DIY face masks & info on wearing masks effectively...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Normal breathing is in through the nose and out through the mouth. Maybe you are getting it round the wrong way :)

Please define ‘normal’.

My personal experience differs significantly from your description.

I am sitting here, comfortably at rest, breathing in and out through my nose.
When active, with heavier demands from muscles, or under stress, I switch to mouth breathing, since I have a diddy little ski jump nose and fairly narrow nasal passages.
When asleep I may breathe through nose or mouth, depending on position, dream state and booze quotient.
I consider all of those things ‘normal’.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please define ‘normal’.

My personal experience differs significantly from your description.

I am sitting here, comfortably at rest, breathing in and out through my nose.
When active, with heavier demands from muscles, or under stress, I switch to mouth breathing, since I have a diddy little ski jump nose and fairly narrow nasal passages.
When asleep I may breathe through nose or mouth, depending on position, dream state and booze quotient.
I consider all of those things ‘normal’.
My reply was meant to be light-hearted hence the smiley. Feel free to breathe however you like without being thought abnormal.

Reactions: Brunneria

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My reply was meant to be light-hearted hence the smiley. Feel free to breathe however you like without being thought abnormal.
Believe me you really would not like to get on Brunneria's bad side if she has one.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I imagine cutting the tealight casing would result in very sharp edges, to be treated with full caution.
If I had actually got round to making a mask, I would use the plastic covered wire sold for gardening.

Reactions: HSSS

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I can't believe that some people as has been reported, are actually asking their doctors for sick notes or letters for non existent conditions that would exempt them from wearing a mask.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't believe that some people as has been reported, are actually asking their doctors for sick notes or letters for non existent conditions that would exempt them from wearing a mask.
We humans can be perverse or even recalcitrant at times. :(

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
... snip ...
As to case numbers have a quick listen to Ivor Cummins aka Fat Emperor who has been looking at the data on mandatory mask wearing countries. Does Emperical Science Matter Anymore
I respect what Ivor says about fat etc since he makes sense. In the video he says how Sweden had no lock-down - actually they didn't have a total lock-down. Very different. Also, Swedes didn't need an official mandate to distance themselves.

The following link considers the stats (from a Swedish statistician who originally supported the relaxed lockdown) and compares the relaxed Swedish approach to the outcome of Nordic neighbours: Swedish death-rate per capita is 5 times that of Denmark and 11 times that of Norway. Not a great outcome.
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/more-or-less-behind-the-stats/id267300884?i=484332184

Ivor's graphs were of numbers of deaths in various countries and showed little change in death-rates at the point of masks being officially introduced. However, at those points lockdown/distancing measures were already in place so masks unlikely to make a huge difference to death toll since behaviours had already changed. Point: knowing how to correctly evaluate the empirical evidence is vital for the conclusion to be valid.
NOTE: as the UK and other countries begins to relax restrictions, mask wearing as a preventative measure makes good sense.

Edit to add: a mask is intended to lower the probability of someone becoming infected. If someone is infected, they don't drop down dead immediately: it takes time for the disease to progress to where it might cause death. Consequently, the effectiveness of mask introduction would only be visible in the death-rate figures some weeks after their introduction. Ivor was wrong to expect to see any immediate change after mask introduction, even if there had been no behavioural changes. Guess he's merely human like the rest of us! :)

Last edited:

Max68

Whilst looking for masks online I stumbled across this interesting bit of information on the entuk.org website. Basically in a nutshell it suggests whilst exhalation valves on a mask will make it more comfortable for the user it presents a risk to patients (in this report) due to possible Covid particles being exhaled "if" the user has infection. Not sure if these types of masks filter the air "in" but it seems they certainly don't filter the air "out".

We would recommend that clinicians should not use a FFP3 mask with exhalation valve when undertaking any close patient interaction. If your only available FFP3 mask has an exhalation valve, you should consider using a surgical mask to cover it to protect the patient as well as the extending the masks use. An unvalved FFP3 mask would be better.

Anyone have any suggestions for decent mask/visor combinations you are using for glasses wearers? So many options online like ties that go around the ears to tie ups behind the head, valved/unvalved as per above, etc etc?

I'm going to need quite a few for Autumn term and ideally reusable or fairly cheap disposable. If you were for instance to go down the FFP2 or 3 route they are really expensive, although I believe the public are advised not to buy those, even if you can find them, so the medical fraternity have enough to go around. Surprisingly there seem to be so many options online and it's not like you can go into a shop and try a few like you would do shoes!!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst looking for masks online I stumbled across this interesting bit of information on the entuk.org website. Basically in a nutshell it suggests whilst exhalation valves on a mask will make it more comfortable for the user it presents a risk to patients (in this report) due to possible Covid particles being exhaled "if" the user has infection. Not sure if these types of masks filter the air "in" but it seems they certainly don't filter the air "out".

We would recommend that clinicians should not use a FFP3 mask with exhalation valve when undertaking any close patient interaction. If your only available FFP3 mask has an exhalation valve, you should consider using a surgical mask to cover it to protect the patient as well as the extending the masks use. An unvalved FFP3 mask would be better.

Anyone have any suggestions for decent mask/visor combinations you are using for glasses wearers? So many options online like ties that go around the ears to tie ups behind the head, valved/unvalved as per above, etc etc?

I'm going to need quite a few for Autumn term and ideally reusable or fairly cheap disposable. If you were for instance to go down the FFP2 or 3 route they are really expensive, although I believe the public are advised not to buy those, even if you can find them, so the medical fraternity have enough to go around. Surprisingly there seem to be so many options online and it's not like you can go into a shop and try a few like you would do shoes!!!

