes to help my system and it all stoped and it also helped me process all the fibre from the foods I was eating. No more gas or sluggish digestive system for me. It has even helped my husband too who has bad IBS, where actually eating fibre makes everything a million times worse, but with the enzymes, he has 'textbook' bowels. LOL The metformin though is driving me nuts. Cannot stand all the "surprise" movements that are happening. LOL

May I ask, did they take you off the metformin then once you had non diabetic HbA1C? I honestly hate taking medication, In fact I don't even like paracetamol, but needs must sometimes.So the sooner I can get off this stuff, for me the better.

I am trying to see how things will work and right now I've set my carbs at 50g max a day, 180g protein, which may perhaps be a bit too and the 98g fat which seems to be the 'right' percentages for my weight and may need adjusting. I am finding though that no only am I eating too little calories wise, I am not even reaching half of my targets, so not a great start as I know I am under eating by a long way. I also don't want to end up just eating stuff to 'get to the targets'. My is making dinner tonight and I already know I am going to quite short and he suggests pork stretching as a snack. I just think, if I am going to eat something, I want to feel it is actually good for me and give me nutrients and not just a crunch bit of fat.

Thanks again for your comments, much appreciate and hope to see you about:)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jennji,

Just wanted to take the opportunity to say "hi" and welcome you to the forum.

I really empathize. My blood sugar levels at diagnosis were similar to yours (HbA1c of 100), and I distinctly remember being really shocked though I should probably have known better because I had all the symptoms.

After diagnosis in 2015, I went low carb, gradually drifting towards a ketogenic way of eating (generally less than 20g of carbs per day) and have had truly normal blood sugar levels ever since. I was even been able to come off metformin after a year (even though personally I had no issues with it). So, definitely a vote for the low carb approach from me.

The reason low carb works so well for many of us T2s is that carbs trigger an insulin response, which adds to an already high level of circulating insulin (T2 is generally characterized by high rather than low insulin levels). High circulating insulin, in turn, increases insulin resistance, which again triggers a high insulin response to overcome this resistance. Many researchers argue that this vicious cycle starts 10 years or even longer before being diagnosed. Diagnosis happens when the pancreas can no longer keep up with producing ever increasing levels of insulin.

Lowering carbs then is a way to lower circulating insulin levels (no or little insulin response required), thus decreasing pressure on the pancreas and allowing it to recover. However, this also unables us to access body fat for energy (and thus loose weight) as when insulin is high, only glucose, but not body fat can be metabolized (thus weight gain or inability to lose weight is often a sign of insulin resistance).

As others have already mentioned, low carb is much easier if you can include all foods derived from animals. However, it can also be done by just including dairy products and eggs. Vegan is a bit more challenging.

By the way, you don't necessarily need an HbA1c to see if it works, your meter should let you know.

So, welcome again and hope you find a way that works for you.

Edited for grammar, missing words and clarity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jennji

Jennji

I went low carb (not very low) on diagnosis and was surprised at how fast my blood sugar went down.
I was worried about the fat because even after getting my gallbladder out a few years before I had issues if I ate much fat in a single meal - but that has actually improved since cutting carbs. And my triglycerides improved.
I cut out rice, potatoes and most root veg, most fruit, cereals and I only eat very limited amounts of lower carb bread - and not every day.
It was a huge change at first, and took a lot of time to adjust as I weighed everything, cooked from scratch and carefully counted carbs - now I can judge how much to eat, know what is good to eat from a menu, and as I got into remission allowed myself a few more carbs.

Thanks so much for commenting. Yes, I was the same after, however, it did seem to help me with my lactose intolerance bit which I thought odd. So you found that your cholesterol was helped by eating more fats in replacement of the carbs? Was that animal fats or plant based fats? I am planning on trying some of the coconut flour bread and almond breads out to see how it goes. I do love bread but didn't have it that often, a few times a week before lockdown, but since covid, hubby was making more bread and well...it just smells so good. haha It probably didn't help me though and being less active being stuck in, but there it is. Luckily for me, I wasn't ever a big processed food fan and we always cook from scratch that is a great thing. I think I worry eating more fats will negatively impact my cholesterol and that is also a concern with raising my fat intake. Luckily, my cholesterol is fine as it my BP so, for now I am ok, and still young enough to get things shifted. I am sure in a month or two after keeping and eye on things I will be more of a believer and reading more testimonies.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As to other good sources, you might want to have a look at the results of Virta Health (https://www.virtahealth.com/outcomes), who have conducted a clinical study on low carb, including the famous TedX talk by Sarah Hallberg, who is now clinical director there https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3A2BA0C29C07AF2D4A9D3A2&view=detail&FORM=VIRE.

