Fasting blood tests on insulin?

chocoholic

I know this might seem a daft question but if you are on insulin is it correct that you can never do a fasting test? I ask because I had to have a Gad blood test today and was unsure if I was supposed to fast, so played it safe and did not eat or have insulin afte10.00 last night. I then got a right lecture from a Mrs Hitler receptionist, who told me it wasn't a fasting test and I'd have to wait for another hour or so behind everyone else for the test. When I explained about me being diabetic and not having my insulin as I was unsure about the test being fasting or not, she gave me a right mouthful in front of the whole waiting room of people. It was not necessary or needed at 8.20 this morning. I was later told by a more friendly soul that I should never have a fasting test done or even go out without having had my insulin. Well, no one ever told me before, so I apologised and I will know next time. BUT I looked in Bernstein's book, as I recall seeing him say that a true lipid reading should be done as a fasting test. I know that's not what I was having today but for future reference, can I have a fasting test or not?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I wish I could help Choccie but I've done a search and can't find an answer.I would ask your doctor for a definitive answer so that you know for definite the next time they want to test.

loopy-loo

Hi,
This isn't a definitive answer, but in the past I have always been asked by the consultant/gp/nurse if I feel able to have a fasting test, the answer has always been a resounding no, but since going low carb in april I feel I could cope with that now as everything is so much more predictable, hence I have one booked for november.

I was always told to cut my basal units back and under no circumstances to put myself in danger of a hypo, they can always reschedule another test.

We also have a jobs worth receptionist at my local surgery, she wouldn't give me my blood test results over the phone even though 2 weeks earlier she had phoned me to ask what insulin and pens I wanted to change to - as it had been noted that I obviously knew what I wanted and it would save time to ask me directly! How do they get past the interview?

Hope you have better luck next time.

Best wishes
lindsey

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Husband Peter T1, does get awsked to do fasting tests usually. He just takes his bolus later

chocoholic

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully by the time ihave to have another test done I'll be off the Novomix30 and onto the basal/bolus system, which might then be okay to fast on.

Katharine

You can have a fasting test if you take your basal shot.

Because the novomix has both the basal and the meal insulin in it you would ideally have the fasting test done before your first novomix shot and the breakfast.

You must not give yourself novomix and then nip out to the surgery to get fasting bloods taken or you will keel over with a hypo.

I think you had figured this out but you won't be the only one in this spot.