Understanding pasta ...

Alanjo99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my help booklet from the doctors it said it recommends wholewheat pasta over 'white' ...

Comparing the two , the white pasta has less carbs , less sugars (marginally)

There are every so slightly more fibre and protein in the wholewheat is that the reason ?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What type of diabetes do you have?

T1s find pasta a challenge to bolus for. T2s shouldn't touch any sort of pasta, bread, rice or spuds. And a lot more besides

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my help booklet from the doctors it said it recommends wholewheat pasta over 'white' ...

There are every so slightly more fibre and protein in the wholewheat is that the reason ?

Hi @Alanjo99 ,

Welcome to the forum.

It would be ideal if you completed your profile stating what meds you are prescribed?
The right people could then advise from experience regarding how they deal with the diet.

Hope this helps.!

Reactions: Alanjo99

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
From what I’ve read on this forum pasta is one of those things which affect people in different ways , from split bolus’s to taking insulin after you’ve eaten it , personally I take mine after I’ve eaten it 2 hours after , but as always it’s all individual to the individual , all I know is it’s deffo a longer acting carb for me
Stay safe be well

Reactions: Alanjo99

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Alanjo99,
I see you are saying that you are a Type 2 diabetic.
When I was diagnosed both my GP and Diabetic Nurse did their best to make my Diabetes worse!
They said to eat the same whole grain high carb low fat food that I had been eating for the last 10yrs.
Once I saw what people in this forum were doing and got myself a Blood Glucose meter I had definite proof that they were wrong and that I had to go LCHF and figure out by using the meter which carbs and how much of them I could tolerate.
There is no set value for everybody since we all have different genes and different gut biome.

Welcome to the real world!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Pasta is high in carbs and many T2s find that it pushes their BS too high. I am lucky in that if I cook, cool and reheat it my BS is not too badly affected. However I have tested my reaction so know that I can tolerate it.
Have you got a meter so that you know your reaction to different foods?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd heartily suggest binning the "help booklet"because it doesn't seem to be particularly "helpful".

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would eat the stuff that goes with the pasta. Pasta is a mind food, that standalone is perahps rather bland. Zoodles or cauliflower rice along with the protein and mostly sauce might hit the spot.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find courgettes a wholly acceptable substitute for pasta, they goes really well with virtually any pasta sauce. My favourite is courgette chunks with home-made bolognese sauce, smothered in cheese and baked in the oven. Yum!

I love courgettes, which is handy because now my 3 courgette plants have really hit their stride and I am starting to be overrun by the things... :cat: