Type 2 Urine and Breath Testing-Drug and alcohol

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to know if we have anyone else on here who is a Collections Officer involved with Drug and Alcohol Testing via breath and urine sampling. 1) Does your employer insist that you still carry out testing despite being in a clinically vulnerable group as described by the UK Government? 2) If so, what precautions are being taken? I'm Type 2 insulin dependent, over sixty and being told by my manager that I'm low risk, so should be carrying out these tests. That's not my understanding........

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t answer as I have zero knowledge of these processes but I’m curious. Why would type 2 prevent you from being able to comply with urine and breath samples?

I’d agree as far as covid goes most diabetics are in the middle group ie clinically vulnerable rather than low risk but not automatically extremely vulnerable (those shielded) and a quick look at the .gov pages will confirm this for your manager if that’s relevant. https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...alert-and-safe-social-distancing-after-4-july Point #7.

I would assume (hope) that precautions are being taken for all people being sampled to protect both the collection officer and the sample giver. I could be making wild assumptions of course.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I can’t answer as I have zero knowledge of these processes but I’m curious. Why would type 2 prevent you from being able to comply with urine and breath samples?

I’d agree as far as covid goes most diabetics are in the middle group ie clinically vulnerable rather than low risk but not automatically extremely vulnerable (those shielded) and a quick look at the .gov pages will confirm this for your manager if that’s relevant. https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...alert-and-safe-social-distancing-after-4-july Point #7.

I would assume (hope) that precautions are being taken for all people being sampled to protect both the collection officer and the sample giver. I could be making wild assumptions of course.

Both can carry Covid 19, breath samples particularly so, if they are done forcefully. The problem is that there's a fine line between forcefully and not, plus people tend to try to aim the breathalyser machine towards you, in my experience!
Also, it's recommended that the CO(Collections Officer) holds the machine, which means you are at much less than 2m distance from the subject.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both can carry Covid 19, breath samples particularly so, if they are done forcefully. The problem is that there's a fine line between forcefully and not, plus people tend to try to aim the breathalyser machine towards you, in my experience!
Also, it's recommended that the CO(Collections Officer) holds the machine, which means you are at much less than 2m distance from the subject.
Ahh got it. I thought you were giving samples, not taking them. Should have read your post properly. Presumably masks, gloves and visors etc should be provided as they are for medical procedures in which case?

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh got it. I thought you were giving samples, not taking them. Should have read your post properly. Presumably masks, gloves and visors etc should be provided as they are for medical procedures in which case?

Yes, but aerosol producing procedures, such as the breathalyser may produce are contraindicated at present. Only to be carried out in dire emergency, eg intubation of a patient, CPR etc. No worries, I don't expect everyone to be conversant with the procedure, which also involves a lot of items to-ing a fro-ing between CO and subject, signatures on numerous bits of paper etc, not to mention collection cups etc.