Type 1'stars R Us

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It rained. I got wet. I didn't walk far enough for my blood sugars to co-operate in a downwards direction without extra insulin.

Still, some walk is better than no walk. The blackberries I've just had for afters, which I managed to get before the rain started, were yummy.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It rained. I got wet. I didn't walk far enough for my blood sugars to co-operate in a downwards direction without extra insulin.

Still, some walk is better than no walk. The blackberries I've just had for afters, which I managed to get before the rain started, were yummy.

We walked too. Our usual 4 miler, started off a bit high but decided to see if the exercise would help. 5 minutes from home it poured down. 2 drowned rats and a blood level of 15!!! Well that went well. Not!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@becca59 - I shall assume getting soaking wet is one of those things guaranteed to raise blood sugars and add it to the infinite list of variables no-one ever tells us about!!

Reactions: MrsA2 and becca59

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, earlier than I want to be, didn't sleep well and got up in the end, no idea why sleeping was so difficult.

Looks as if yesterday was the day to get soaked if you were walking. I set out with my dog in lightweight trousers, a thigh-length raincoat and short wellies. 5 minutes out and we had the heaviest rain I've seen in a long while - genuine stair-rods, straight down. We carried on under some trees for another five minutes by which time my dog was looking miserable and soaked, my trousers were wet from ankle to the tops of my thighs as the rain was so heavy it just either rain down my trousers into my boots or got wicked up, and the seams on my waterproof coat were letting water in! My dog turned for home before I did. Much brighter day expected today, though I don't resent the rain, badly needed here.

Have a good Sunday whatever you're doing.

Reactions: karen8967 and kev-w

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Parents been and gone. First stay over since lockdown. Housework and gardening up to date. Steak defrosting for lunch. Operation start on emptying the final bedroom for decorating. So pleased with the one we completed a couple of weeks ago it is spurring us on. Even if it is in a state and looks daunting! Sugars behaving. Have a good Sunday all.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good afternoon, or it would be if I didn't have a caulking gun in my hand :p I've done a classic earlier, I put a board down on the new floor to put a step on to reach the top of the tiles over the bath, but stood on tiptoe I managed to have the board slide back and whack me on the bath as it kicked out, sore ribcage aside I'm ok but won't be using the step on it.

Bloods were up at 10 waking, but I did fill my face with Indian food last night so it could have been worse :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
We are going to be hit by a hurricane, we are in a safe area so we should be okay, our hurricane shutters are up and we are 3 miles upwards from the shore.

But I believe we will be losing our power, maybe for up to 2 weeks. We lose our power even in slight winds, no less hurricane winds. So I might disappear for a little bit!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope you are ok, and everyone is safe. How frightening for you. Take care and hope the hurricane isn't as bad as expected. Hope your power isn't down for long, if it goes off. Sending hugs xx

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Hopeful34

So far we are getting lucky it is keeping to a north west pattern and is just missing directly hitting the islands. Hopefully it keeps at it and no weird turns and all the islands will escape anything really severe! What a difference than everyone expected this morning when they announced it had gained strength and was aimed straight for us. Crossing my fingers!

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone
FB_IMG_1583825846307.jpg

Reactions: kev-w and hh1

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We are going to be hit by a hurricane, we are in a safe area so we should be okay, our hurricane shutters are up and we are 3 miles upwards from the shore.

But I believe we will be losing our power, maybe for up to 2 weeks. We lose our power even in slight winds, no less hurricane winds. So I might disappear for a little bit!
Big hugs marie 2 x

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, the much-needed rain seems to have set in here. Some gaps yesterday but neither the dog nor I is looking forward to venturing out this morning.

@kev-w hope the ribs are okay today; so easy to have accidents doing stuff like this. I used to be slightly sceptical of Rospa's warning that most accidents happen in the home; not any more! My worst injuries have all been at home, and often from not doing very much....

@Marie 2 hope all the hurricanes miss you!

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967 and kev-w

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
So far so good, after looking like it turned westward towards us again it is now moving slow but taking little hops northwest, so it looks like it won't hit us straight on. It still could clip the north shore, but it has a chance of going completely north of us. Looks very promising! Sigh, it's a hurricane though and has a mind of it's own so until it actually goes past us we won't be completely clear. Wait and see, wait and see....................

Reactions: kev-w and porl69

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If losing power happens fairly regularly, do you not have a gene? I know when we were overseas, in the hurricane belt, our generators were regularly serviced.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily help with telephone and internet infrastructures (and the rest!), but at least it usually means the fridges and freezers can keep going, and if necessary, pumps can be deployed at the right times.

One of the big benefits of having sold up, is, whilst we do still track "the season" every day, we no longer had skin in the game.

We were hit badly, twice, in different locations, and sustained significant damage - the first much worse than the latter. Itt's horrid.

I feel for you. The underlying stress isn't fun, and the peak stresses are dire. Fingers crossed for you.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Yippee! It kept jutting northwest after a brief turn west, It is missing us, we will get some of the edges of rains and we have a little wind kick up!!! But it is virtually passing us!!!

@hh1, not pathetic, we have a canopy covering the area right out the back door for a dog that will absolutely not get wet lol. She will not go outside even if it is just misting! We had to take it down, but it will go right back up first thing tomorrow!

We are pretty much in a safe area, When we moved here I purposely would not move on a beach, across from a beach, on a cliff or on flat land area where it would flood from rivers or the ocean. You just can't completely tell what would happen when a hurricane is around. It's only the weird ones that manage to hit, only 3 ever have because they don't survive the trip here. It is actually strengthening as it goes by us, which is really really strange.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yippee! It kept jutting northwest after a brief turn west, It is missing us, we will get some of the edges of rains and we have a little wind kick up!!! But it is virtually passing us!!!

@hh1, not pathetic, we have a canopy covering the area right out the back door for a dog that will absolutely not get wet lol. She will not go outside even if it is just misting! We had to take it down, but it will go right back up first thing tomorrow!

We are pretty much in a safe area, When we moved here I purposely would not move on a beach, across from a beach, on a cliff or on flat land area where it would flood from rivers or the ocean. You just can't completely tell what would happen when a hurricane is around. It's only the weird ones that manage to hit, only 3 ever have because they don't survive the trip here. It is actually strengthening as it goes by us, which is really really strange.
So glad it's passing you Marie, that's excellent news!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@DCUKMod We keep talking about getting a generator, we have a huge propane tank that is only for the stove. We just haven’t liked where we would have to put it. We are eyeing a simpler one run by rechargeable batteries and they are working on them being rechargeable by solar, so we have taken to dragging our feet about it.

We lose power in different spots all over the island easy, although rarely the whole island at the same time but that has happened too. In fact lol we have lost all ways to communicate too. The cable in the ocean is older that supports most communication and the newer smaller one can’t handle the load when the other needs repairing. We lost power at the same time once. All the bigger stores had to close, some smaller ones that had window light took cash only. And the coconut wireless was really busy with trying to find out what was going on!

This island only went wireless WiFi 3 years ago!

Last edited:
Reactions: kev-w and porl69