Diabetes sucks!

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Firstly I would like to apologise for my negative attitude. I'm usually a positive person, but I'm feeling very fed-up with having diabetes today! :(

I think because I have been struggling with getting to grips with my insulin pump that it has highlighted to me what a **** (sorry!) disease diabetes is!

I keep experiencing problems with my insulin pump in terms of occlusions, air bubbles etc. I always thought that the main challenges surrounding starting pump therapy would be getting used to wearing a device 24/7 and working out insulin ratios, but actually the mechanics seem to be the major problem for me! I don't know why I can't seem to do this and yet so many people out there seem to be getting on so well with pump therapy?! :? Since being on the pump my blood sugar control has actually got much worse, and due to air bubbles (that the pump does not detect as an occlusion), I ended up with a very dangerous sugar level of 29.5!!!!! :!: I have NEVER had such high levels on injection therapy! I already have complications and am really worried that this poor control will be damaging me further... :shock:

I think all this has highlighted to me what a pain having diabetes can be!

I know that there are much worse illnesses out there and terrible things going on in the world, but I think sometimes, just taking a while to feel a bit sorry for yourself is allowed!

I just can't imagine what it would be like to be able to eat without a care in the world; exercise, be more energetic etc. without worrying about low sugars. Even things like being ill, having flu jabs etc- people without diabetes just feel a bit rough without having the added worry about high sugars and ketones! Even when I started taking the pill (microgynon) it sent my sugars sky high!

Sorry about this, I think I just needed a bit of a rant! I'm sure I will feel a bit less negative soon...

sicko666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Textbook medical profesionals! Narrow minded people.
Lol rant away Marmite-lover !!!!!!!!!!!
I HATE the ****** disease most of the time, and why on earth does it affect EVERY part of your body,most other diseases affect only the part its a disease of but diabetes, no! Dam greedy disease!!!!
Lol, no seriously though, i think i can speak for most when i say it gets most people down at times, lol, me its at injection times but thats because i am a "big girls blouse" lol.....

I am not on a pump so i am not certain about these things, but surly it sounds like theres some sort of problem if it lets air into the system or that it dosent detect air in it isnt there? Does someone here thats on a pump know about these things and could help?...

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Thanks sicko(!) I think it really helps to vent these things to people who understand! xxx

bumbleharvey

Im with you! sometimes I feel like screaming. To the outside world Im jolly & bubbly most of the time but right now I feel like tearing my hair out. I don't know about you but Im just sick of the constant battle. Ive got to an age where im starting to panic about complications after having diabetes for so many years & its freaking me out. I am just so so glad that I have found this forum to vent, get advice & accept yeah I get down but I gotta stay on top of this, its not gonna win. Its ok to be down, I havent stopped cryin since Friday after finding out I now also need laser on my left eye after having it on my right eye. Now im trying to focus on one thing at a time & be positive. I know it can be hard & difficult at times. i am crying as I type this after reading your post because I completely get you and what you are feeling.

Try & find the positives in your life & focus on those. For me its an event/holiday to look forward to, a class down the gym where I can vent my frustrations, or even once in awhile i,ll treat my self to a pampering session.

I hope by the time you read this your feeling abit more positive & uve managed to sort your pump situation out & remember your not alone :)

josie38

Hi marmite-lover

Am slightly concerned as this isn't like you. I know you was feeling pretty good about getting your pump but i think the first few weeks on it are a bit stressful and i can totally understand where you are coming from hun x

When you read this hope you are halfway back to being a bit more positive if not so what s*** happens :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would also like to say that it is a **** disease that i absolutely hate :) :) :) :)

Rant away anytime you feel like it........we always listen and understand where you are coming from hun 8) 8) 8) 8)

Big hugs xxxxxxxx

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Hi bumbleharvey!

I'm really sorry to hear that you have been having a rough time :(

Like you, I am usually very positive and try to get on with things, but we all have our down times and I think it's ok to allow yourself to get a bit angry and fed up and a good cry can actually be very healthy!

Of course t's equally important to be able to pick yourself up from these times- none of us asked to be dealt the blow of being diagnosed diabetic, but we just need to try our best to live a full and as healthy a life as we can and also get support from the diabetic services available.

I have bounced back after a couple of days feeling sorry for myself, so thank you Josie for your kind words and concern. This forum is so brilliant for advice, the occasional rant and sympathy!

Yesterday I went along to a 'pump catch-up' session at Bournemouth Diabetes Centre, so I met up with the people who had started on their pumps at the same time as me. It was very useful and reassuring to all have a chat about how we'd been getting on and made me feel much less isolated and alone about my situation- very much like this forum does!! :)

I really hope that your next laser session goes well bumbleharvey. I have had a fair bit of laser already so I completely understand how disappointing and frightening it can be to find out that you need more when you get your eyes checked :( . But equally it is good that you are having your eyes looked at and hopefully they will offer you regular check ups to make sure that everything stays stable.

