Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

lindisfel

Expert
Grant Shapps is obviously a man who is straight up.
He was told Spain would be a place that required quarantine on coming home. He felt he could not use priveleged information and chose to go with his family.

Now he will have time to do the decorating when he comes home.

I wonder if there is another bolt hole for those not wishing to get into quarantine when coming home? :)

It will be sad if some lose their jobs over not being able to go to work in the next two weeks.
D.

Last edited:
Reactions: NicoleC1971

Tannith

BANNED
I can empathise with your situation. I agree, there’s many factors depending on each individuals circumstances. Age, Gender ethnicity, type, Location & other health conditions etc... when people remark that there are low rates of infection and death rates for those of working age even with diabetes, they are not fully understanding each person circumstances and the factors surrounding them.

1 in 4 who have died in hospital in England following a diagnosis of covid 19 also had diabetes, this was 1 In 3 people in bame group. further stats can be found on public health England’s and diabetes U.K. website.

I forgot to mention a few days before I was meant to return to work there was an outbreak in my work place, they failed to tell me and are keeping it very quite &top secret, as a matter of fact people have been Felt intimidated, as they’ve been told not to talk about it! If I can help you, or get some sound advice which will help your situation, I’ll let you know x

"I forgot to mention a few days before I was meant to return to work there was an outbreak in my work place, they failed to tell me and are keeping it very quite &top secret, as a matter of fact people have been Felt intimidated, as they’ve been told not to talk about it! "

"The watchdog added: "To release information, even at provider level, could have significant impact on the ability of the provider, and consequently their services, to function commercially in already challenging economic circumstances.

"Releasing information at this level would also likely impact on their ability to engage new staff and/or attract new residents."

The government said data needed to be accurate and published in a way that protected people's right to confidentiality."
It would seem that the Govt actually supports secrecy re covid infections and deaths in care homes. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-53502590

Reactions: Themis789 and JRT

JRT

"I forgot to mention a few days before I was meant to return to work there was an outbreak in my work place, they failed to tell me and are keeping it very quite &top secret, as a matter of fact people have been Felt intimidated, as they’ve been told not to talk about it! "

"The watchdog added: "To release information, even at provider level, could have significant impact on the ability of the provider, and consequently their services, to function commercially in already challenging economic circumstances.

"Releasing information at this level would also likely impact on their ability to engage new staff and/or attract new residents."

The government said data needed to be accurate and published in a way that protected people's right to confidentiality."
It would seem that the Govt actually supports secrecy re covid infections and deaths in care homes. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-53502590
Horrific and so frustrating and probably worse in England.

Reactions: Themis789

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
About 36 nurses at QMC Nottingham have filed a group grievance after being intimidated and threatened with punishment if they spoke about lack of PE on their wards.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
About 36 nurses at QMC Nottingham have filed a group grievance after being intimidated and threatened with punishment if they spoke about lack of PE on their wards.
Is it management that are doing this, John?
Why are they getting the big stick out for genuine staff concerns. Does this come of emasculating the unions? I am pleased I am not working as a wage slave?
D.

Reactions: JRT

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you missed my point, but that’s because I wasn’t totally clear, sorry! That Was the message, this now is changing that people who can work from the office should do. Following the realisation that people like working from home and that that means less foot traffic in the high streets, there is a change to get people back in the office

I think they are not reading public opinion very well! Personally, even though I am being strongly requested back to work, I have zero intention of buying from the high street. I doubt I am alone
Modern offices these days are open plan, air conditioned and based on desk sharing with little room between them. I am currently working from home and will likely be doing so for the foreseeable future as the building that I work in can only, within govt guidelines, safely have between 20 - 30% occupancy.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Modern offices these days are open plan, air conditioned and based on desk sharing with little room between them. I am currently working from home and will likely be doing so for the foreseeable future as the building that I work in can only, within govt guidelines, safely have between 20 - 30% occupancy.
Mine is 50% so shift patterns. I’m more worried about communal areas.
I wouldn’t put it past this government for change the rules to up occupancy. I saw they are already telling civil servants to come back

