Manic libre user

David F

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
Just wanted to hear thoughts on my way of dealing with my sugars .
My hba1c results have been between 38 and 41 for years . I have been on nova rapid and lantus for 17 years now .
I find that as long as I keep an eye on my sugars and react when they go high by having some insulin this works .
I believe as long as you don’t let your sugars stay high you get better hba1c results .
My sugars can occasionally get to the early teens but I make sure this is only a spike and does not stay there for long .
I get them back down quickly .
I probably use my libre 30 to 40 times a day but my last hba1c was 38 .
Just wondered what people’s thoughts were .

Reactions: ianpspurs

David F

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you scan that often, you may benefit by "pimping" your Libre with something like a Miaomiao or Bubble.
These convert the NFC signal from Libre to Bluetooth which sends the reading direct to an app on your phone.
You no longer need to risk RSI from all that scanning and you can set up the app to alert when your blood sugar gets too high or low.
There is a one-off cost of around £100 but once you have your attachment, you can recharge it and use it again and again and again.

For those who know how to make corrections with their insulin, I think it is great ... but needs to be treated with care as it is easy to over react and end up too low. I have seen that referred to as "rage bolusing".
Sounds like you are doing well.
Sorry you are quite right , I have been doing this for some time and you are correct to point out that this comes with experience and people should be careful .
Thanks for the advice I will look at these devices .

Reactions: In Response

David F

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like how I do it. Works well for me too.
I think the point I am trying to make is that the damage is done when sugar levels are high for longer periods of time .
I suppose this is why the freestyle libre and other similar devices are so useful. They enable you to check sugar levels more frequently and keep tighter control . So much easier than pricking your finger all the time .
I am also aware not everyone can afford such expensive items and the NHS are not giving many type 2 patients libre’s .

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also aware not everyone can afford such expensive items and the NHS are not giving many type 2 patients libre’s .
I hadn't even noticed the T2 part. I think it's a shame it's almost impossible as a T2 to get things like the Libre funded.
In your case it's even more ridiculous, as you've basically had the same treatment as a T1 for the last 17 years.
Are you very sure you are a T2? Not asking because I doubt you, but if there is a small chance you were misdiagnosed getting the diagnosis changed could improve your chances of getting the libre funded.

I was a T2 on my records for a couple of years. The main reason I wanted a referral to an endo to see if I was T1 was because I figured I had a better chance of not having to buy my Libres myself anymore.
In the end it turned out the re-diagnosis wasn't necessary to get funding, as our government decided all diabetics on MDI or pump were eligible for the Libre, regardless of diabetes type.

Let's hope the same will happen in your country!

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I believe the current common parlance for this is TIR - Time In Range - 80% is good.
I seem to recall Diabetes Daily website running an article recently.

Edit: This has nice graphics too …

https://diatribe.org/time-range

Last edited:

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought I scanned a lot but you put me in the shade!

There's a book called Sugar Surfing, that although I haven't read it :( my DSN suggested it's theory and it is what you appear to do: Check a lot and adjust accordingly to (massively) paraphrase.

I do this to a certain extent, but find ascertaining IOB to be the most difficult so as not to over compensate.

I use the Libre app to scan, then transpose the BG into mySugr which I use to 'calculate' bolus. It does assume a simple (easy for me to say) insulin active period and calculates accordingly. It certainly usually stop my trigger fingers over injecting, but not always, then you get into the yo-yo thing.

With this level of scanning (30-40/day) how do you manage the adjustment calculation?

Thanks
Barry