Thanks as always everyone for your support :D

xxx

gollymax

Dislikes
frogs, snakes, snails, football, rugby, diabetes and all the problems that go with it
Marmite-lover said:
Firstly I would like to apologise for my negative attitude. I'm usually a positive person, but I'm feeling very fed-up with having diabetes today! :(

I think because I have been struggling with getting to grips with my insulin pump that it has highlighted to me what a **** (sorry!) disease diabetes is!

I keep experiencing problems with my insulin pump in terms of occlusions, air bubbles etc. I always thought that the main challenges surrounding starting pump therapy would be getting used to wearing a device 24/7 and working out insulin ratios, but actually the mechanics seem to be the major problem for me! I don't know why I can't seem to do this and yet so many people out there seem to be getting on so well with pump therapy?! :? Since being on the pump my blood sugar control has actually got much worse, and due to air bubbles (that the pump does not detect as an occlusion), I ended up with a very dangerous sugar level of 29.5!!!!! :!: I have NEVER had such high levels on injection therapy! I already have complications and am really worried that this poor control will be damaging me further... :shock:

I think all this has highlighted to me what a pain having diabetes can be!

I know that there are much worse illnesses out there and terrible things going on in the world, but I think sometimes, just taking a while to feel a bit sorry for yourself is allowed!

I just can't imagine what it would be like to be able to eat without a care in the world; exercise, be more energetic etc. without worrying about low sugars. Even things like being ill, having flu jabs etc- people without diabetes just feel a bit rough without having the added worry about high sugars and ketones! Even when I started taking the pill (microgynon) it sent my sugars sky high!

Sorry about this, I think I just needed a bit of a rant! I'm sure I will feel a bit less negative soon...

Hi Marmite-lover
I just read your info about the pump :? I have had type 1 diabetes for 50 years now and yes a bit like you, I get sick and tired of it and very depressed, the routine never changes does it. :cry:
This is how the day starts Blood test, do I need another Y/N, I usually test my blood 10+ times aday and inject insulin up to 10 times per day, I have had lots of problems due to the diabetes, Stroke, trigger finger(s) operation, carpel tunnel syndrome both hand, eye problems, abcesses and loads more. I lived in a diabetic hostel from the age of 8-13 years and I felt as if I was in prision, no love from my parents and felt very neglected as a child just because I had this dreaded complaint.
Anyway I now I am going on a bit but reading you info makes me and many of us understand.
I am just about to go onto a ACCU-CHECK COMBO Insulin PUMP and I just hope I don,t have too many problems, I am looking forward to it but time will tell if I have done the right thing or not. :?
It would be nice to stay in touch and hope you feel a little less angry about the diabetes
Kev :)

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Hi Kev!

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had such a rough time with diabetes :( I've never even heard of 'diabetic hostels' :shock: but that all sound like a miserable experience for you.

It's really good though that you have kept going all these years and I really hope that you have success when you get hooked up to your pump :D

I have had a lot of problems with my pump, but I would like to highlight that I am a bit of a complex case (autoimmune pancreatic insufficiensy as well as the diabetes etc.) so I don't want to worry anyone about starting on a pump, I think I've just been a bit unlucky! When we had a pump catch-up it was early days, so there were mixed reviews, but some people were already reaping the benefits of pumping :)

So good luck with it all Kev, and I really hope it is a step in the right direction for your diabetes management :)

gollymax

Dislikes
frogs, snakes, snails, football, rugby, diabetes and all the problems that go with it
Hi Marmite-lover

thanks for your reply, I got my pump on the 1st November 2011 to my home address, but have not had it setup yet.
Yes 50 years is a long time and I have had a few problems caused by the diabetes, Stroke, 2 stents put into my conoary artery, carpel tunnel syndrome, trigger fingers and lots more, the worst is Restless leg syndrome.
It drives me mad and I do have tablets for it, they sometimes help.
Anyway I wont go on about it, if you look at www.palingswickhouse.co.uk at look for Kevin Baum you can see the diabetic hostel I lived in and a bit of a story about me.
i am looking forward to having the pump setup, if you are interested I will let you know how it is going
Kev xx
PS I love Marmite and my father used to work in the marmite factory/ make it, in Vauxhall London many years ago

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Hi Kev

I really hope the pump set-up goes well :D

It would be great to hear how you get on, plus I find sharing experiences and tips can be very useful! I'll have to look at that diabetes hostel..!

Ah I wouldn't be allowed to work in a marmite factory because I'd eat it all :lol:!

All the best

xxx