Is this Diabetes fatigue or something else?

RB80

Hi...I am struggling. My fatigue (heavy, sometimes aching limbs, sometimes weakness, sometimes lightheaded, and brain fog) has become all encompassing. I’ve been waiting for a referral to see if it could be mild Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but due to the pandemic that could take six months. Although I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes several years ago, I have only just started regularly testing my blood sugar. My morning readings so far are around 7.4- 7.9 then around 9.something after meals. My HBA1C has always been in the high 40s until just before Christmas when it had reached 51. My GP prescribed 500mg daily of metformin but my recent HBA1C hadn’t changed. Despite this my GP thinks my blood sugar levels are ok and doesn’t seem to think they would cause such profound fatigue. Looking on this forum of other people’s Fasting blood glucose readings, mine seems higher than most though.

I guess I want to know what is causing this dreadful fatigue, it is affecting every part of my life and getting me down. For years, I’ve always been thirsty, always needing the loo, I have the symptoms of high blood sugar and yet have continually been told it’s under control. I’m 40 and not overweight.

Any advice much appreciated.

Reactions: Mete90

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibly. But it’s also worth checking stuff like vitamins b12 and D, iron and ferretin along with thyroid if they haven’t done these already as there’s a fair bit of overlap in symptoms.

metformin is mild and doesn’t make a massive difference and it won’t act on what you eat. Are you doing anything else to manage your T2? Have you looked into low carb? Most of us here do this with a lot of success. I appreciate your not new to this but some of the info might be. Have a look through these links for ideas.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ish-i’d-been-told-at-type-2-diagnosis.173817/

RB80

Thank you HSSS. I have had those blood tests (and more!).

I’ve been thinking myself that I need to make some changes and try to go back to a low carb diet. I used to eat low carb and gradually my carb intake has crept up, probably why my HBA1C crept up. I took my eye off the ball to some extent diabetes wise as my focus has been on IBS and what I can and can’t eat (I’m also a Coeliac just to throw another dietary issue into the mix!). I’ll take a look at those links.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you HSSS. I have had those blood tests (and more!).

I’ve been thinking myself that I need to make some changes and try to go back to a low carb diet. I used to eat low carb and gradually my carb intake has crept up, probably why my HBA1C crept up. I took my eye off the ball to some extent diabetes wise as my focus has been on IBS and what I can and can’t eat (I’m also a Coeliac just to throw another dietary issue into the mix!). I’ll take a look at those links.
Not trying to labour the point but have you had sight of the actual numbers or just “normal” reported? The nhs levels and opinions of “normal” are not the same as optimum - and for some they are more than capable of producing quite debilitating symptoms if our individual bodies like to be at one end of the scale and we are sat at the opposite end.

aard

I have suffered from chronic fatigue like you , I would sometimes lay my head down for 5 mins an literally collapse for several hours hours.

The doctors told me it couldn't be diabetes related and I had tests for everything, even went to sleep clinic. Everything fine.

My blood levels were similar to yours which is why I think doctors dismissed diabetes.

When I learnt about low carb diet, I tried it and if I stick to it all the symptoms go, when I fall off the wagon all the fatigue comes back.

RB80

Not trying to labour the point but have you had sight of the actual numbers or just “normal” reported? The nhs levels and opinions of “normal” are not the same as optimum - and for some they are more than capable of producing quite debilitating symptoms if our individual bodies like to be at one end of the scale and we are sat at the opposite end.
Hmm no

Hmm no I haven’t had any of the readings of blood tests. I have struggled with vit D and iron levels in the past. With the most recent blood test I was told haemoglobin was ‘slightly low’ but everything else normal. Since testing my blood sugar over the last few days though I’m really starting to think it is the diabetes. I permanently feel lightheaded and sort of confused, but the feeling isn’t going away. It’s a little scary but perhaps the wake up call I needed. Sigh.. I’m going to miss my morning porridge!

RB80

I have suffered from chronic fatigue like you , I would sometimes lay my head down for 5 mins an literally collapse for several hours hours.

The doctors told me it couldn't be diabetes related and I had tests for everything, even went to sleep clinic. Everything fine.

My blood levels were similar to yours which is why I think doctors dismissed diabetes.

