Eye problems

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone ever had to get injections in the eyes. There is fluid at the back so I was told they are needed. Only my first injection I didn't handle very well and took a lot of my insulin afterwards. Now I am dreading the remainder ones.
I thought I was doing ok as I got hba1c down to 48

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone ever had to get injections in the eyes. There is fluid at the back so I was told they are needed. Only my first injection I didn't handle very well and took a lot of my insulin afterwards. Now I am dreading the remainder ones.
I thought I was doing ok as I got hba1c down to 48

Hi there - I'm fortunate not to have had to have any eye treatment, thus far, but I know my colleague @Jaylee had a course some time back. I can't recall all the details, but hopefully he'll drop in sometime today.

It might not be until a bit later (as more and more are heading back to "normal" working regimes), but he's usually pretty good at these things.

Good work on the A1c of 48 though.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @diabetic12yrs ,

I have had anti-VEGF jabs in both eyes. For macula oedema. & oddly the diagnosis came about after a short sharp shock to my diabetes managment. Bit of a "what the hey!" Moment on that one.. :banghead:
I since found out that pulling the socks up fast with the A1c can be detrimental to the eyes, It recomended a slow change when lowering A1cs?

What drugs are they injecting Eylea or Lucentis?

Through I found the prep work with the cleaning of the eye a bit of a faff. The actual jab wasn't to bad for me.
There was certainly no adverse effect on my BGs afterwards..

I'll tag in @Jim Lahey , he's had it done too..

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know what was in the injection at all. They just said I need to get a total of 6 injections. One eye will be done every month

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know what was in the injection at all. They just said I need to get a total of 6 injections. One eye will be done every month

Yep, that sounds like what was initially lined up for me.. Then they do further tests then possibly a further injection..?

Is it just the one eye with the issue for you?

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's been the both eyes. Blurry vision and small dots. Although noticeably clearer since the first injection was done.
Do the injections help overall in improving sight

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's been the both eyes. Blurry vision and small dots. Although noticeably clearer since the first injection was done.
Do the injections help overall in improving sight

They should do along with your wonderfully improved A1c. (They worked for me!)
You need to ask what you have been diagnosed with, & what you are injected with.?
Is your centeral field of vision a little distorted? C's can look like Os or Qs like C's or O? K like an H????
To be frank, i'd only heard of retinopathy? Then this "new one.." Fluid behind the eye distorting the vision.

I've never had retinopathy in all my 44 years of it. That's the kicker..

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they said before it was mild maculopathy. They are just really concerned with the fluid at the back of the eyes.
I can make out the letters no problem. Although a few weeks ago before the injection I felt as if I needed a magnifying glass on some things

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they said before it was mild maculopathy. They are just really concerned with the fluid at the back of the eyes.
I can make out the letters no problem. Although a few weeks ago before the injection I felt as if I needed a magnifying glass on some things

I was the same using the zoom function on the iPad for text & camera on my phone to read labels. (Like a magnifier.) Then changing the "accessibility" on my device a few years back..

I'm back to standard settings now. :)

M

Member496333

Thanks for the mention @Jaylee

Yes I have had anti anti-VEGF. For me it started out at diagnosis as mild retinopathy that then rapidly escalated as my glucose plummeted on keto. I had bilateral laser treatment to try to seal the bleeding, but both eyes reacted badly and I developed quite severe macular oedema in each.

I had whole portions of missing vision in both eyes and tons of geometric distortion. The injections went on for the best part of two years and only recently stopped. Even now my vision isn't perfect, and that's after more than two years of flatline nominal glucose. It continues to improve but I expect another two or three years will pass before I'm back to normal. If ever.

Don't take any chances with your eyes and diabetes, folks. It's not fun. My diabetes has now gone but I may have to live with its consequences for the rest of my days.

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
I've just had my 2nd of 3 done, the initial fear is of the unknown , its like a scratch in your eye, almost as if you brushed dustbin grit into it , the should be administering enough anesthetic drops to reduce or eliminate the pain

Hope it gets better for you