Random glucose result

gemjam

Hello,

I was hoping someone could please answer my question.

I had a non fasting random glucose test at a high street chemist today which cost me £10. My result was 9.7. The person said it was a normal result for someone who had eaten breakfast within 2 hours of appointment time (had checked with pharmacy and they didn't say not to) Isn't this a high result for a non diabetic?

Family history of diabetes
I'm not diabetic
I'm very overweight
I have a large waist size

Thank you

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum. Was it a fingerprick test? One test tells you nothing.

To find your diabetes status, you need to ask your gp for the hba1c. Blood is drawn from your arm and tested in a lab.

What did you have for your breakfast?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The 9.7 depends entirely on what you had eaten and drunk in the couple of hours before the test, and could even be affected by what you did in those 2 hours - rush about? Run? Exercise?

gemjam

Hello xfieldok,

Thanks for replying I've made an appointment for 2 weeks time. It was a fingerprick test. for breakfast I had twice the recommended amount of coco pops

gemjam

Hi Bluetit1802,

Thanks for your help. I normally get up extremely early for work but I'm on holiday so I got up at 9am. Ate a large bowl of coco pops and rushed about like mad (rushing is something I never do so I must have been anxious)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it turns out you have diabetes, then the appropriate amount of cocopops is zero!. Good luck with the test and let us know how you get on

Have a great holiday.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Family history of diabetes
I'm not diabetic
I'm very overweight
I have a large waist size

I have no idea whether you have T2 diabetes ( you need the blood tests from your doctor), but be aware that the predisposition to process carbs badly (ie T2) is strongly genetic, and symptoms of the condition include weight gain and a large waist size. On the other hand, many many of the folk on here have gone into remission just by reducing their carb intake to a level their body can cope with, and as a bonus that remission tends to result in weight loss.

And if you're not used to blood tests, it helps to drink some water beforehand so you are not dehydrated. (Makes it easier to find a vein).

Reactions: ziggy_w

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree that the best thing you can do is to get the doctor to arrange blood tests including your HbA1c. If there is likely to be a delay I would suggest getting a meter and testing while keeping a record of what you ate. This will give you some more information.

I agree that there is a strong genetic predisposition to the inability to process carbs properly. Some people can eat as many carbs as they like and never get diabetes. Having said that my view is that a reduction in carbs is unlikely to hurt anyone as long as they are not on medication to lower blood sugar levels. I suspect that most people have a lot more carbs then they should. There are a lot more foods that are high in carbs readily available now.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hello xfieldok,

Thanks for replying I've made an appointment for 2 weeks time. It was a fingerprick test. for breakfast I had twice the recommended amount of coco pops

I think the recommended amount for anyone is zero coco pops, it's just junk food. Nothing good comes out of it. I also agree with what has already been stated about getting tested at your doctors. Good luck.

I really hope you are not diabetic and I agree with @EllieM about drinking some water before a blood tests. Will make it a lot easier.

Dark Horse

One of the ways to diagnose diabetes is:-
Diabetes symptoms (e.g. polyuria, polydipsia and unexplained weight loss for Type 1) plus a random venous plasma glucose concentration ≥ 11.1 mmol/l . https://www.diabetes.org.uk/profess...nitoring/new_diagnostic_criteria_for_diabetes
Another way is if 2 random blood glucoses are 11.1 mmol/l or greater, even without symptoms.
A random blood glucose of 9.7 mmol/l would therefore fall into the normal range.