Treatment type
Diet only
This is my favorite recipe of chicken mushroom soup

2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound boneless chicken breasts, diced
1/2 cup diced carrot
1 large rib celery, diced
12 to 16 ounces sliced mushrooms, a combination of fresh mushroom varieties, if desired
1 clove garlic, minced
4 green onions, sliced
2 tablespoons flour
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Fresh ground black pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream

In a large saucepan, heat butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and stir until tender but not browned.
Add diced chicken, carrot, and celery; cook, stirring, until chicken is nearly cooked through.
Add the mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring, until mushrooms are tender. Stir in flour until blended; add chicken broth and thyme.
Bring to a simmer, stirring. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook for about 10 to 16 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste; stir in cream and heat through.

Reactions: PurrrdyP

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Mine's Tom Yum Talay. You need a jar of Tom Yum because making it from scratch is a pain. Then chuck in any bits of fish and some chopped pak choi

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I really enjoy the cauliflower soup (diet doctor recipe) I adapted it by adding fresh cheese rather than the cream cheese. Quick and easy to make, very filling and a good choice for a warm lunch at work.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a soup but a broth.
I was asked to post my recipe for a beef bone broth on another thread so here it is.

Beef bone broth

I use a pressure cooker (2 hours under pressure). You can use a standard pan but it takes a while (about 24 hours). Diced veg works better than whole.

Ingredients:
Beef bones: depending upon the size of your pan: I use about 1kg or a bit more and a mix of marrow bones and some bones with a bit of meat on – anything you can get from your butcher really. You can even mix- beef, pork, chicken (feet are good at achieving a really glutenous result) – I also chuck in a frozen chicken carcass if there is one in the freezer.

2 onions (keep the outer layers), roughly diced
2 celery sticks, roughly diced
2 carrots, roughly diced
2 bay leaves
2 or 3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
About 2 litres cold water
2 tablespoons light soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce) or perhaps some fish sauce
Your favourite fresh or dried herbs if you like
A chunk of ginger if you like – about a thumb size
A good glug or two of apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil

1. Heat oven to 200c or use a frying pan. – drizzle olive oil onto bones and then roast or sauté to brown a bit.
2. Pack roasted/sautéed bones and any fat and deglazed bits into pressure cooker/pan and cover with water. Glug in the apple cider vinegar and leave for 20 minutes or so – the apple cider vinegar helps to draw out nutrients from the bones.
3. Dice up the veg and then put them, together with the remaining ingredients into the pan.
4. Pressure cook on high for 2 hours then turn off the heat and let cool under pressure – or – simmer very low for 24 hours topping up with water as necessary and let cool.

Once cooled, strain through a colander and pop into the fridge for an hour or so. You can then cut off the fat crust (I melt this into pots and keep in the fridge for high heat frying).
If the resulting broth is not beginning to thicken and get jelly like, then simmer off some liquid to thicken a bit. Once at the right consistency, pour cooled broth into ice cube trays and shove in the freezer to be used for soups, broths and other flavourings.

Oh! And the stuff left in the colander - pick through it. Save nice meat bits, lumps of marrow, veg and blend with a little of the broth to a thickish paste. You can also freeze this in ice cube trays or such like and use as a base for soups.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This isn't technically a stew, but it is stew meat. I tried it tonight for the first time and love it!

I put the stew meat (beef chunks cut up for stew) in my Crock-Pot and added enough cabernet sauvignon (1g carbs, - sugar) to almost cover, and cooked it on low for a couple of hours. The beef turned out very tender and delicious, and the wine left in the pot is tasty too.

You should have seen my cat sniffing the air! I usually share my meat with her, but not when it's cooked in wine!

Reactions: martint761

Hungry19

Tonight made a Chicken Bone Broth soup. Will last few days. Chose a Waitrose Organic Chicken. Roasted it. Then boiled left overs with nutritional yeast-salt/pepper.
. Left over bones/meat/gelatine were then put in ninja blitzed into thick chicken soup with stock .
Can add mushrooms too for tomorrow.
Am happy as this soup is a food that can be consumed while fasting and always good to ward of illness at this time of year.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrsonKartt

Hungry19

Onion Soup

Fry onions in butter. Put in saucepan with water, salt/pepper/nutritional yeast/stock.
Boil, simmer, I added double cream to each bowl - but you can add to pan.

