My gut feels like a rollercoaster. Won't stop gurgling.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
For the past few months now. Everytime I have something to eat or drink, my gut is always churning and feels like something is stuck on my left side. It is really persistent and I fart like crazy, the farts are even worse and when I injected my insulin the other day after having breakfast, I had to go the toilet immediately and was really loose. My blood sugar was a bit high, but it came back down to 5.2.

Before lockdown in February, I was admitted into hospital as I was having extreme pain in my gut and I think it's come back again.

I can't see my doctor as everytime I try too I can't get an appointment.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Before lockdown in February, I was admitted into hospital as I was having extreme pain in my gut and I think it's come back again.
What conclusion did they come to about it, did they investigate at all? Did you not get a diagnosis or guess as to what it was?
I can't see my doctor as everytime I try too I can't get an appointment.
Insist on an appointment, see if you can get an emergency appointment with them - its been going on for months now, it needs checking out - tell them you don't want to end up in A&E again

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What conclusion did they come to about it, did they investigate at all? Did you not get a diagnosis or guess as to what it was?

Insist on an appointment, see if you can get an emergency appointment with them - its been going on for months now, it needs checking out - tell them you don't want to end up in A&E again

At first they thought it was appendicitis, but the pain was more significant on my left side than my right side. Then they put me on antibiotics and said that my gut was inflamed.

I can only get a telephone appointment and their next available one is on Monday.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The recorded message on my doctors' appointment phone number says to go to A&E if it's urgent.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Insist the GP gives you an appointment - he has to. Complain to the Practice Manager if not. Go to A&E if necessary or call 111

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Insist the GP gives you an appointment - he has to. Complain to the Practice Manager if not. Go to A&E if necessary or call 111

I can only get a telephone appointment and I've already tried 111 online and they said to see my GP

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does it radiate into your back?? I can’t diagnose as I’m no expert but my gp said to me if you get persistent pain in the tummy and it radiates into your lower back it could be a sign of pancreatitis. What medication are you taking? Other than insulin.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@akindrat18 I’d urge you to either insist on an urgent appointment with your GP or get yourself to A&E.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Does it radiate into your back?? I can’t diagnose as I’m no expert but my gp said to me if you get persistent pain in the tummy and it radiates into your lower back it could be a sign of pancreatitis. What medication are you taking? Other than insulin.

It doesn't go into my back, it just stays in my tummy. I am taking Novorapid, Tresiba, Metformin SR, Victoza, Tostran Gel.

@akindrat18 I’d urge you to either insist on an urgent appointment with your GP or get yourself to A&E.

Why would I need to go A&E, it's not that serious that I can't work. I almost called 111 on Monday, but my mum said to let the insulin get into my system before I do anything else.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't go into my back, it just stays in my tummy. I am taking Novorapid, Tresiba, Metformin SR, Victoza, Tostran Gel.

Why would I need to go A&E, it's not that serious that I can't work. I almost called 111 on Monday, but my mum said to let the insulin get into my system before I do anything else.

Your pain must be bad otherwise why are you asking for advice on here? If you won't go to A&E, and you won't phone 111, then you must demand an urgent appointment from your GP.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another suggesting that you need to get medical advice. Any pain that you can't account for needs to be considered by a medical professional. We cannot give medical advice here but v=can certainly suggest you need medical advice.

Having said that I find if I chew sugar free gum I can get gas so I'm not sure whether that is something that may apply. Even if it does apply get medical treatment. It is not worth the risk.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn’t true that almost all gp’s are initiating contact with a phone call as a screen mechanism, hopefully followed up with an in person appointment or referral where appropriate.

I’d definitely echo that at this call you need to be insistent that it be followed through and not dismissed.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
@akindrat18 What about metformin? Sounds really like it to me…

You could try OTC products as a holding measure, whilst awaiting medical evaluation -
INFACOL drops at meal times,
"Gaviscon" liquid, Tesco do their own brand - in a small bottle, it's great, at bedtime then increase to with meals+.

The best of luck!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@akindrat18 - How are things now? If your system is is very "windy", are your bowels performing in whatever way is normal for you?

Persistent pain needs investigation.

Our GP has declared that all appointments will be by telephone, in the first instance. Allegedly, if one needs an appointment, one will receive a call back, on the same day, by either a GP or Advanced Nurse Practitioner, to assess the best way forward. From there an appointment will be made, prescription arranged, or advice given.

Fortunately, I haven't had to put it to the test, so far, but I think this is the sort of thing many surgeries are trying to operate.

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes

The fact you can go to work doesn't mean it's not serious. You're obviously concerned and if you can't get a GP go to A&E.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@akindrat18 - How are things now? If your system is is very "windy", are your bowels performing in whatever way is normal for you?

Persistent pain needs investigation.

Our GP has declared that all appointments will be by telephone, in the first instance. Allegedly, if one needs an appointment, one will receive a call back, on the same day, by either a GP or Advanced Nurse Practitioner, to assess the best way forward. From there an appointment will be made, prescription arranged, or advice given.

Fortunately, I haven't had to put it to the test, so far, but I think this is the sort of thing many surgeries are trying to operate.

I don't know what my bowels are normally like as they change day to day. But when I fart and it's like more than 40 a day, it clears the whole room out. If I have to go toilet in my house, I am always the last one, as my farts have been described as the smell of a pack of dead dogs.

As for the pain it comes and goes. I just can't eat any big meals or else I end up with diarrhoea and hearing my gut churn.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what my bowels are normally like as they change day to day. But when I fart and it's like more than 40 a day, it clears the whole room out. If I have to go toilet in my house, I am always the last one, as my farts have been described as the smell of a pack of dead dogs.

As for the pain it comes and goes. I just can't eat any big meals or else I end up with diarrhoea and hearing my gut churn.

What's your diet like at the moment? I know a number of folks report they have much more gastric distress when they eat carb-heavy, whilst taking Metformin.

You really do need this investigated, and to have medical support with that. If your telephone appointment is Tuesday, that's not too ong to wait now, although if it becomes extreme, the A&E it is.

Nobody should be ignoring persistent pain or gastric upset. That can be a dangerous thing to do.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just made a requèst for 111 to call me back as it's gotten a lot worse now and can't get a urgent appointment with my doctor

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How are you today,@akindrat18 ?

Managing okay today. Making some changes to what I eat and drink, when I eat and how.

Got to pick up some over the counter Imodium tomorrow from the pharmacist, staying away from eating KFC and takeaways (so are my parents), going try to do some intermittent fasting and not eat anything from 8pm till 8am, as I am still snacking and need to set some limitations.