Libre issues

Foxglove11

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice on libre sensors and how to keep them on. I've just started using libre last week but within 4 days the sensor had started to come away from the backing adhesive sheet.

I am slim with a small arm and don't have a lot of flat surface to my arm on the recommended area for placement. It looks like the sensor has peeled away because it has a tiny edge on a slightly more raised area of arm.

I have read some posts here about covering it but I wasn't sure if you could use adhesive covers over the full sensor? Also preferably something that's doesn't try to rip your skin off when removing ‍

I bought a plastic ring which goes around the sensor you can tape in but didn't find it much use.

Ive also looked at the strap housings, has anyone had any esperience of what they are like?

I'm not crazy active but I use my upper body a lot in my job holding and lifting animals and I'm a bit worried having it more on the outside of my arm it might come off. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Foxglove11 ,

What can I say? I normally attach a sensor after a shower. I exfoliate the area during the bathing process.
Dry then clean the area with the alcahol wipe thing that comes with the Abbott kit.
Then dry thoroughly with my wife's hair dryer. In the winter I warm the atea up & the primed sensor a little with the hairdryer too.
(I'm used to working with "3M tape" in automotive use?)
I also place the sensor inside the arm. This may cause issue for you with the placement if cradling animals?

I do use an aftermarket armband to fix the CGM set up Miaomiao transmitter in place. To date I've not lost a Libre prematurely & found since using the armband holder thing, no "tide mark" on the perimeter of the Libre when removed..

Lol, reading back my fortnightly routine with the Libre. Sounds like a faff..? Not realy. ;)

Hope this helps a bit.!

Reactions: Foxglove11

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I bought Tegaderm Transparent Film Dressing which covers the sensor completely works reasonably well I also have an arm band I don't tend to use that so much.

And yes you can use adhesive covers over the complete sensor if you wish.

Foxglove11

Hi @Foxglove11 ,

What can I say? I normally attach a sensor after a shower. I exfoliate the area during the bathing process.
Dry then clean the area with the alcahol wipe thing that comes with the Abbott kit.
Then dry thoroughly with my wife's hair dryer. In the winter I warm the atea up & the primed sensor a little with the hairdryer too.
(I'm used to working with "3M tape" in automotive use?)
I also place the sensor inside the arm. This may cause issue for you with the placement if cradling animals?

I do use an aftermarket armband to fix the CGM set up Miaomiao transmitter in place. To date I've not lost a Libre prematurely & found since using the armband holder thing, no "tide mark" on the perimeter of the Libre when removed..

Lol, reading back my fortnightly routine with the Libre. Sounds like a faff..? Not realy. ;)

Hope this helps a bit.!

Thanks for this. I think that wee trick for winter aplication will be helpful

Foxglove11

I bought Tegaderm Transparent Film Dressing which covers the sensor completely works reasonably well I also have an arm band I don't tend to use that so much.

And yes you can use adhesive covers over the complete sensor if you wish.

Yes these seem to be popular. Do you find them really uncomfortable to remove? Are they easy to peel off the libre without removing it? Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for this. I think that wee trick for winter aplication will be helpful

It's just to take the chill of things by playing warm air & help with the tackyness of adhesion. Please don't cook it! ;)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I simply put a 'Tegaderm' patch over my libre and it never comes off (or hasn't done in 2 years) and I can put my Miaomiao over the top of the patch so when that falls off it doesn't take the Libre with it.

Reactions: Ledzeptt and porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I use the inside of my arm, less likely to knock it off on a door frame unless you walk around with your arm in the air!
I am one of the lucky ones where the Libre sticks to me like a limpet!...

Reactions: Foxglove11

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @Foxglove11 I’m also a fan of Tegaderm (I use the 6x7cm size which are about 50p each if bulk buying) and I place my sensor on the back of my arm (the only approved spot for accuracy). I’m always walking into door frames, but haven’t had lost one since using Tegaderm!

If interested, “Type One Talks” has added several YouTube videos comparing the accuracy of various sensor locations, for example:

P.s. He’s an interesting watch and has a Miomio competition at the moment (ends 31.08.2020).

Foxglove11

@Foxglove11 another alternative to creating more waste with Tegaderm is to put the sensor somewhere else. I know some people put them on their chest and have no accuracy problems.
I put mine further under my arm where I can find a flatter spot .. and less likely to knock it off.

Yeah this is my problem. I've just placed a new one today on the inner side of my arm to try but managed to catch it while holding a patient in the form of a rather large dog :banghead:

It stayed in place but is now very tender. Checked the readings with a finger prick and is still accurate.

I think I will need to resort to covering it otherwise I'm going to loose them every few days at this rate