I know I should....

goozer321

Hi - pretty new in terms of posts - Type 2 c. 3 years, aged 56, generally a low sugar good boy and Xelevia controlled with some minor blood pressure related issues (also tablets).

I've just been offered a great job after several months unemployed (current climate, blah blah) with a Local Authority. It's mostly a desk job with some wandering around construction sites.

They have sent me an online medical questionnaire - I'm terrified they'll turn me down if I disclose, but I know I should....

Any advice?

Thanks

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - pretty new in terms of posts - Type 2 c. 3 years, aged 56, generally a low sugar good boy and Xelevia controlled with some minor blood pressure related issues (also tablets).

I've just been offered a great job after several months unemployed (current climate, blah blah) with a Local Authority. It's mostly a desk job with some wandering around construction sites.

They have sent me an online medical questionnaire - I'm terrified they'll turn me down if I disclose, but I know I should....

Any advice?

Thanks

Hi there, well I think you should disclose your medical condition. You have type 2 (not on any glucose lowering medication?) and from what you say, you are well controlled and could probably produce 'evidence' to that effect from your GP. At 56 years old I am sure that they would hardly be surprised to find some medical condition or other. Local authorities tend to have pretty specific legislation in place to prevent any discrimination and I am sure they are well informed about type 2 diabetes. The problem if you don't, is that they may well find out and that then becomes an integrity & possible misconduct issue for which they could even sack you for your non disclosure. I really do get the temptation to say nothing but honestly the form will probably go off to HR and never be seen again. x

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you not add 'Type 2 in remission'? That's if you are in remission of course.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d disclose. Doesn’t sound like type2 would interfere with the job and the consequences of not disclosing and it causing an issue once employed wouldn’t be good.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My reaction? (And I have worked for a local authority), is that it is far better to be honest and straight forward on your application, than risk being ‘found out’ at a later date. That applies to anything on an application form.

Though I doubt you have anything to worry about. Simply state that you have diet controlled T2, which is under good control.
- and look on it as good motivation to keep that control going :D

and CONGRATULATIONS on the job offer - excellent achievement in the current climate. You must have beaten a lot of other applicants. Well done!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Any advice?

Thanks
No job I have gone for in the last 15 of years have had a problem with my diabetes. It probably falls under the equality act 2010 if they were to turn you down due to it, but it really is unlikely they would. If anything, local authorities are much more likely to follow the law

you have to be honest if it is asked for. They could easily ask for a record from your doctor and I can guarantee lying about it would be much more serious than disclosure

many, many people have diabetes and get jobs every day. I can think of some roles than could be impacted by diabetes, if you suffer from hypos and are lone working for example but a desk job shouldn’t have any impact.

congratulations on your new job!

libbylondon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to support what others have said. I work in employee relations in central government and deal with conduct and equality issues on a daily basis. Honesty is the only way to go. As others have said, lack of honesty is the far bigger concern for any employer and could break the relationship of trust if it came to light. I also agree that a disability (which Diabetes is) is not a valid reason not to appoint you and you would have grounds for legal challenge if they withdrew an offer, unless a disability had a direct bearing on safety (eg epilepsy and heavy machinery). They ask these questions so they can fulfil duty of care and provide any reasonable adjustments required in law and not to trip you up or find a reason not to appoint you. They have offered you the role so obviously want you! Congratulations and enjoy the moment. Be open and honest and you should have absolutely nothing to fear.

goozer321

Hi there, well I think you should disclose your medical condition. You have type 2 (not on any glucose lowering medication?) and from what you say, you are well controlled and could probably produce 'evidence' to that effect from your GP. At 56 years old I am sure that they would hardly be surprised to find some medical condition or other. Local authorities tend to have pretty specific legislation in place to prevent any discrimination and I am sure they are well informed about type 2 diabetes. The problem if you don't, is that they may well find out and that then becomes an integrity & possible misconduct issue for which they could even sack you for your non disclosure. I really do get the temptation to say nothing but honestly the form will probably go off to HR and never be seen again. x
Just to support what others have said. I work in employee relations in central government and deal with conduct and equality issues on a daily basis. Honesty is the only way to go. As others have said, lack of honesty is the far bigger concern for any employer and could break the relationship of trust if it came to light. I also agree that a disability (which Diabetes is) is not a valid reason not to appoint you and you would have grounds for legal challenge if they withdrew an offer, unless a disability had a direct bearing on safety (eg epilepsy and heavy machinery). They ask these questions so they can fulfil duty of care and provide any reasonable adjustments required in law and not to trip you up or find a reason not to appoint you. They have offered you the role so obviously want you! Congratulations and enjoy the moment. Be open and honest and you should have absolutely nothing to fear.

Thanks for that - very helpful.

goozer321

No job I have gone for in the last 15 of years have had a problem with my diabetes. It probably falls under the equality act 2010 if they were to turn you down due to it, but it really is unlikely they would. If anything, local authorities are much more likely to follow the law

you have to be honest if it is asked for. They could easily ask for a record from your doctor and I can guarantee lying about it would be much more serious than disclosure

many, many people have diabetes and get jobs every day. I can think of some roles than could be impacted by diabetes, if you suffer from hypos and are lone working for example but a desk job shouldn’t have any impact.

congratulations on your new job!
Thanks - appreciate your time.

aard

Any advice?

Thanks

My understanding I am not a lawyer, that any lying on a job application is a criminal offence. The reason is you are gaining a finnancial reward through dishonesty. So it is basically theft. At the very least you are allowing them an easy way to sack you if you ever get into an employment dispute.

goozer321

Well, thanks for taking the time to reply, but I don't think that's the case - you earn the money by doing the work, so hardly theft. Dishonesty, yes. I've told the truth now, thanks for everyone's input.

Reactions: KK123

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You can in extreme cases as has happened in the past receive a prison sentence for fraudulent job applications.