What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal that heat sounds a bit unbearable - it’s cooler and cloudy here plus a shower just although still going out to water tomato pots as won’t be here tomorrow. Plus good luck for medichecks blood draw and opticians hope will be cooler for you.
@DJC3 absolutley thrilled about your news yay! Def a fizzy wine occasion
@SlimLizzy good to see mr slim back hope things settle
@Annb interesting about your cleaner - who knows? So much we don’t know - take care of yourself.

My good news for today is I got a 45 min swim in my local pool first thing - yay can’t tell you how much I enjoyed it. I’ve booked two early am slots for next week too. ( for before mum wakes up!) So few of us in a large pool had lane to myself enjoyed it much more than usual pre covid early morning jostle for space to swim in.

Lunch leftover frittata and some salted almonds and lc seeded crackers followed by one lc truffle
Dinner sea bream in lemon butter with celeriac chips and asparagus with glass of dry white wine diluted with soda water. Pudding two spoons of the half price OPPO ice cream again with cream - it tastes so naughty!

Off to Yorkshire in am to pack and sort mum to bring her down on Sunday.thankfully she’s not in the new lockdown area so plans still ok. May be a few days before record what I’ve eaten as likely to be rushing around even more than usual!

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for your congratulatory messages. I haven’t caught up with the last few days on here yet so I’ve probably missed a lot of good stuff.
I did mention your chocolate spread and pickled onion sandwiches to 7yo Evie @Goonergal she pondered it for a few seconds then declared that pickled egg would probably go better with it!
Today’s food black coffee lots of in very hot and long journey back to Cornwall.
Lunch bought from M&S at service stn en route. Prawn and Marie rose mayo and prosciutto wrapped cheese rollitos. 1 Montezuma’s chocolate peanut butter mini egg.
Dinner prepared by daughters for our arrival home was lamb meatballs with a tomato based sauce and crumbled feta cheese. Roast broccoli. Bit too much of a bg rise afterwards ( prob too much onion, tomato and carrot in the recipe) but never mind for a one off. It was a nice thought
@shelley262 glad you got back to the swimming pool home the journey up to Yorks goes well.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast 2xCWC nut granola.
Mid Morning cwc
Lunch salad sardines and half a peach. Water.
Water and wine about 5pm
Dinner roast celeriac, French and runner beans, breaded place,(11g carbs) Greek yoghurt and cream. White wine. Water
Larter finished up the leftover beans. 2 squares 85% chocolate. And cheese. about 100g.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So pleased at everyone's good news

B. 90 second mug bread but cooked in plastic box so looked like slice of bread. Was a bit dry so added cheese. A handful of blueberries
L. Nothing as very expensive visit to dentists
D. A scotch egg... then I read the packet and carbs!!!
later 2 glasses white wine and 5 of hubby's chips when at pub

Must get back to tracking

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Naked Scotch Eggs.

I found a couple of recipes online that used Parmesan in place of breadcrumbs. But I thought I'd prefer them without. Tastier than the shop bought ones, and not significantly more expensive. I made them yesterday, but will be having the last two for lunch today.

I might make some more, with minced beef rather than pork. See what they're like.

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_142515.jpg
    IMG_20200731_142515.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 262

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So pleased at everyone's good news

B. 90 second mug bread but cooked in plastic box so looked like slice of bread. Was a bit dry so added cheese. A handful of blueberries
L. Nothing as very expensive visit to dentists
D. A scotch egg... then I read the packet and carbs!!!
later 2 glasses white wine and 5 of hubby's chips when at pub

Must get back to tracking

Personally, I don't cook in anything plastic, but would maybe consider using a pyrex/glass variation of the box.

We have several items from this range at IKEA. The tops and bottoms all interchange (subject to dimensions, obviously), and lids can be bought independently to the bottoms. You can also buy replacement gaskets. This is very useful when someone puts a clip top lid in the oven believing it will not warp. They warp,

Pyrex do similar containers, but IKEA is a good deal cheaper and far more mix and match.

IKEA can be a nightmare, but for some things, they're just ace.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Some time back, there was a recipe for low carb tuna melts on this forum, but I don't think I copied it and now I could do with it. The recipes I can find on the internet are all very carb heavy. Does anyone have the recipe?

FBG 10.7 rising to 13.4 after a couple of hours so fairly early on - insulin and yoghurt with mixed berries. We'll see what that does.

BG yesterday didn't get below 10 at any stage. Probably won't today either. On the advice of the diabetic nurse, I upped the basal insulin to 48 from 44 last night. She said she'd call again tomorrow to find out how I get on. So far, not particularly good.

I thought tuna would be a good idea for a meal later in the day, but not sure how to make it.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some time back, there was a recipe for low carb tuna melts on this forum, but I don't think I copied it and now I could do with it. The recipes I can find on the internet are all very carb heavy.

I thought tuna would be a good idea for a meal later in the day, but not sure how to make it.
I use 1 tin drained tuna (about 110g) blitzed in hand blender with 1 egg and a bit of baking powder (optional). Then cook in shallow container or on plate in microwave 3-4 minutes or oven 15-20 minutes. Then top with cheese and grill (or eat plain)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use 1 tin drained tuna (about 110g) blitzed in hand blender with 1 egg and a bit of baking powder (optional). Then cook in shallow container or on plate in microwave 3-4 minutes or oven 15-20 minutes. Then top with cheese and grill (or eat plain)

Thanks so much for that. I'll be making that later today.

Just checked BG again, after my yoghurt and berries - up to 16.1! I have some mushroom soup on the go, so I'll finish it off and keep it until tomorrow. Tuna melts today.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for that. I'll be making that later today.