Do you have a sewing machine, can you hand sew, or do you have any old t-shirts you can spare?

There are many, many options out there. Why not experiment in the comfort of your home, wearing one to do your housework or whatever?

I haven't tried any of the no-sew options, because I'm happy to sew. I have made a variety of the 3-pleat versions (really, super-easy and very little stitching needed, and the more vaulted version, but to do these "nicely" requires a bit more sewing.

I am quite petite person, and the 3-pleat versions are, in my view, easier to achieve a decent fit, but these things come down to personal preference.

Yesterday in our local ASDA shop, they were selling 4 disposable masks for £2.80. They also had re-usables at 2 for £3, so they were much better value.

In your shoes, working a 2 or 3 part day (morning and afternoon, or morning, break, lunch, then home), I'd want 2 or 3 washable masks a day. For me, taking it off it would go straight into a ziploc bag for transfer to the washer.

I can knock up a mask in 15-20 minutes, using a sewing machine, which when I made a few in one sitting, came down because I did each stage for all the masks then went onto the next stage, so it got pretty efficient.

I've made masks from project remnants, but when it became clear mask wearing would be more frequent in both our worlds, I bought a few fat quarters in the local sewing shop.

If all of this is for September, you have oodles of time.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
<snip>

That was informative, thank you...
We've got some FFP3 masks which, after use, we carefully quarantine for 3 days or so somewhere warm and dry until they can be reused. That should cause any virus particles to dry out and become non-viable. Saves waste and expense...

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I came across these entrepreneurs a few days ago who are doing amazing masks, they are not cheap but they are superb.
It's called indiegogo leaf masks, with N99+ filters.

Not many would be able to afford the £2500 for these!

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a sewing machine, can you hand sew, or do you have any old t-shirts you can spare?

There are many, many options out there. Why not experiment in the comfort of your home, wearing one to do your housework or whatever?

I haven't tried any of the no-sew options, because I'm happy to sew. I have made a variety of the 3-pleat versions (really, super-easy and very little stitching needed, and the more vaulted version, but to do these "nicely" requires a bit more sewing.

I am quite petite person, and the 3-pleat versions are, in my view, easier to achieve a decent fit, but these things come down to personal preference.

Yesterday in our local ASDA shop, they were selling 4 disposable masks for £2.80. They also had re-usables at 2 for £3, so they were much better value.

In your shoes, working a 2 or 3 part day (morning and afternoon, or morning, break, lunch, then home), I'd want 2 or 3 washable masks a day. For me, taking it off it would go straight into a ziploc bag for transfer to the washer.

I can knock up a mask in 15-20 minutes, using a sewing machine, which when I made a few in one sitting, came down because I did each stage for all the masks then went onto the next stage, so it got pretty efficient.

I've made masks from project remnants, but when it became clear mask wearing would be more frequent in both our worlds, I bought a few fat quarters in the local sewing shop.

If all of this is for September, you have oodles of time.

Just a thought, if you're making masks, you could also make a washable bag for them to go into, everything then goes in the machine, and we don't have extra plastic floating around. Should be reasonably simple to sew(I'm a beginner and could manage that).

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
And lets not forget the poor old whales

The masks you throw away could end up killing a whale'

"As the world battles the coronavirus pandemic, more and more protective equipment is ending up in the sea.
We are putting 129 billion face masks and 65 billion plastic gloves into the environment every month, according to Ocean Conservancy.
Divers and observers are spotting more of this discarded waste floating underwater, causing problems for wildlife and washing up on shorelines all over the world."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/scien...s-you-throw-away-could-end-up-killing-a-whale

That's why a reusable washable one would be better than paper masks.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well like it or not from the 24th you are going to have to wear a mask while in a shop or be liable to a fine and it's about time to.

The mask you wear will help protect others the masks others wear will help protect you what's to debate.

You can get' Steampunk' style material..........:) I've just got some rather natty clock faces..........couldn't help but notice your pic......

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If I had actually got round to making a mask, I would use the plastic covered wire sold for gardening.

Pipe cleaners work reasonably well, just loop the ends and completely enclose pocket ends. Works a treat!

Max68

DCUKMod - The closest I have ever got to sewing was admiring my mum donkeys years ago turning up my school trousers with her wonderful old metal Singer sewing machine! Wonderful looking machine but I wouldn't have a clue, not sure most blokes have!!

Maybe I should go Wild West style with a large handkerchief folded over into a triangle and couple it with a
Stetson and spurs! That would go down well with the kids at school I reckon! ;)

l'll have another look online for the reusables. Good point about having at least three a day as I'll be there from 8 till 4. Think I read somewhere that apart from washing the things you can put them in the microwave to clean them. I might be thinking of something entirely different of course!

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not many would be able to afford the £2500 for these!
Not quite that dear: ($49 USD cheapest)
yk7bsexdf6lzyggsxycr.png

M

Member496333

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but it's not worthy of its own thread so I'll take my chances here.

I haven't yet seen anything specific about this on gov.uk but some news outlets are reporting that government are now offering home-printable exemption cards for those who feel they have a valid reason not to wear a mask and don't want to be publicly castigated for not doing so in shops and the like.

However, according to gov.uk, exemption cards in general are not a legal requirement and you can basically design your own if you wish. There is no mechanism by which you are required to obtain any official stamp of approval for your exemption, and nor do you need one. In my mind that renders the law and any fines pretty much unenforceable, but that's a matter of debate. A debate that I don't fancy having on here. I am sharing the information only.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/government-releases-face-mask-exemption-18658389