Watergirl

Hi everyone, I’ve recently checked my blood sugar using the Accu Chek Aviva as I was:
  1. Sleeping long hours and permanently tired
  2. Weeing every 30 mins a large amount (nearly filling disposable plastic toilet)
The level was 12.9 mmol/l
Is that very high?

From what I have read it’s best to do a fasting test in the morning. Do I have to not eat from a certain time the night before?

Many thanks,

Watergirl

Not had any diagnosis but was concerned that I might be prediabetic due to symptoms, but now wondering if I’m diabetic (T2)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We all have different eating regimes. I eat keto and as a result I am not hungry. I have brunch around 11.30 and my main meal around 3 to 4 pm.

One off tests are telling you nothing, you need an hba1c test from your doctor.

H e a look at the link in my signature.

Reactions: Watergirl

Watergirl

Just trying to gauge if that figure is of concern enough to talk to doctor. Rather than trying to think about eating regime at the mo, but thank you.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it’s concerning to you, then yes, I would certainly talk to your doc. I imagine s/he will send you for a blood test and then you will know for sure. If it’s diabetes, come back here and we can help you!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Watergirl,

Welcome to the forum.

12.9 mmol is bit higher than you would normally like to see. However, I agree with @xfieldok, a one-off reading doesn't really tell you much. Before testing, have you made sure there was nothing sweet on the finger you have used for testing? Was it is shortly after eating a high carb meal? Then it might not really mean anything.

Do have other symptoms such as frequent urination, thirst, exhaustion, maybe even unintended weight loss? (Though not all people with blood sugar problems experience these symptoms.)

Alternatively, you could do at least few more finger prick tests while making sure you have washed and carefully dried your hands before testing and having fasted at least for three or four hours before. This might give you a better idea if there is any concern.

As we can't diagnose on this forum, the standard advice generally is to see your GP for an HbA1c (which tests average blood sugar levels over three months) if you are concerned.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just trying to gauge if that figure is of concern enough to talk to doctor.
I would talk to your doctor about this, provided a second test reads highish as well. A random blood sugar of 12.9, especially in combination with symptoms suggest something is off.
All the best, and let us know what happens!

Watergirl

@Watergirl,

Welcome to the forum.

12.9 mmol is bit higher than you would normally like to see. However, I agree with @xfieldok, a one-off reading doesn't really tell you much. Before testing, have you made sure there was nothing sweet on the finger you have used for testing? Was it is shortly after eating a high carb meal? Then it might not really mean anything.

Do have other symptoms such as frequent urination, thirst, exhaustion, maybe even unintended weight loss? (Though not all people with blood sugar problems experience these symptoms.)

Alternatively, you could do at least few more finger prick tests while making sure you have washed and carefully dried your hands before testing and having fasted at least for three or four hours before. This might give you a better idea if there is any concern.

As we can't diagnose on this forum, the standard advice generally is to see your GP for an HbA1c (which tests average blood sugar levels over three months) if you are concerned.
Thanks for this. Yes the symptoms mentioned in first post. I’ll do a fasting test and a few more and then review. Thanks again

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi everyone, I’ve recently checked my blood sugar using the Accu Chek Aviva as I was:
  1. Sleeping long hours and permanently tired
  2. Weeing every 30 mins a large amount (nearly filling disposable plastic toilet)

Those symptoms (and yes they are consistent with diabetes but could be something else) are worth talking to your doctor about, irrespective of any blood test results. Don't delay.