When I learnt about low carb diet, I tried it and if I stick to it all the symptoms go, when I fall off the wagon all the fatigue comes back.
That’s really interesting and good to know the low carb diet has helped you, it gives me hope.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
so low carb eating can get rid of this terrible fatigue, don't think I eat that many carbs but will have to check it out

RB80

That’s really interesting and good to know the low carb diet has helped you, it gives me hope.

so low carb eating can get rid of this terrible fatigue, don't think I eat that many carbs but will have to check it out
Just out of interest PatsyB, do you get the lightheadedness too? Mine has been constant for so many days now, it’s starting to worry me.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Just so very tired at times I have to sit and close my eyes after a while it tends to pass but does tend to make me think am doing too much at times lol

Nakkazi

Hello
Being a human insulin is the hardest job, then adding the part were you balance food , calculating the carbs, seeing what is wrong and what is right, then add your daily routines to all the above. This is tiresome,not easy at all.so take it day at a time,then stop seeing other people's results and saying am doing it wrong
No! We are different, we take different medications,we see different doctors,we HV different types of diabetes,we are from different countries, we HV different meal plans, etc,so stop comparing, and look for what's best for you, what makes you happy, what gives you results that want to make you work harder, what gives you rest.
One thing I have learned with DM is that it all starts with the mind,how we accept and the attitude we give it.
Fatigue is something we all have,not knowing how to fights it coz of the constant job of being a pancreas, doctor a chemist,a researcher,teacher, nurse, nutritionist,to ourselves,etc, just rest when you can, after all this ,and do your best to see you better.

Reactions: Mutineer

Mete90

Hi...I am struggling. My fatigue (heavy, sometimes aching limbs, sometimes weakness, sometimes lightheaded, and brain fog) has become all encompassing. I’ve been waiting for a referral to see if it could be mild Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but due to the pandemic that could take six months. Although I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes several years ago, I have only just started regularly testing my blood sugar. My morning readings so far are around 7.4- 7.9 then around 9.something after meals. My HBA1C has always been in the high 40s until just before Christmas when it had reached 51. My GP prescribed 500mg daily of metformin but my recent HBA1C hadn’t changed. Despite this my GP thinks my blood sugar levels are ok and doesn’t seem to think they would cause such profound fatigue. Looking on this forum of other people’s Fasting blood glucose readings, mine seems higher than most though.

I guess I want to know what is causing this dreadful fatigue, it is affecting every part of my life and getting me down. For years, I’ve always been thirsty, always needing the loo, I have the symptoms of high blood sugar and yet have continually been told it’s under control. I’m 40 and not overweight.

Any advice much appreciated.

Hi I’ve been diagnosed for 6 years been on metformin 1 tablet a day for about 4 years managed to bring my hbac1 to 47 lost 3 kg during the lockdown started getting hypos doctors stopped my metformin than hbac1 went up to 50 within a month.
I’ve been feeling tired too,lightheaded.
It could be stress as they told me.

aard

Hi I’ve been diagnosed for 6 years been on metformin 1 tablet a day for about 4 years managed to bring my hbac1 to 47 lost 3 kg during the lockdown started getting hypos doctors stopped my metformin than hbac1 went up to 50 within a month.
I’ve been feeling tired too,lightheaded.
It could be stress as they told me.

This annoys me about my doctors (dont have same gp), they keep telling me my fatigue is stress when it isn't . I have no stress, good pension, no kids/partner, secure job that pays well.

My fatigue is definitely related to diabetes. When i dont eat sugar/carbs it goes away but doctors don't accept that.

Its like when I was showing diabetes symptoms they dismissed them being related to diabetes because i was only pre diabetes. Again they blamed stress because all my test results fine. But when i was diag diabetes and took steps to try and remiss the diabetes the symptons went away so they were diabetes related.

Of course this is just my experience and others may actually have stress.

Reactions: Mete90

MetabolicJim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So you’ve checked blood sugar, vitamin D and thyroid. I think the next thing to try is electrolytes. I think diabetes can mess up your electrolytes with all the peeing. I’m not aware of any way to tell how much you need of what so I think you’ve just got to try them and see how you feel.

I quite liked the high5 zero tablets (not the caffeinated ones). Got a good mix of magnesium, potassium and sodium. Unfortunately they also have green tea extract which might mess with your thyroid but if you’re thyroid is OK and you don’t drink gallons of green tea then it’s probably OK.

I still take a magnesium supplement with breakfast. San Pellegrino water has some magnesium in it (amongst other things). Low sodium salt is high potassium.

Reactions: RB80 and Mete90

Mete90

So you’ve checked blood sugar, vitamin D and thyroid. I think the next thing to try is electrolytes. I think diabetes can mess up your electrolytes with all the peeing. I’m not aware of any way to tell how much you need of what so I think you’ve just got to try them and see how you feel.

I quite liked the high5 zero tablets (not the caffeinated ones). Got a good mix of magnesium, potassium and sodium. Unfortunately they also have green tea extract which might mess with your thyroid but if you’re thyroid is OK and you don’t drink gallons of green tea then it’s probably OK.

I still take a magnesium supplement with breakfast. San Pellegrino water has some magnesium in it (amongst other things). Low sodium salt is high potassium.

Thanks for the advice but all tests were normal in fact I had to stop taking my multivitamins has my b12 was over the range