blurry eyes

MAlafi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi guys I have been diagnosed as type 2 diabetes last week, however my eyes start blurry. sometimes I couldn't read the small writing. any advice please

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

It may or may not be related to diabetes. My suggestion is that you get your eyes tested by someone who knows that you have been diagnosed with diabetes.

In relation to diabetes however, my thought is that the best way to approach the possible complications of diabetes is to try to reduce your blood sugar levels. I suggest you get your eyes tested so that you can work out where they are now.

Many people on this site have brought their blood sugar levels under control by dramatically reducing their carbs intake,

Have you been prescribed any medication- that's something we really need to know before Han ding out any suggestions as different medication may change your approach at least at the beginning.

My first suggestion- other than getting your eyes tested is to buy a meter. I don't like testing but testing is the most important thing to help get your blood sugar levels under control. If you test you can work out what effect different foods have on you.

I'm going to tag @JoKalsbeek as she has a wonderful link that provides a great start to learning about diabetes.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi guys I have been diagnosed as type 2 diabetes last week, however my eyes start blurry. sometimes I couldn't read the small writing. any advice please
Hi @MAlafi ,

Have your eyes started getting bluffy since you've been put on medication that lowers blood sugars, by any chance? If that is the case, then they're working. Your eyesight has been distorted by the glucose in your eyeballs and tears, and your brain's been compensating for that. It has to learn not to do that any more. Takes about 2 weeks, so don't run out for new specs unless it's those 5 bob reading glasses to get you through this transition period.

However. If the fuzzy vision started before your diagnosis, there might be a little damage done. It'll pop up in your eye check, which should be done sometime soon, unless Covid-19 throws a wrench in. Even so, a low carb diet could well reverse any potential damage done. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is as good a starting point for that as any.

Good luck!
Jo

MAlafi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome,

It may or may not be related to diabetes. My suggestion is that you get your eyes tested by someone who knows that you have been diagnosed with diabetes.

In relation to diabetes however, my thought is that the best way to approach the possible complications of diabetes is to try to reduce your blood sugar levels. I suggest you get your eyes tested so that you can work out where they are now.

Many people on this site have brought their blood sugar levels under control by dramatically reducing their carbs intake,

Have you been prescribed any medication- that's something we really need to know before Han ding out any suggestions as different medication may change your approach at least at the beginning.

My first suggestion- other than getting your eyes tested is to buy a meter. I don't like testing but testing is the most important thing to help get your blood sugar levels under control. If you test you can work out what effect different foods have on you.

I'm going to tag @JoKalsbeek as she has a wonderful link that provides a great start to learning about diabetes.
thank you very much for your comment. for the medication I have been prescribed Metformin and Gliclazide and I also use a meter to check sugar blood.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz

Just a thought - are you using electronic equipment more during lockdown? Agreed it could be diabetes related but it could be eye strain. Be sure to have time away from your phone etc if that is the case.
PS I need to take my own advice.

Reactions: MAlafi

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that when my blood sugars are higher than usual I do start getting blurred vision, prior to changing my diet in lockdown I could have lunch of high carbs or when really bad cake and within a few hours things were blurrier
May not be what you are having happen to you of course but might be something to consider

Dark Horse

It's quite common for people to get blurred vision soon after they begin treatment for diabetes. It should improve over the next few weeks as blood glucose levels stabilise. If it doesn't improve within 4-6 weeks, see your optician.

ExiledJack

My eyes have been blurry since diagnosis. Had checks for any diabetes related damage and none to be found. I’m just near sighted. Completely unrelated to the diabetes.

shamrock69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
dishonest people
I have diabetic retinopathy,its a progressive condition unless treated.In my case the damage was done in the few years i had undiagnosed type 2
I have had 18 months now of pretty great hba1c readings (between 40-42),but still requires me to have macular injections to treat the swelling behind both my eyes which is slowly reducing pressure and getting rid of the "bluriness" in my eyes.

Long story short..never take your eye health for granted..a simple trip to the opticians or the diabetic nurse can be the difference between good eyesight and blindness.

Reactions: tklee and MohamedAl

MohamedAl

I have diabetic retinopathy,its a progressive condition unless treated.In my case the damage was done in the few years i had undiagnosed type 2
I have had 18 months now of pretty great hba1c readings (between 40-42),but still requires me to have macular injections to treat the swelling behind both my eyes which is slowly reducing pressure and getting rid of the "bluriness" in my eyes.

Long story short..never take your eye health for granted..a simple trip to the opticians or the diabetic nurse can be the difference between good eyesight and blindness.
thanks for advice, in fact I have an appointment 2nd August with opticians. hope things go smooth

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for advice, in fact I have an appointment 2nd August with opticians. hope things go smooth
Your eyesight is blurry due to the alteration in blood glucose levels - do not waste money on glasses as they will most likely be useless in a few weeks when you have adjusted to the different level of glucose.

Reactions: MohamedAl

Dark Horse

Your eyesight is blurry due to the alteration in blood glucose levels - do not waste money on glasses as they will most likely be useless in a few weeks when you have adjusted to the different level of glucose.
The original OP had blurry eyesight, I don't think we know anything about the situation with MohamedAl - perhaps you replied to the wrong person?

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The medical term for the change in eyesight after being diagnosed with diabetes is transient hyperopia. It usually lasts 4-8 weeks (but can be longer) and with a change of sight of about 1.5 dioptres at the peak not being untypical although it can be much higher depending on rapidity of regaining blood sugar control and how high the sugar levels were before diagnosis and subsequent treatment.

A permanent significant change is much rarer, although it isn't unusual for it to settle out a little different from the starting point. In my case I finished slightly less short sighted but slightly more astigmatic.

In the interim buy cheap ready reader glasses to do the necessary connection - you may need more than one strength as things progress.

MohamedAl

you are right, now my eyes are better after one week of taking medicine

MohamedAl

The medical term for the change in eyesight after being diagnosed with diabetes is transient hyperopia. It usually lasts 4-8 weeks (but can be longer) and with a change of sight of about 1.5 dioptres at the peak not being untypical although it can be much higher depending on rapidity of regaining blood sugar control and how high the sugar levels were before diagnosis and subsequent treatment.

A permanent significant change is much rarer, although it isn't unusual for it to settle out a little different from the starting point. In my case I finished slightly less short sighted but slightly more astigmatic.

In the interim buy cheap ready reader glasses to do the necessary connection - you may need more than one strength as things progress.
thanks bro, I have test on 2nd August we will see what happen

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know now if I was replying to the right person - fortunately my ESP seems to have been switched on and my advice seems to have been appropriate.
Having a spot of the psychic is very useful at times, like when I was warned to slow dawn on the corner before the hay bales all over the road and the corner of the trailer pointing straight at me through the windscreen.

richmitch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im having the same issue. Put on metformmin, now 3 a day as my lvls are really high. Also on invokana to make pancreus work harder. Got real fuzzy eyesight but diabetic nurse said not to worry to much as it happens to most people but am also getting checjed by optician next week. Good luck

Reactions: MohamedAl

MohamedAl

Im having the same issue. Put on metformmin, now 3 a day as my lvls are really high. Also on invokana to make pancreus work harder. Got real fuzzy eyesight but diabetic nurse said not to worry to much as it happens to most people but am also getting checjed by optician next week. Good luck
thanks my eye check is next week as well

MAlafi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes that's right. I had my check last Sunday and everything is ok now