Chinese restaurant

Brookesy

So, family visit to a Chinese where I’ve been told ‘i have to eat’ - I can get my blood sugars low (4-5) before going by manipulating my diet in advance. The restaurant is fairly typical / standard menu - any advice on the least bad thing I can get? (Baring in mind I’m also vegetarian, but not vegan)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So if you had severe allergy to shellfish, they'd take you to fish restaurant and make you eat?
All i can think is that the restaurant may do you an omelette and/or some stir-fry veg without a sauce. Perhaps call or visit before to discuss it with them?

Chinese food is the most difficult for diabetic, and the Chinese have a faster growing rate of diabetes than any other nation, even the US and it is because so much sugar has crept into their diets in sauces etc

Brookesy

To clarify - I like omelet, but not like that. Seafood - I’ve been taken, and I do have a shellfish allergy lol well intolerance more than allergy

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
perhaps suggest Indian next time? :) our local one does some very nice 'dry' dishes that don't raise my bs at all

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Stir fried tofu and veggies is always an option.. I live in Asia, I know how difficult ordering food can be

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
perhaps suggest Indian next time? :) our local one does some very nice 'dry' dishes that don't raise my bs at all
Hi @MrsA2 - I used to love indian food - was probably addicted many years ago - before diabetes - I very rarely have it now - may be once a year - can I ask what you have that does not affect your BS - I would love to know and I could perhaps have a little now and then again? - many thanks :hungry:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually just have an omlette if the family are having chinese food delivered to my house but would much prefer a curry!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @MrsA2 - I used to love indian food - was probably addicted many years ago - before diabetes - I very rarely have it now - may be once a year - can I ask what you have that does not affect your BS - I would love to know and I could perhaps have a little now and then again? - many thanks :hungry:
I have sea soup and second starter of dry lamb ulurtariou...ulthurio...ulurthriam..oh heck, .heres the menu
http://www.thekerala.co.uk/

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Justphil

I have had Diabetes type 1 since July and have had Indian twice, i order the Tandoori mixed grill, it comes with a vegetable curry. I tell them not to send the rice and instead to send two chapatis because chapatis are not made from wheat flour, (but i would check this at your local Indian.

I also order a Tarka Dhal (garlic flavoured lentil soup)

I have one chapati with the veg curry and save the tarka Dhal and one of the chapatis for my supper.

I dont eat the potatoes in the veg curry and my BGL stay nice and low.
You can also ask them to change the curry sauce, sometimes i swap this for a bhuna however the bhuna sauce can be very oily.

I will also add im a type 1 so take insulin. (So if it was slightly higher i just adjust that) but its never taken me above 7.5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi i am new to this forum so there is a lot to take in. Does anyone recommend anything you can eat from either Chinese or Indian. I am type 1 diabetic high sugar levels but past few days they have varied between 6-10

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi i am new to this forum so there is a lot to take in. Does anyone recommend anything you can eat from either Chinese or Indian. I am type 1 diabetic high sugar levels but past few days they have varied between 6-10
If you are trying to cut cabs then crispy duck without the panackes for chinese and a dry dish like tikka (chicken or lamb) for the inidan maybe with a low carb veg dish,.. spinach , aubergine or mushroom?