HIGH BLOOD SUGAR IN THE MORNING

Speedbird62

Hi, I take a blood glucose measurement each morning and it always seems higher than at any other time. Does anyone know why this is please. Thanks

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
There’s something called the simyogi effect when the liver releases glucose to provide energy as we go from sleep to activity. It happens to people at varying times of the morning/early morning so it could be this.
The liver also releases glucose to counteract low blood sugars during the night so you’ll be higher in the the morning as a result.
Are you T1 or T2? Using insulin or not? T1s and insulin users sometimes have lows in the night that lead to highs in the morning, but I don’t know enough about the ways a low might occur for non-insulin users.

Speedbird62

There’s something called the simyogi effect when the liver releases glucose to provide energy as we go from sleep to activity. It happens to people at varying times of the morning/early morning so it could be this.
The liver also releases glucose to counteract low blood sugars during the night so you’ll be higher in the the morning as a result.
Are you T1 or T2? Using insulin or not? T1s and insulin users sometimes have lows in the night that lead to highs in the morning, but I don’t know enough about the ways a low might occur for non-insulin users.

T2, thanks for the info.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It might be the simyogi effect then, or maybe the amount of carb you ate at supper or before bed too.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Commonly called the dawn phenomenon. For those of us T2S controlling the condition through diet, it is annoying and usually the last number to come down.

Andy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fashion, consumerism, following the crowd, large crowds.
Thanks for that info and the blog link. Can someone answer why it is that I can actually have a lower blood sugar result AFTER eating than before. This morning first thing it was: 8.4. After my morning run and before breakfast it was 7.7 and then two hours after breakfast it was 7.4. I would like to get all these numbers down to below 6 but I'm struggling to make sense of the numbers

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
View attachment 42873
Exercise commonly reduces blood sugar. At the effect is not just immediate - it can reduce blood sugars for up to 48 hours.
Actually, there are many things which affect blood sugars as this graphic shows

Could probably add another 3 zeros on the end of that "42" :hilarious:

sgm14

This was something that confused me until I got a FreeStyle Libre and could see exactly what was happening. Turns out that sometimes (not always) my blood sugar had not reached the peak after two hours.

Hence sometimes, when I had a late meal, (say 9pm) I would test my blood sugar after two hours and it would be below 7, and I would go to bed and my blood sugars to continue to rise for another hour or two and then start to fall slowly, but they could still be above 7 when I tested in the morning.

But as others have said, there are other possible reasons.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
This is quite a good little graphic ……

Attachments

• 23E0569F-62F6-43BF-A044-907E73C9F881.png
    23E0569F-62F6-43BF-A044-907E73C9F881.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 568

Struma

Type of diabetes