I'm personally also a big fan of Ben Bikman, a researcher who focuses on the role of insulin in metabolism. There are lots of youtube videos of him. I find these videos extremely helpful in understanding what goes wrong in T2 diabetes.

Jennji

Hi @Jennji,

Just wanted to take the opportunity to say "hi" and welcome you to the forum.

I really empathize. My blood sugar levels at diagnosis were similar to yours (HbA1c of 100), and I distinctly remember being really shocked though I should probably have known better because I had all the symptoms.

After diagnosis in 2015, I went low carb, gradually drifting towards a ketogenic way of eating (generally less than 20g of carbs per day) and have had truly normal blood sugar levels ever since. I was even able to come off metformin after a year (even though personally I had no issues with it). So, definitely a vote for the low carb approach for me.

The reason low carb works so well for many of us T2s that carbs trigger an insulin response, which adds to an already high level of circulating insulin (T2 is generally characterized by high rather than low insulin levels). High circulating insulin, in turn, increase insulin resistance, which again triggers a high insulin response to overcome this resistance. Many researchers argue that this vicious cycle starts 10 years or even longer before being diagnosed. Diagnosis happens when the pancreas can no longer keep up with producing ever increasing levels of insulin.

Lowering carbs then is a way to lower circulating insulin levels, thus decreasing pressure on the pancreas and allowing it to recover. However, this also unables us to access body fat for energy (and thus loose weight) as when insulin is high, only glucose, but not body fat can be metabolized (thus weight gain or inability to lose weight is often a sign of insulin resistance).

As others have already mentioned, low carb is much easier if you can include animal foods. However, it can also be done by just including dairy products and eggs. Vegan is a bit more challenging.

By the way, you don't necessarily need an HbA1c to see if it works, your meter should let you know.

So, welcome again and hope you find a way that works for you.

Wow, thank you so much for your response. I'm learning more and more as I go. It does make absolute sense and I think for now that is the way I shall go. I think sometimes I just wish I had a list of 'do this" don't do that" and then I know where the land lays. See, I do LOVE meat. I love dairy, although only with a lactase tablet. I know this approach would be quite easy for me to implement. It is just the FAT I cannot get my head around. Eating some fruit (95% which I usually save for my kids) I do enjoy, but it is figuring out which ones are best for me. Veg...I will eat anything, but then again, I keep seeing conflicting info on what is good or bad. I've been on many diets so know how the 'scoot around" works for things I may miss. But to be honest, I don't have a sweet tooth I am more of a savoury girl and I only every had tortilla chips or the occasion ready salted chips, so since they are gone now, meh....I rarely had them anyway. I will miss my potatoes and pasta, but zoodles are lush and cauliflower rice was already a staple in our house. It is just going to be getting the food down me without fear or concern. And perhaps trying to work out a regular eating pattern because I tend to eat most of my calories in my evening meal once my ADHD meds aren't effecting my hunger and I don't eat after dinner unless I am too short of calories and so may have some cheese or something little. My meter has been helping me for sure. But still trying to figure out why my readings seem to be lower in the afternoon...in fact they are usually the lowest of the day.

Anyway, thanks so much for your info, it has been enlightening for sure. xx

Jennji

As to other good sources, you might want to have a look at the results of Virta Health (https://www.virtahealth.com/outcomes), who have conducted a clinical study on low carb, including the famous TedX talk by Sarah Hallberg, who is now clinical director there https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3A2BA0C29C07AF2D4A9D3A2&view=detail&FORM=VIRE.

I'm personally also a big fan of Ben Bikman, a researcher who focuses on the role of insulin in metabolism. There are lots of youtube videos of him. I find these videos extremely helpful in understanding what goes wrong in T2 diabetes.

Cheers for that, I shall have a check out. Much appreciated:)

Jennji

I also noticed you tag. I am still trying to understand the difference between the US readings and ours. Been a nightmare trying to get my brother to understand my results as he is in the US and they do it differently. He is also a trauma nurse so likes all the technical info and to be honest, here it seems like they don't give you very much info. I wish they would have a letter which showes and explained all my blood tests readings rather than just say ' yeah they are all good but this one' LOL