Just checked BG again, after my yoghurt and berries - up to 16.1! I have some mushroom soup on the go, so I'll finish it off and keep it until tomorrow. Tuna melts today.
It is quite filling. I have kept some in fridge for next day

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@DJC3 - chocolate spread and pickled eggs...:hungover: gross! The only time I could ever eat pickled eggs was when I was pregnant

We had the most amazing thunderstorm and torrential rain here last night after it had got up to 34c in the garden yesterday afternoon. Much cooler (and nicer) today.

Breakfast: Longley cottage cheese with a tablespoon of carb free syrup(cherry) and flaked almonds
Lunch: either nothing or a crispbread with cream cheese
Dinner: Mr C is cooking - lentil Dahl, Bombay celeriac, French bean masala, chard and paneer and, hopefully, an aubergine curry - with cauliflower rice

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funnily enough it turns out that the shop bought (Asda) scotch egg didn't raise my bg. Well under the 2 even though it was 16-18g of cards.

@DCUKMod good point. I'd simply looked for something shaped like bread that would go in microwave. you might be interested in podcast 124 on the low carb md podcast. dr Antony Jay
http://lowcarbmd.com/episode-124-dr-anthony-jay?mc_cid=0e25223670&mc_eid=c7bfae0aaa

Thanks for that, MrsA2. I'll get around to watching the podcast later, I hope. Is there anything in particular you feel I might find useful, or just generally?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday bed 8.6 FBG 7.3. BGs still a bit up and down (so I get where you're coming from @Annb & @Chook). @shelley262- wonderful you can get back in the pool. No prospect of that up here. I suspect that's part of my problem since the gym, swimming and Aqua were my means of exercise as they are supervised and safe for me. What I don't get is why Bingo Halls are getting to open but not gyms. Gyms have a well established hygiene regime already. @DJC3 - so glad to hear the scan went well. My brother's was delayed another 6 months so it will be a year before they catch up (maybe). @PenguinMum glad to hear Mr PM survived the hospital trip.
Hubby's recovery continues. He is actually listening a bit now I have been proved right. I'm still remaining in another bedroom until he's been clear 48 hrs.
B. Slice toasted Hilo with ham and coleslaw. TAG.
L. Nothing. Took son to shops in the midst of torrential rain.
D. Made an adapted Nigella dish. Hers was spaghetti, I substituted Lidl's high protein noodles. The "sauce" was made with tuna, spring onion, garlic, lemon juice and zest, olive oil and rocket. It was fine, not exceptional, but made a nice change. Scoop of Halo Top strawberry cheesecake and 4 strawberries.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Naked Scotch Eggs.

I found a couple of recipes online that used Parmesan in place of breadcrumbs. But I thought I'd prefer them without. Tastier than the shop bought ones, and not significantly more expensive. I made them yesterday, but will be having the last two for lunch today.

I might make some more, with minced beef rather than pork. See what they're like.
There's a mix I use that's LC using Almond flour, golden milled flax, parmesan and sesame seeds that produces a crispy coating. I use it for loads of things and vary it slightly with flavourings and spices depending on what I'm cooking.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some time back, there was a recipe for low carb tuna melts on this forum, but I don't think I copied it and now I could do with it. The recipes I can find on the internet are all very carb heavy. Does anyone have the recipe?

FBG 10.7 rising to 13.4 after a couple of hours so fairly early on - insulin and yoghurt with mixed berries. We'll see what that does.

BG yesterday didn't get below 10 at any stage. Probably won't today either. On the advice of the diabetic nurse, I upped the basal insulin to 48 from 44 last night. She said she'd call again tomorrow to find out how I get on. So far, not particularly good.

Might have been the Diet Doctor one. I know a few of us have made this and it is delicious. You have to make oopsie bread too but it is pretty straightforward.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-tuna-cheese-melt

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.2 FBG 6.3. Glorious day Friday followed by torrential rain at night. I'm still doing everything since, although Hubby is starting to eat again he's surprised how weak he is! Don't know why. He is consuming the Lucozade orange and water now so hydration is going better. I started on another kitchen gut. Things were starting to get out of place so I decided to give it a good clean and a sort as you go before it gets bad.
B. Slice toasted Hilo with ox tongue and coleslaw. TAG.
L. Nothing.
D. The thin beef wrapped around sliced peppers and red onion in the chilli/tomato sauce. Had it with veggie chips. 2 squares Godiva and a Nairn's choc chip oatcake.

@SlimLizzy - so glad to see Mr Slim is back with you again.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - chocolate spread and pickled eggs...:hungover: gross! The only time I could ever eat pickled eggs was when I was pregnant

We had the most amazing thunderstorm and torrential rain here last night after it had got up to 34c in the garden yesterday afternoon. Much cooler (and nicer) today.

Breakfast: Longley cottage cheese with a tablespoon of carb free syrup(cherry) and flaked almonds
Lunch: either nothing or a crispbread with cream cheese
Dinner: Mr C is cooking - lentil Dahl, Bombay celeriac, French bean masala, chard and paneer and, hopefully, an aubergine curry - with cauliflower rice

Yes I agree it sounds gross. Definitely more Letitia Cropley. I like pickled eggs though, just not with chocolate spread!
Your dinner sounds wonderful. Bombay celeriac is inspired.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a mix I use that's LC using Almond flour, golden milled flax, parmesan and sesame seeds that produces a crispy coating. I use it for loads of things and vary it slightly with flavourings and spices depending on what I'm cooking.
Thank you that could be very useful!