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/economy...middle-class-workers-are-working-home-full-ti
Around a quarter of British workers are still unable to work from home at all
Unfortunately there are some jobs that cannot be done from home - my husband is a self employed gardener and farm worker and, despite various health issues, has worked through the majority of lockdown having only had 5 weeks off. However as a civil servant I have been working from home since March - modern IT systems has allowed me to do so. It must be said though that a great number of those who are not able to work from home were furloughed so whilst people like my BIL and SIL both spent 14 weeks not working on 80% pay I have been working hard.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine is 50% so shift patterns. I’m more worried about communal areas.
I wouldn’t put it past this government for change the rules to up occupancy. I saw they are already telling civil servants to come back
I’m a civil servant and have been told to still work from home.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
both spent 14 weeks not working on 80% pay I have been working hard.
And many like my oh have had neither. No work, no pay and no bailouts. Times are hard for those that fell through the gaps.

Last edited:

Tannith

BANNED
https://www.shropshirestar.com/news...le-in-england-on-shielding-list-for-covid-19/
One in 25 people in England on shielding list for Covid-19
UK News | Published: May 21, 2020

The North East has the highest number of patients on the shielded list, with 391,980, while the South West has the lowest with 217,025.

Of the people on the list identified by NHS Digital, 1,172,799 are female and 1,041,099 are male.

Some 92,633 are under the age of 18, while 1,169,220 are aged from 18 to 69.

A further 952,027 people are aged 70 and over.

The North East has the highest number of patients on the shielded list, with 391,980, while the South West has the lowest with 217,025.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter is a Work Coach in the DSS and has been at home since the beginning. Last week those still working in the office were sent an email asking if they would be prepared to work from home. The reason being the department is currently recruiting thousands more Work Coaches to deal with the anticipated huge rise in unemployment, training them up and posting them to offices round the country in batches. The first lot are due to start in October. These new recruits will be working in the offices and clearly room is needed for them, hence the need to encourage existing staff to work from home.

Reactions: Themis789

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve have a phone consult with OH. The company believes it is managing the risk properly and so no reason not to come back into work for a couple days a week

I’m nervous, will be avoiding the canteen and the kitchen. But can’t stay away forever

managed blood levels and weight loss I hope will help

Themis789

Brilliant news and thankyou for sharing. I really hope it goes well
Some more info from an ex colleague who worked in the equalities dept for a local authority. Under sect 20 of equalities act 2010(I have to check, as she’s not sure) anyone with disability has right to ask for adjustments to be made to the sickness policy and adjustments in leave (taking time off for medical appt etc)

Themis789

My daughter is a Work Coach in the DSS and has been at home since the beginning. Last week those still working in the office were sent an email asking if they would be prepared to work from home. The reason being the department is currently recruiting thousands more Work Coaches to deal with the anticipated huge rise in unemployment, training them up and posting them to offices round the country in batches. The first lot are due to start in October. These new recruits will be working in the offices and clearly room is needed for them, hence the need to encourage existing staff to work from home.
I havnt see the jobs advertised on the civil service website. Does she know if they’re still looking?

Themis789

I think I came across something on hse or ph website about confidentially data is not applied during covid ?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Small children.. increased contact reduces COVID severity?

Interesting although not conclusive..

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.20.20157149v1.full.pdf
Thanks
Useful although impossible to prove given the very low levels of testing in children.
The teaching unions are asking that pupils wear masks in secondary schools next term despite the lack of any evidence that kids pass infection to each other or to adults.
But there again nothing about this seems to be based on rational evidence or even any discussion of the risks (physical and psychological) to young people of wearing a sweaty bit of cloth all day versus the actual benefits of doing so.
UsforThem is a great campaign championing our children's right to a normal education which they've been denied for 6 months for NO good reason.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I havnt see the jobs advertised on the civil service website. Does she know if they’re still looking?

As far as I know they are still recruiting. They are doubling the number of Work Coaches in the Job Centres. The department is the DWP. It was only announced at the beginning of July, so I imagine they are still recruiting.