Need help please

kjbd01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Black pudding, fast driving and rudeness
I've had type 2 for 2 years with ac1 of 48 and put on 500mg metformin 3 times a day. Eyes ok, feet ok. Cut out alcohol and cut down on sugar, bread etc. but next bloods showed ac1 of 65. Doc didn't believe I'd tried so put me on glicazide. Doc also did this over phone and I'd not seen this one since diagnosis. Now have hypos a couple of times a week. Bought myself glucose test kit and recording results. They are all over the place from really low to 9.7 and I don't know where to go from here. My docs still not seeing most people, I'm overdue two blood tests, no idea what's best if glucose is low or high. Any and all advise welcome. NB went from normal to diabetic in less than a year with no prediabetes!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
welcme to the forum.

What do you eat in a typical day please?

Reactions: kjbd01

kjbd01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Milky coffee and toast or cereal for breakfast. Fish and veg or sandwich for lunch, as many veg as I can find for supper with chicken or fish and at least three pieces of fruit - at least one of which is berries.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Milky coffee and toast or cereal for breakfast. Fish and veg or sandwich for lunch, as many veg as I can find for supper with chicken or fish and at least three pieces of fruit - at least one of which is berries.
Toast and cereal are carb problems
Veg could be depending what sort you have
The bread in the sandwich is carbs
The fruit, could be a problem depending what it is

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look at the link in my siganture.

Some changes to your diet could prove very helpful.

kjbd01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ive bought a book which shows how much carbs are in foods but doesn't say which are good for you, or advise what to eat for your meals. I'm not great at reading through lots of descriptive but I DO want to know what I should and should eat and when.

kjbd01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have a look at the link in my siganture.

Some changes to your diet could prove very helpful.
@xfieldok how do i do that please?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@kjbd01 If you are going to drop the amount of carbs you are eating (which is how a lot of the Type2's on this forum are controlling their diabetes) you must however talk to your doctor about the gliclazide, taking gliclazide and eating low carb as a Type 2 will more than likely cause hypos.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree with with @Rokaab. First I would change breakfast. Any reason why you can't eat bacon and eggs (no toast) or a mushroom omlette?

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive bought a book which shows how much carbs are in foods but doesn't say which are good for you, or advise what to eat for your meals. I'm not great at reading through lots of descriptive but I DO want to know what I should and should eat and when.

I use https://www.fatsecret.co.uk/ to analyse how many carbs in the food I'm eating. It's easy to join and it's free if you use it through a web browser. They charge for their app.

I put in everything I eat during the day, which gives me the net carbs which I count (I'm trying to keep under 20g).

Fatsecret is also good for planning meals, juggling meals around so you don't go above your daily carb quota. There are other websites that count your carbs/fat/protein/calories, eg https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Hello, as the others say welcome.
As stated previously low carb works for most of us, but perhaps keeping a food diary and regular testing 2 hours after eating might help.
Don't give up and perhaps regular posting on one of the many fasting posting threads might give you a handle on how things work for us. ie first test in the morning.

Reactions: DJC3 and kjbd01

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I should point out that though many of the T2s on here are practically ketogenic in their diets (eg less than 20g a day) this is because they've by testing that this is what suits their bodies best. Modern so called "healthy" diets tend to be packed full of carbs, many T2s achieve remission just by cutting down (eg start with less than 100g a day) and don't have to eliminate them altogether.

Let your meter be your guide and find out what suits your body.

And if you don't want to cook for breakfast (isn't that why people eat cereal?) try full fat Greek yoghurt with some berries....

Reactions: DJC3 and kjbd01