Very enjoyable

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I couldn't do my usual shopping this week (long story ) so I scratched around and found half a leek 1frozen courgette the end of a piece of celeriac 2cloves of garlic half a red chilli threw the lot in my pressure cooker covered with water and a veg stock cube ,cooked for about 10 mins then blitzed and served with a swirl of cream and it was delicious
CAROL
this is whats called Fridge Soup - can get some really great results.

samiara

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Please feel free to post all your favourite soup and stew ideas and tips .

I sometimes get stuck when fancy or need a change .

Same ' old ' repeated soups and stews can get a tad boring .

Some new ideas and inspiration are needed especially as we are approaching the coming winter .
You could try soup of beetroot,bottle gourd,cabbage,tomato and lots of coriander.Add a adequate amount of salt while boiling these vegetables.This soup is good for heart health,dental health and also skin.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ginger Chicken Soup with Papaya (inspired by a Philippine recipe called, "Tinola")

Chicken drumsticks
1/4 cup sliced fresh ginger
3 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely diced
onions, diced
1 teaspoon of black peppercorn, roughly crushed
Salt
1 cubanelle pepper (optional ), sliced in big chunks, or halved
1 small papaya (still firm to the touch - not too ripe), optional (peeled, seeded and sliced in nice chunks)
(I like the papaya medium ripe or almost fully ripe - as long as it's not too soft!)
A bunch of bokchoy (or Napa cabbage)

1. Place chicken drumsticks, ginger, onions, garlic, and peppercorn in a soup pan, adding water that barely covers the stuffs in the pan. You don't want the soup to be too watery - you want the flavor intensed. Bring to boil, then lower heat to medium-low, letting it simmer, uncovered. Add salt (depending on your taste).

2. After 10 minutes, add the cubanelle pepper, and let it simmer for another 10 minutes. Adjust the salt.
3. Add the papaya, and cover. Let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
4. Add the bokchoy or Napa, and bring it back to boil - covered.
Once it starts boiling, remove the pot from heat but leave the cover on for about 5 minutes.
The bokchoy will cook from the heat inside the pot (and it will retain that nice vibrant green color).
Enjoy.

Note: you can substitute papaya with, or add potatoes and/or carrots. But being on low-carb, limit it to papaya (minding the portions of papaya you have).

The ingredients in this soup are so nutritious!

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my favourite soup recipe ever. It's from the Vegetarian Meals book by Rosamond Richardson and it's perfect for autumn.
Pumpkin Soup.
675g pumpkin
100g butter
150ml milk
150ml cream
Salt and pepper

Cut pumpkin flesh into small cubes. Heat butter in a pan and cook pumpkin gently until pulpy. Liquidise with the milk, add the cream and heat through. Season to taste and serve.

There was a bay leaf in the original recipe but I couldn't work out whether to remove it before getting to work with the stick blender so I left it out altogether. Anyway this soup is delicious.

meemsy

Soups are also the best way to use up all the things that need using up. I love spicy vegetable soups, but also adapt them and add whatever meat I have too. If I fancy a rich meat soup, I often marinade lamb or beef with spices (indian spices or jerk seasoning, and a little scotch bonnet or chilli), and then brown this in a pot with lots of onion, garlic, salt and pepper. After this I add all the veg and simmer for about 1.5hrs or until really soft, depending on the cuts of meat. Meat on the bone tends to be nicer and gives the soup extra depth of flavour. With vegetable soups I try to toast spices where possible beforehand e.g cumin seeds and fry these with onion, garlic and seasoning etc before adding all the veg. I also like to add a knob of good quality butter to give a bit more flavour.

Reactions: Nottie

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach
Please feel free to post all your favourite soup and stew ideas and tips .

I sometimes get stuck when fancy or need a change .

Same ' old ' repeated soups and stews can get a tad boring .

Some new ideas and inspiration are needed especially as we are approaching the coming winter .

My top tip, is to buy a soupmaker. As a college-trained former chef, I used to feel that I should be slaving over a stove, but the soupmaker can just get on with it, while I do other things. Don't recommend them for chunky soups but for really good smmoth soups, they are excellent. Using a soupmaker, you can avoid flour in a recipe and just thicken with creme fraiche double cream, thick yogurt or sour cream, at the end.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My top tip, is to buy a soupmaker. As a college-trained former chef, I used to feel that I should be slaving over a stove, but the soupmaker can just get on with it, while I do other things. Don't recommend them for chunky soups but for really good smmoth soups, they are excellent. Using a soupmaker, you can avoid flour in a recipe and just thicken with creme fraiche double cream, thick yogurt or sour cream, at the end.
How does this differ from my soup maker which is a sauce pan and stick blender?