Type 2 Apixaban

Sugar Plum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list.
Type 2 Diabetes controlled by 2 - 500mg tabs Metformin and 2 - 40mg tabs Gliclazide daily.

For many years I was on Warfarin and had to have frequent blood tests which were very inconvenient and annoying.

About 8 years ago my Doctor changed me on to 2 - 2.5mg tabs of Apixaban daily, which does not need frequent blood monitoring and I have been fine ever since. I have a Diabetes blood test now every 6 months, which is much more satisfactory.

What does the Forum think of Apixaban in lieu of Warfarin ?

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 Diabetes controlled by 2 - 500mg tabs Metformin and 2 - 40mg tabs Gliclazide daily.

For many years I was on Warfarin and had to have frequent blood tests which were very inconvenient and annoying.

About 8 years ago my Doctor changed me on to 2 - 2.5mg tabs of Apixaban daily, which does not need frequent blood monitoring and I have been fine ever since. I have a Diabetes blood test now every 6 months, which is much more satisfactory.

IMO the new anti-coagulants are vastly preferable to Warfarin. Not only are they much easier for the patient, as you have found, but there have been a number of research studies which have shown them to be more effective.

I suffer from Atrial Fibrillation. For years hospital doctors and my GP nagged me to go on to Warfarin, (standard treatment to lower the risk of stroke in AF patients) but I refused. I knew I couldn't cope with Warfarin, and I also knew that once I turned 70 I would be considered eligible for one of the NOACs. Eventually I was prescribed Apixaban. Initially I was happy with this, as it seemed to have the best record of all the NOACs, but when I read the leaflet that came with Apixaban I discovered that it can raise blood glucose. I therefore asked to be changed on to Dabigatran, which works in a different way. I have been taking it ever since and have not had any problems. Btw I also take Metformin.

If you didn't notice any rise in your bg after changing to Apixaban, I would just rejoice that medicine has improved so much and keep on with a peaceful mind.

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food

Hi
I am T2 and on Glimeperimide and numerous other meds for various conditions.
I have Anti-Thrombin Defficiency 3 and since diagnosis in 2003 (following investigations following my 23 yr old Sons' sudden death from a Pulmonary Embolism) I was put on 75mg of Aspirin per day.
I unfortunately had a very large DVT in my left leg Autumn 2019 and was put straight on Apaxiban. To start with 5mg x2 twice a day for 10 days, then reduced to 5mg x1 twice a day for 6 months and since May this year a life long dose of 2.5 mg x 2 a day.
I have been fine apart from bleeding hard if I cut myself and I bruise easily.
The Consultant favoured Apaxiban over Warfain due to my age (61) and the fact my Kidneys are in a1 nick!
Having not been on Warfarin I can't compare but my friend is on it and obvs has to have regular blood tests and has to avoid certain foods. Curiously she is the same age as me but her GP won't change her over.
Hope you continue to do well on it.

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Hi
I am T2 and on Glimeperimide and numerous other meds for various conditions.
I have Anti-Thrombin Defficiency 3 and since diagnosis in 2003 (following investigations following my 23 yr old Sons' sudden death from a Pulmonary Embolism) I was put on 75mg of Aspirin per day.
I unfortunately had a very large DVT in my left leg Autumn 2019 and was put straight on Apaxiban. To start with 5mg x2 twice a day for 10 days, then reduced to 5mg x1 twice a day for 6 months and since May this year a life long dose of 2.5 mg x 2 a day.
I have been fine apart from bleeding hard if I cut myself and I bruise easily.
The Consultant favoured Apaxiban over Warfain due to my age (61) and the fact my Kidneys are in a1 nick!
Having not been on Warfarin I can't compare but my friend is on it and obvs has to have regular blood tests and has to avoid certain foods. Curiously she is the same age as me but her GP won't change her over.
Hope you continue to do well on it.
I meant to add....I didn't notice any rise in my BG's since starting it.