Carb fuelled weight gain!!

Paulm80

So.... I’ve maintained my weight at about 14 stone for 6-8 months(down from 18 this time last year) now, not dieting just low carb and was happy enough at 14 anyway.
Went away for our anniversary this weekend to a vineyard, despite the masses of wine I did relax on the carbs, had some bread, biscuits etc... numbers were fine as kept a eye on them so was quite chuffed , maybe I can get away with eating these things sometimes....
However got home yesterday and I’ve gained half a stone in 3 days!!!
Is this even possible ???
Ultra low carb this week

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep.. sure its.. it's likely mostly water weight so get back on the carb free wagon and see it drop off.

Reactions: Paulm80

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The extra carbs in your body hold extra water. Most of that gain will be water. Stick to the plan this week and I would expect it to drop back closer to what you expect

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of a shock like, even ordered a new scales as I refused to believe it
Can happen really fast.. I'm taking hubs for a michelin starred lunch for his birthday in September and will probably eat bread for the first time in 5 years.. (they do the most amazing focaccia) expect to be significantly heavier the next day so I'll probably fast for a couple of days after that.

Paulm80

Can happen really fast.. I'm taking hubs for a michelin starred lunch for his birthday in September and will probably eat bread for the first time in 5 years.. (they do the most amazing focaccia) expect to be significantly heavier the next day so I'll probably fast for a couple of days after that.

Yep shows the evil these carbs do, ah well back to reality now!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So.... I’ve maintained my weight at about 14 stone for 6-8 months(down from 18 this time last year) now, not dieting just low carb and was happy enough at 14 anyway.
Went away for our anniversary this weekend to a vineyard, despite the masses of wine I did relax on the carbs, had some bread, biscuits etc... numbers were fine as kept a eye on them so was quite chuffed , maybe I can get away with eating these things sometimes....
However got home yesterday and I’ve gained half a stone in 3 days!!!
Ultra low carb this week

Yes. Speak to any woman at a certain time of the month.....

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to say a fast normally helps sort this out! I sometimes put on a couple of pounds after a higher carb meal with family when they come to visit and then I find a couple of days to fast during the week - that plus going back to low carb helps immensely :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely possible - just as going from a high carb diet back to low can cause half a stone to vanish in 3 days - it is weight, not fat.
So many people rubbish weightloss because it is 'water weight' and then get manic over the same amount of gain, because it is all fat - they just know.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

No problem at all. In my experience I've gained and then lost several kilos in a matter of a week.

Water retention has already been mentioned, that is certainly something that can explain what seems like a large gain in a short space of time. Naturally that will also explain a large loss in a short space of time. Simple dietary changes may explain water retention. Salt, for example, which is present in a lot of processed foods. You can also consume foods that are rich in magnesium, potassium and vitamin B6. (Source: WebMD, Harvard Medical School). That gain can have a bad psychological effect if you then decided to toss the diet out the window, it happens a lot. I weighed myself every day because then if my weight increased dramatically in a day, I knew it was more likely to be fluid than what or even how much I ate.

There might be a few things that you haven't considered. Slowing down of the intestinal transit time, you may not be technically what we consider as being constipated but if the transit time slows down, that's more stuff in the system.
Also, there is the question of insulin, could it be that if you've eaten more carbs than usual, especially if you are already insulin resistant, then you will have produced more insulin than usual. Insulin is a hormone that also controls the storage of fat.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All happened in 7 days!

Thanks for adding that. It shows what we all hoped, that your weight gain was transient, and not necessarily fat - or all fat. Hopefully that might help someone else travelling on a similar path to you.

Well done in getting it back in days though. That has to be commended.

Onward and up/down/level. :)