Advice from British Nutrition Foundation :-(

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose people dislike the fact that it says 'people with diabetes', and not 'people with type 1 diabetes only'. It's rather like saying 'people with diabetes don't need artificial insulin; they can control their condition with diet and lifestyle changes'- that's very good advice for most, but extremely bad advice for others.

As a means of prevention it remains very good advice.

But you make a very good point in why naming 'type' matters.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As it's aimed at those with who already have diabetes it's not concerned with prevention but dealing with diabetes through diet.

And as such I think it is bad advice.

Some people with T1 feel they benefit from a lower carb diet and T2's would in the majority of cases definitely not benefit from following such dietary guidelines.

But I do think lumping us all together as diabetics without regard to the differing requirements of those people with differing types of diabetes is a bad idea also.

Reactions: Geordie_P

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The current effort is anti obesity or more accurately being seen to do something about obesity without actually hurting the revenues of processed food manufacturers e.g. kill off tv ads for junk foods but given Mayor Khans's attempt to do this on TFL this proved to be difficult to define e.g. strawberries and cream were an example of high fat foods (I am sure those manufacturers will find ways to amp up their message in bus stops, social media, in print) and get people out on bikes.
This isn't a bad idea because being sedentary is a risk in itself however it will NOT cause weight loss.
More disturbingly restaurants will be asked to display calorie counts for their dishes with the likely consequence that those dishes will be made with more sugar and less fat. That gem of an idea was put forward by Diabetes UK (funded by Britvic and Tesco).
All of those ideas are based on the flawed science of Calories In, Calories Out and that diabetes is caused by obesity and not the other way around.
So I think its not about high carb/low carb but about low quality carb vs. high quality whole foods that we should eat in varying proportions according to our own metabolic needs.

Reactions: JRT

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Of course the thread is about the advice of the BNF specifically regarding those with diabetes and has nothing to do with the current effort against obesity because of it's effects with respect to Covid 19 as it predates the virus by quite some time.

And as carbohydrates are not necessary for health or well being it seems a bit of a waste of time to argue good carb or bad carb.

If some one wants to eat carbs it's a personal choice as to taste as long as they don't fool themselves into thinking it's a matter of health and not just I want to eat carbohydrates so I will which bye the way I think is a perfectly valid choice.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The advice is poor if your blood glucose monitor says so, your trigs are a disaster, homa-ir is out, you have low hdl, high hr-crp, poor lean mass etc.

On the other hand it is great advice, if your "head" makes the food choices and contradicts what your bodily science wants / says. As ever it is a freedom of choice issue which normally works well for modern foods.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As it's aimed at those with who already have diabetes it's not concerned with prevention but dealing with diabetes through diet.

And as such I think it is bad advice.

Some people with T1 feel they benefit from a lower carb diet and T2's would in the majority of cases definitely not benefit from following such dietary guidelines.

But I do think lumping us all together as diabetics without regard to the differing requirements of those people with differing types of diabetes is a bad idea also.

I agree, I often read articles about diabetes and they chop and change the type they are talking about from paragraph to paragraph. For those that are not necessarily aware of how the types differ and potential treatments for both (not to mention yet more types) it must be very confusing and potentially dangerous.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Max68

I'm Type 2 and that advice from the British Nutrition Foundation is pretty much to the letter what my GP said to me this morning whilst discussing my latest blood results. I thought I had eaten far too much fruit last 6 months, especially black and red grapes and my penchant for all types of potatoes was also a failing of mine, so I thought, but at the same time I cut right back on bread, rice, pasta, pizzas and pastries to the extent that I've had no pastry, cake or pizza for 6 months, not that I ate a lot of those anyway. Instead bacon, eggs and sausages and other types of meat with salads have become more frequent and always strawberries for dessert. So in a nutshell June 2019 to December 2020 when I was eating more carbs than fat my HBA1c jumped from 48 - 58. Between December 2019 and July 2020 when I have eaten more fat, less carbs, bar the fruit and potatoes, my HBA1c has dropped from 58 - 51. However my cholesterol has jumped from 3.5 to 5.6. Triglycerides from 2.6 to 6.7. HDL the same at 0.8 and I think she said my bad cholesterol was either late 2's or early 3's. So basically she said the higher fat intake increased the lipids but she was happy with the drop in HBA1c. Incidentally I assumed the jump in lipids was down to the fact that it wasn't a fasting test, however the GP said they now don't do fasting tests for lipids so all can be done at the same time! I'm now confused on what to do!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Reactions: JRT

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Incidentally I assumed the jump in lipids was down to the fact that it wasn't a fasting test, however the GP said they now don't do fasting tests for lipids so all can be done at the same time! I'm now confused on what to do!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Seeing as what you’ve eaten can effect the lipids how can they compare one reading to the other unless conditions are the same?

Non fasting is because fewer people no show appointments or turn up to fasted ones unfasted therefore get turned away. Both situations wasting appointments.

also have you been actively losing weight in this last 6 months. This will temporarily raise lipids (not bgl as I previously said. Oops ) too no matter what method you use.

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I'm Type 2 and that advice from the British Nutrition Foundation is pretty much to the letter what my GP said to me this morning whilst discussing my latest blood results. I thought I had eaten far too much fruit last 6 months, especially black and red grapes and my penchant for all types of potatoes was also a failing of mine, so I thought, but at the same time I cut right back on bread, rice, pasta, pizzas and pastries to the extent that I've had no pastry, cake or pizza for 6 months, not that I ate a lot of those anyway. Instead bacon, eggs and sausages and other types of meat with salads have become more frequent and always strawberries for dessert. So in a nutshell June 2019 to December 2020 when I was eating more carbs than fat my HBA1c jumped from 48 - 58. Between December 2019 and July 2020 when I have eaten more fat, less carbs, bar the fruit and potatoes, my HBA1c has dropped from 58 - 51. However my cholesterol has jumped from 3.5 to 5.6. Triglycerides from 2.6 to 6.7. HDL the same at 0.8 and I think she said my bad cholesterol was either late 2's or early 3's. So basically she said the higher fat intake increased the lipids but she was happy with the drop in HBA1c. Incidentally I assumed the jump in lipids was down to the fact that it wasn't a fasting test, however the GP said they now don't do fasting tests for lipids so all can be done at the same time! I'm now confused on what to do!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Had my HbA1c, Cholestorol and Kidney tests. Due to covid it was a different nurse to my usual of the last 4 years or so. Anyway she said I had good veins (for the blood draw) and said I had done well to reverse the diabetes. I sometimes call my eating method meat and 2 veg to keep it simple, she said yes cutting out the fast foods are good. I said I don't do any of the breakfast bars (she said she sometimes does). I kid you not she said yes you'd br better off with a banana :banghead:.

Max68

Then the test is meaningless. And pointless doing.

Absolutely agree.

Seeing as what you’ve eaten can effect the lipids how can they compare one reading to the other unless conditions are the same?

Non fasting is because fewer people no show appointments or turn up to fasted ones unfasted therefore get turned away. Both situations wasting appointments.

also have you been actively losing weight in this last 6 months. This will temporarily raise bgl too no matter what method you use.

Once again absolutely agree. For instance I know for certain I ate late the night before as I arrived home late. All previous lipids tests over the years were nothing to eat or drink bar water after 9. Last year it was after 8pm the night before. So clearly readings will be different so as you say you can't compare.

Yep probably lost a bit of weight with all the walking. Was 13 stone last December and just under 12.5 now.